Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you think is the most technologically advanced?
Japan 141 46.38%
China 6 1.97%
South Korea 12 3.95%
Singapore 5 1.64%
Finland 5 1.64%
Germany 6 1.97%
France 4 1.32%
United Kingdom 8 2.63%
United States 99 32.57%
Australia 1 0.33%
Italy 0 0%
Switzerland 2 0.66%
Russia 3 0.99%
Other (specify) 12 3.95%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
It is funny you mention display technology, the LCD and plasma displays were both invented here in the U.S..
So what!!! Your post is rather dishonest. nothing that produced inventions in america came from america either, we can trace back every increment and knowledge to the past that was required!! shall we keep going back in time and play that game??? the U.S. military weapons wouldn't have existed without chinese inventions, i guess chinese should take credit for that too!

that display is less than two millimeters and it was NOT invented by americans. PERIOD. and get over it!

why can't you just give credit where it's due than being pig-headed? pfft.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
We will get the gadgets Japanese kids already have in about 2 years

Old 11-17-2009, 05:21 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,371 times
The first LCD tv was japanese.

Liquid crystal display television In 1988, Sharp Corporation introduced the first commercial LCD television, a 14" model.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I am sure your trains are very nice. I am not the least bit interested in trains for travel. The U.S. is much larger than Japan, if I want to say go to New York City, I will fly on a nice american made Boeing airplane. What do you have that compares to our Aerospace industry?
Ah yes because everyone in the US works for nasa and flies to space, we are talking about DAILY LIFE HERE. I live right next to Nasa btw.

Quote:
The higher population density in Japan makes this more practical, the one area where the higher speeds would most benifit the average person at home would be on demand video service, luckily for us here in the U.S. we can get On demand video by cable and satellite so I will make do with my slower internet.
I dont care about your excuse, you asked what is better, and I answered, one thing is better is internet. That is a fact.

Quote:
Please be more specific, I want to know details.
Why dont you go look it up online, takes a 1 second google search.

Quote:
I can get the latest Canon camera at the same time as you can in Japan,
I am sure glad Japanese companies adopted U.S. technology like digital sensors and autofocus that were invented here.
The digital age has been pioneered in Japan, the first digital camera on earth was Japanese.
Digital camera The first true digital camera that recorded images as a computerized file was the Fuji DS-1P, in 1988. It recorded to a 16 MB internal memory card that used a battery to keep the data in memory.

Now youre talking about inventions when you asked about things in daily life/household. Should i post the study showing japanese get new products the fastest again..?

Quote:
I believe the Iphone has 100,000 apps that run on it now, I think I can live with that. Apple is a California based company
Iphone is the only thing even close to japanese phones, still is pretty primitive though. The interface is nice but thats about it. I use an iphone now, but when I go back to Japan i cant wait to use docomo again..

Quote:
Built in backup cameras have been available for a long time, I had this on my motorhome nearly 20 years ago. U.S. built cars have been available with in dash computers for awhile now here, GPS was invented right here in the U.S.. Check out some of the high end motorhomes built here in the U.S. with full blown Home automation systems built in.
Because the average person has a motorhome..right. And built in camera is only one thing I said, you forgot to mention it guides you when youre going in reverse.

Quote:
We don't have the parking problems you have in Japan due to our larger land area, I applaud for your efforts to make the best of a bad situation
Do you live in the same USA that I do? Every downtown area i've been in the US has expensive and horrible parking.

Quote:
I said I can transfer money by cellphone to other accounts, including topping up pay as you go type cards you might use on a subway.
That has nothing to do with what the other guy said, that is still primitive. Japanese phones directly work as cards, meaning you can scan them.

Quote:
This message was typed on a PC using U.S. technology from Intel (a California company) and Microsoft operating system from the U.S.
Cool.

Let me guess, you have never visited Japan once in your life? Youre one of those "USA is the best" people? Name one thing you think the US is more advanced in when it comes to your daily life, I havent found a single thing. Trust me, travelling opens yourself up to many new things. The fact that youre here and have to ask about these things shows me you have never been to Japan.

We're not talking about military or nasa here. We are talking about technology the average american person uses and has access too in their every day life.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 PM

277 posts, read 626,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
So what!!! Your post is rather dishonest. nothing that produced inventions in america came from america either, we can trace back every increment and knowledge to the past that was required!! shall we keep going back in time and play that game??? the U.S. military weapons wouldn't have existed without chinese inventions, i guess chinese should take credit for that too!

that display is less than two millimeters and it was NOT invented by americans. PERIOD. and get over it!

Eastman Kodak invented the OLED technology, they licensed it to many companies.

I have nothing against Chinese people.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:02 PM

277 posts, read 626,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Ah yes because everyone in the US works for nasa and flies to space, we are talking about DAILY LIFE HERE. I live right next to Nasa btw.

Airplane flights are available to anyone, you do realize what the Aero part of Aerospace means don't you. While I did make my career in Aerospace, I still would have been able to take a plane trip anyways if hadn't.

Quote:
I dont care about your excuse, you asked what is better, and I answered, one thing is better is internet. That is a fact.
And I said I could live with you having faster internet.

Quote:
Why dont you go look it up online, takes a 1 second google search.
I'll pass if you can't tell me.

Quote:
The digital age has been pioneered in Japan, the first digital camera on earth was Japanese.
Sorry, we were sending digital images from space back in the 60s

Quote:
Digital camera The first true digital camera that recorded images as a computerized file was the Fuji DS-1P, in 1988. It recorded to a 16 MB internal memory card that used a battery to keep the data in memory.
But Kodak made a digital camera first.
Retro Thing: Kodak's First Digital Camera

Quote:
Now youre talking about inventions when you asked about things in daily life/household. Should i post the study showing japanese get new products the fastest again..?
Part of being technologically advanced is actually inventing the technology.

Quote:
Iphone is the only thing even close to japanese phones, still is pretty primitive though. The interface is nice but thats about it. I use an iphone now, but when I go back to Japan i cant wait to use docomo again..
Whatever.

Quote:
Because the average person has a motorhome..right. And built in camera is only one thing I said, you forgot to mention it guides you when youre going in reverse.
If I can see where I am going and there is room I don't need a guide.
Just because everybody does not have a motorhome, it does not mean that technology is not available, and we have in dash computers and GPS available in U.S. made cars.

Quote:
Do you live in the same USA that I do? Every downtown area i've been in the US has expensive and horrible parking.
Large cities do, not everybody works in a large city, many, many of us here have no problems with parking.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with what the other guy said, that is still primitive. Japanese phones directly work as cards, meaning you can scan them.
I feel so backwards here in the stone age. I still can accomplish the same thing.

Quote:
Cool.

Let me guess, you have never visited Japan once in your life? Youre one of those "USA is the best" people? Name one thing you think the US is more advanced in when it comes to your daily life, I havent found a single thing. Trust me, travelling opens yourself up to many new things. The fact that youre here and have to ask about these things shows me you have never been to Japan.
How do you suggest I get to Japan, maybe I could fly Japan Airlines and go there on a nice U.S. made jet. Most of JAL's fleet is Boeing planes.

Quote:
We're not talking about military or nasa here.
That is your prerogative, we do real well there.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Airplane flights are available to anyone, you do realize what the Aero part of Aerospace means don't you. While I did make my career in Aerospace, I still would have been able to take a plane trip anyways if hadn't.
What exactly does this have to do with anything? We have high speed trains, and airplanes.

Quote:
And I said I could live with you having faster internet.
Wrong you were making excuses and didnt just say "ok".

Quote:
I'll pass if you can't tell me.
Looks like google or youtube is too hard for you huh. I dont like talking about that.

Quote:
Sorry, we were sending digital images from space back in the 60s

But Kodak made a digital camera first.
Retro Thing: Kodak's First Digital Camera
The first true digital camera that recorded images as a computerized file was likely the Fuji DS-1P of 1988, which recorded to a 16 MB internal memory card that used a battery to keep the data in memory.

Sorry, the first true digital camera is japanese.

Quote:
Part of being technologically advanced is actually inventing the technology.
Japan is ranked the most innovative country in the world, try again. Most japanese products were invented in Japan like flat panel tv, LCD TV, bullet train, Perpendicual recording, Flash memory/memory card, DVD, CD, Blu ray, androids, thin film transistor, micro processor, PDA, Blue laser, Gallium Nitride, digital camera, synthesizers, digital audio etc.

Quote:
Whatever.
Looks like another point accepted, you still havent shown a single thing US is better at in daily life.

Quote:
If I can see where I am going and there is room I don't need a guide.
This doesnt prove anything, we can do tons of things without technology, it just makes it easier. Looks like another point for me.

Quote:
Large cities do, not everybody works in a large city, many, many of us here have no problems with parking.
Right and I was talking about parking technology in the city. I live in the suburbs right now and dont have any problem with parking either. And I didnt have that problem in my japanese city either.

Quote:
I feel so backwards here in the stone age. I still can accomplish the same thing.
Looks like another point here. You asked and we answered. So this is another point japan is more advanced. Just because you can do the same thing without the technology means nothing.

Quote:
How do you suggest I get to Japan, maybe I could fly Japan Airlines and go there on a nice U.S. made jet. Most of JAL's fleet is Boeing planes.
Yes, flying obviously or you can take a boat if you want.

Quote:
That is your prerogative, we do real well there.
And you havent even visited Japan, I currently live in the US. You do well here, and japanese do better. How can you think you do better without even visiting Japan? You just automatically assume the US must be the best country in the world to live in? Newsflash, Japan has a higher human development index than the USA. A fraction of the crime, much better healthcare system, much cleaner, second highest income equality in the world with an even smaller tax burden than US and also much more advanced and convenient in your daily life.

Last edited by Bibi12; 11-17-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post

Because america is #1 in everything in the world and there are no exceptions /sarcasm.

And yes chinese should take credit for that, if he is saying americans should take credit for that display. Chinese invented the first guns/cannons (musket/arm cannon etc), and first rockets with aerodynamic wings etc. Actually it was chinese agriculture techniques that allowed for the european agricultural revolution to take place, which lead to the european industrial revolution.

Dont you see how dumb it is to keep taking credit for new inventions because your "country" (not you) made the precursors to that invention? We can go all the way back in time to the first tools. Homo habilis takes credit for the internet because of their original tools . Thats right! The internet means nothing because without a stone dagger several hundred thousands years ago you would have nothing!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM

163 posts, read 420,344 times
Korea is surpassing Japan as most technologically advanced. Sorry to bust it to you but the US is no where near the top. You would think the once leader of the free capitalist world would be on top.

Look at our internet speeds versus theirs. its embarrassing. might as well compare our internet speed to Zaires, it might be a little bit faster.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasusBelli View Post
Korea is surpassing Japan as most technologically advanced. Sorry to bust it to you but the US is no where near the top. You would think the once leader of the free capitalist world would be on top.

Look at our internet speeds versus theirs. its embarrassing. might as well compare our internet speed to Zaires, it might be a little bit faster.
Advanced how? Innovation, daily life or both? I go to busan alot, and I feel like it is just an older/slightly poorer version of Japan. But I guess that is changing fast since SK recently joined the "developed" nation status. South korea and Japan are actually very similar countries though people from either country will never admit it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World