U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you think is the most technologically advanced?
Japan 141 46.38%
China 6 1.97%
South Korea 12 3.95%
Singapore 5 1.64%
Finland 5 1.64%
Germany 6 1.97%
France 4 1.32%
United Kingdom 8 2.63%
United States 99 32.57%
Australia 1 0.33%
Italy 0 0%
Switzerland 2 0.66%
Russia 3 0.99%
Other (specify) 12 3.95%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 02:18 PM

23,883 posts, read 67,677,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffradick View Post
Whatever? Has Japan been to the Moon? to Mars? Who makes the best jets in the world? The best Battleships in the world? What military has the most techologically advanced weapons in the world? Sony vs Apple? Apple anyday.
John Deere vs who knows, they haven't been able to produce a product that actually compares to Deere. Harley vs. Honda? Harley. Honda trucks vs GM or Ford. Gm or Ford. Toyota does make nice cars but when the last time you saw a cherry 1975 Toyota crusing down the highway? Medical advances with technology? Again the U.S. All space exploration, the U.S. Internet and computer technologies, again the U.S. We designed the computer, the internet and the wireless world, Japan has just cheapenend it with their tiny microprocessors that when they go out the whole component is wasted. Cheaper in the short term but more expensive in the long run. Thanks again Japan. It's the reason when you buy major things now they aren't made to last long. It didn't use to be like this until Japan came into the U.S. market. Refrigerators, Stoves, Air Conditioning units, etc. all use to be made to last much longer than they do nowdays. The world has been forced to sell and produce cheaper inferior products because of Japan.

I am growing sick of all things Japan. Their technology makes disposable products which is why T.V.s aren't meant to last 10 years anymore, ask any T.V. repairman. Thanks Japan and another reason you never see cherry 1970's Toyota's cruising down the highway. They cheapen everything that is designed elsewhere with superior technology.

Help me understand what makes them more technologically advanced and don't just say it show me.
Red Forman has joined the boards!
Rate this post positively

Old 05-13-2008, 02:31 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,379,631 times
Cigarette vending machines counting wrinkles is a good example of Japanese technological advancement which affect day-to-day life. Read A new wrinkle in smoking enforcement... | Oddly Enough | Reuters

Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,587,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Cigarette vending machines counting wrinkles is a good example of Japanese technological advancement which affect day-to-day life. Read A new wrinkle in smoking enforcement... | Oddly Enough | Reuters
wow, and to think that I was impressed by the vending machines with warm cans of tea/coffee.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:00 PM

14 posts, read 75,038 times
Default Stop talking up Japan and think a minute

The reason you don't see old cherry Japanese cars is because they are cheaply made, it is not our consumerism as you put it, if that was the case you wouldn't see mint American cars on the road either, think about it and as far as the cell phone calls being made. If the U.S. was the size of Japan we'd have cell towers everywhere also. It's easy to put up cell towers everywhere to accomadate 127 million people living in an area smaller than the state of California. That makes sense to you doesn't it? It has nothing to do with technology. Our rail system is great where it is used and another reason the size of Japan makes it seem so much greater. What is wrong with our major cities subways? We don't have bullet trains because everyone wants to fly in our country and it is cheaper than building the lightning fast train lines to go all over our huge country from California to New York and everywhere in between. If our country was only the east coast or only the west coast I wouldn't be writing this as our country would have developed differently, that does not make Japan more advanced. What has Japan ever developed first that you use everyday? Television, electricity, internet, computer, phone, train, plane, car? No to all of them. They do make these products shinier though but as I said before they make them cheaper. Ask any t.v. or appliance repairman and they will tell you the stuff made today isn't made to last but 5-10 years. It wasn't like that before Japan became the big technologically advanced country they are today. Has Japan ever been to the Moon, sent anything to Mars, who has more space satellites in space, developed the Nuclear bomb and nuclear energy, mapped the human genome? NO, NO, NO...
If Japan is so more advanced than the U.S. then why haven't they cured any cancer, or aids, or malaria?
Why haven't they designed any completely new product to further mankind?
Why do all Honda's and Toyota's from the 80's rust out behind the rear wheels?
How come my late fathers American made Curtis Mathes television from 1962 still function like it did when it was new? How come I can't buy a Sony t.v. to last over 10 years?
Why is the walkman dead? An inferior U.S. designed product killed it using technology designed in the U.S. Shouldn't Japan have seen that coming?
Why is a Mac better than a P.C. and why haven't the Japanese with their superior technology designed something other than those American computer platforms that is better?
Why does Sony need their own Memory system for portable electronics, is it better than the standard SD memory? No, it just cost more and makes it a hassle.
I have a Kelvinator refrigerator in my garage from 1950 that I haven't had serviced in over 20 years and I guarantee you I cannot buy a refrigerator on the market today that will last that long thanks to Japan. They along with China has cheapend everything down because of people who won't pay for quality products, American companies have been forced by our own consumers who believe that stuff from Japan is better to use cheaper parts so they can sell them for less money but make more money on each unit sold. Japan has sickenend your goods and you cannot see past their bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
We may have designed the wireless technology, yet we still can't make a decent cell phone call from a subway. Ask anyone who've tried to make a phone call while on a subway in NYC and they'll tell you the same. When I was in Hongkong, I could always make smooth cell phone calls from any subway without having to worry about drop calls.

Don't even get me started about American rail system and technology!

Regarding not seeing older Japanese cars on the road, that has nothing to do with the car quality, but everything to do with America's consumerism which doesn't stick with one car longer than absolutely necessary.

By the end of the day, all the brands you mentioned (Apple vs Sony, American cars vs Japanese cars, etc), it's all about personal preference.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM

This is only a sidenote but something I found totally amusing last week

I was watching the new show, I survived a Japanese Game Show, it is a show where they send a bunch of Americans to Japan to try to win money doing stupid stunts.
The Americans showed up to Tokyo and they went to their hotel and one of them went to check out the bathroom, while he was in there he saw the remote control for the toilet bowl and started yelling for everyone to come check out the toilet. All 16 contestants were amazed by this remote control toilet that flushed when you pressed the button. They kept using the control to flush it. Well if that wasn't dumb enough when they were leaving the bathroom the one guy comes out and says to the camera, "Japan is so much more techolically advanced than the U.S."

I have remote control toilets in my home also, you push the button or the handle and they flush,

Old 07-01-2008, 04:15 PM

Default Why you think Japan is more advanced!

This is only a sidenote but something I found totally amusing last week

I was watching the new show, I survived a Japanese Game Show, it is a show where they send a bunch of Americans to Japan to try to win money doing stupid stunts.
The Americans showed up to Tokyo and they went to their hotel and one of them went to check out the bathroom, while he was in there he saw the remote control for the toilet bowl and started yelling for everyone to come check out the toilet. All 16 contestants were amazed by this remote control toilet that flushed when you pressed the button. They kept using the control to flush it. Well if that wasn't dumb enough when they were leaving the bathroom the one guy comes out and says to the camera, "Japan is so much more technologically advanced than the U.S." Now if that is what makes a country technologically advanced I guess you are an idiot. These kinds of statements make weak minded people buy into the ideal that Japan is more advanced.
This is the point I try to make to everyone I know, just because they make things differently does not make them better.
I have remote control toilets in my home also, you push the button or the handle and they flush, funny thing is I can't accidently drop my button in the bowl though, that seems a little more advanced to me.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:28 PM

919 posts, read 3,150,805 times
The U.S., without a doubt.

Some countries are seemingly advanced in certain areas, such as mobile telecom in Asia. But part of the reason for that is that much of Asia had virtually no land line network, so they basically skipped generations of old technology and adapted the latest/greatest technology for mass use. In contrast, we've had a massive infrastructure built around traditional lines.

So yes, it's impressive to talk on a cell while underneath Honkg Kong. We can do the same thing... the NY subway system and others will simply have to pony up the bucks to wire the systems.

Meanwhile the actual phones in Asia are most likely running on US technology, namely CDMA from QUALCOMM in San Diego. But that's just phone stuff.

We lead the world in aerospace/aviation; medical technologies and discoveries; biotech; computer sciences; agriculture; computer sciences; heavy equiptment; etc.

And to be sure, I'm not implying the rest of the workd is backwards. There are many great companies around the world that are fantastic and market-leading. But the US is a leader or significant player in just about every endeavor. From Mars rovers to Nike Flywire shoes, medical devices to golf balls, the US has companies pushing the envelope.

It's not mental superiority, but a function of a lot of right things coming together at the right time, in the right place.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:13 AM

3,118 posts, read 3,437,367 times
Is the USA the most advanced country to live in for a middle class or poor person? I think not. Japan for example, pays half what we do for medical care, $100 for a MRI scan, $10 a night for a hospital room if you share with others. They dont let anyone rip off the system. That includes insurance companies, administrators, doctors, drug companies ect. The government puts out a price list of what can be charged for any procedure you can think of, and it works. And our system ? What system ?
Is this a big factor as to why american labor is so costly, hows that affecting our auto industry ?

What about education, is our public schools as good as japan, germany or france ? I think not, and education is how poor people get to be rich people. Are we fixing that ? NOPE

Of coarse then theres illegal immigration, How does germany and japan deal with that one, compared to the US ? If your poor or middle class in the US, does that hurt you or help you ? Are we doing anything about it, NOPE.

What about energy policy, we use half the worlds oil and they use nuclear, and germany has began replacing that with a total phase out to solar and wind by 2050. While we just figured out SUV's are not so good.

Yes we still have the upper hand in military power, how are we going to maintain and pay for it ? Dont we have to solve the above problems first, if we start right now we might catch up to these other countries in 30 years or so. I like it here in the USA, but I dont feel very technologically advanced at the moment.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 PM

Default Are you outta your mind?

Stop bashing American education, the US education system is great. Remember you get out of life what you put into it. If you would have put in the effort you'd not be bashing the American education system. The sytem itself has produced some of the worlds greatest minds. It's not Americas fault if people like yourself do not use what is given to them. I know you didn't take advantage of it because in your statement you say, "is our public schools as good as japan, germany or france ?" If you did take advantage of our education you would have said, " Are our public schools."
Ask Bill Gates. If our education system is so bad as you put it, why then do we lead the way in new discoveries? Why, why, why?
Yeah we are dependant on oil, but Japan is totally dependant on our education system. They rely on American techology to run their computers, their cellular system, their assembly lines and their rail system. That's right, American technology!
Name one thing original the Japanese education system has given you.
Has Japan put a man on the moon, developed the computer, sent rovers to Mars. And how come the Japanese use American telecom companies software to run their great phone system. Anyone can put up thousands of towers in a country the size of California. It doesn't make them more advanced though. Why can't they build their own internet, are they not smart enough? How could we do it with our poor education system? How could a bunch of dumb Americans with a poor educational system do all that and your precious Japan with a superior education system not do it?
It is people like you who are spreading your unhappy, ignorant and sad life to try and bring down the rest of America. We are the GREATEST NATION on the planet from technology to healthcare to freedom of choice.
Why is everything Japanese designed disposable now? How long do you think your Sony flatscreen has a life expectancy? It didn't use to be like that. Ask any TV repairman and they'll tell you they are not meant to last 10 years. How come I still have my late fathers American made Curtis Mathes television in my basement that works as good as the day he bought it 40 years ago?
Their cars are smaller because their country is smaller and they are smaller. Oil was never an issue until recently and the U.S. is adapting to this. If your GM or Ford you couldn't put tons of money in something, small electric cars in the 80's and 90's, because American consumers didn't want them then. It's like selling ice in January in the Arctic. And one more thing our poor or much wealthier than Japans poor people. Get a clue!

Health care??? What has Japan done to further medical science?
Get a grip on reality.
How much do Japanese citizens pay in taxes for their healthcare system? Every other free country in the world has cheap healthcare but their taxes pay for it. This does not lead to advancements in medicine though, the U.S. healthcare system charging $10.00 for one tylenol at the hospital does. It seems ridiculous when you see that on the bill but without it or higher taxes you wouldn't get the money for advancements in medicine. I agree the U.S. should raise taxes for universal healthcare and for medical research. Has the Japanese health care system cured AIDS, cancer, MS? Nope. Seems like with them being so much more advanced as you put it they should have done this. And please don't even think to say that they live longer. That is because the Japanese people diet better than Americans, it has absolutely nothing to do with their healthcare system. And which country invented the MRI you refer to? The good ol' USA.

We use half the worlds oil because we are the most technoligically advanced country. We are a free enterprise nation and that is why it is the way things are from health insurance to oil consumption.

Immigation has nothing to do with this entire question as to which country is more technologically advanced!

List of most technologically advanced countries, 2007:
http://graphics.eiu.com/files/ad_pdf...Ranking_WP.pdf

1….Denmark
=2…US
=2…Sweden
4….Hong Kong
5….Switzerland
6….Singapore
7….UK
8….Netherlands
9….Austrailia
10…Finland
11…Austria
12…Norway
13…Canada
14…New Zealand
15…Bermuda
16…South Korea
17…Taiwan
18…Japan
19…Germany
20…Belgium

We are 30 years ahead of Japan in technology and most of the other countries in the world. See we put a man on the Moon in the 60's and Japan is still trying to figure that out, we developed computers, the internet, the television, led the way in medical advancements, cellular network. Just please tell me what Japan has really given you besides throwaway products that makes you think they are so superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Is the USA the most advanced country to live in for a middle class or poor person? I think not. Japan for example, pays half what we do for medical care, $100 for a MRI scan, $10 a night for a hospital room if you share with others. They dont let anyone rip off the system. That includes insurance companies, administrators, doctors, drug companies ect. The government puts out a price list of what can be charged for any procedure you can think of, and it works. And our system ? What system ?
Is this a big factor as to why american labor is so costly, hows that affecting our auto industry ?

What about education, is our public schools as good as japan, germany or france ? I think not, and education is how poor people get to be rich people. Are we fixing that ? NOPE

Of coarse then theres illegal immigration, How does germany and japan deal with that one, compared to the US ? If your poor or middle class in the US, does that hurt you or help you ? Are we doing anything about it, NOPE.

What about energy policy, we use half the worlds oil and they use nuclear, and germany has began replacing that with a total phase out to solar and wind by 2050. While we just figured out SUV's are not so good.

Yes we still have the upper hand in military power, how are we going to maintain and pay for it ? Dont we have to solve the above problems first, if we start right now we might catch up to these other countries in 30 years or so. I like it here in the USA, but I dont feel very technologically advanced at the moment.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Default What has Japan developed that you use in your everyday life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Japan has a reputation for being very technologically advanced and futuristic, especially in the Tokyo area. I was wondering if you think there is a country even more advanced than Japan? I hear Finland is up there too. What are your thoughts?

Futuristic looking does not equate to being more technologically advanced.
Get a grip on reality and answer the question,
What has Japan developed that you use in your everyday life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.