U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which country do you think is the most technologically advanced?
Japan 141 46.38%
China 6 1.97%
South Korea 12 3.95%
Singapore 5 1.64%
Finland 5 1.64%
Germany 6 1.97%
France 4 1.32%
United Kingdom 8 2.63%
United States 99 32.57%
Australia 1 0.33%
Italy 0 0%
Switzerland 2 0.66%
Russia 3 0.99%
Other (specify) 12 3.95%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
 
6,743 posts, read 8,655,908 times
Reputation: 1852

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffradick View Post
The reason you don't see old cherry Japanese cars is because they are cheaply made, it is not our consumerism as you put it, if that was the case you wouldn't see mint American cars on the road either, think about it and as far as the cell phone calls being made.
Absolutely not true. A customer of mine owns large reparable auto business. He turns away American autos because the parts break apart when removed from the car. The American parts are inferior quality and more expensive for him to purchase. It actually pains him to admit it, because he is a flag waving patriot.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Iowa
3,098 posts, read 3,422,114 times
Reputation: 4014
To reply to jeffradicks post, he says "The US education system is great" and defends the public schools, while test scores lag way behind most other developed countries. Were ranked 30th or so from the top and still sliding. Dont defend something that is failing, we should be #1. Caucasian test scores out of high school are lower than those in other developed countries, its the schools, not the kids. Its our universitys that are excellent and advance the worlds technology, in spite of the public schools. I think Bill Gates would of done well in any school, because he is a brilliant man. What he did came from Bill, not the school. What about kids that go to ghetto schools and graduate with a 6th grade education ? If they would of went to school in denmark, they would be ready for college level work. Their chance for college, success and wealth would be enhanced. A poor kid here has less of a chance, because of the crappy schools. Its not the money either, we spend more than they do.

As to you comments about japan and electronics, I have an AAS in electronics and was once a TV repairman for several years. If you bought a Curtis Mathes TV you paid twice as much for it as a regular set. They came with a five year warranty, thats what you got for your extra money. THey were not built better than any other sets, but for the cabinet. A picture tube will go soft in any CRT TV, within about 7 to 12 years of heavy use. If you dont watch it much, of course its possible for it to last longer.

Japan's contribution to consumer electronics and automobiles is incalculable. Yes, we invent the technology, but they improve upon it. How did your RCA VCR from 1975 treat you ? How did you like your ford maverick vs honda civic in 1979 ? Without competition, american cars would not be of the quality they are today. I hope the chevy volt hybrid coming out next year will solve some of our gas problems. It can go 40 miles on 80 cents worth of electricity. Electric motors are about 100% efficient, not 10% like a gas motor. They should make all electric models too, no exhaust, no noise, no oil changes, no hugo chavez.....

About health care, I DO NOT like paying $10 for a tylenol in my hospital room that cost me 10 times more than a stay at the merriot hotel with room service. I dont want to pay bloated salarys to healtcare people. I dont want to pay for the worlds medical advances anymore, or three times as much on my bill if I dont have insurance. Dont really want to wait in line for 20 illegal aliens to go ahead of me...they should have their wages garnished to pay into a national health care system to even be in line. I do not want to pay twice as much for medicine, or pay insurance companies 20% off the top for the same thing the government can do for 3%. I dont like seeing american labor with this ankle-weight dragging them down in the world marketplace.

We regulate the price of electricity in many states because everyone needs it, they have to get an OK from some authority before they can raise rates. What happened in california not too long ago, remember the rolling blackouts ? Everyone needs medical care for cripes sakes, and they jack us up whenever they want too. Im sick of it and the thousands of cases of medical backruptcy that happen every year. We should take japans medical price sheet and shove it up the medical professions ass, and dump the insurance companies. Then we can have this, instead of the monopoly we now have.

Japanese Pay Less for More Health Care : NPR

jeffradick, its all about efficientcy and getting what you pay for. we have a $9 trillion foreign debt and its time to cut the fat.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-21-2008 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: leave out the insults
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 PM
 
14 posts, read 75,007 times
Reputation: 17
Default Wrong about prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Absolutely not true. A customer of mine owns large reparable auto business. He turns away American autos because the parts break apart when removed from the car. The American parts are inferior quality and more expensive for him to purchase. It actually pains him to admit it, because he is a flag waving patriot.
Why then do you not see 80's model Toyotas and Hondas running around town? American parts are not more expensive. I literally own an autoparts business and you're friend is absolutely out of his mind if he thinks American parts are more expensive and not trying to be mean or anything but if you believe him then you need your head checked. If he turns away American cars then he's either a hack mechanic or owns an import shop. To turn away business of anykind is just plain stupid so your quote of him has no merit at all. If the parts are breaking when he takes them off he is definately a hack mechanic. To top it off most the parts on the American cars you refer to are made elsewhere, that is what Japan has done for all of us. As I said in my quotes they have cheapenend everything in this world, that is a fact. The US companies have to make things with cheaper quality parts because the Japanese companies did it and do it. The American consumer wants the lowest price and the only way to get to that point is to use inferior parts, that's how Japan has been so successful in the auto market. It wasn't always like this, everything from televisions to cars to phones. They make them flashier and cheaper and people buy into that so the only way to compete with their inferior product is to cheapen ours. Think long and hard on it. How many 80's import cars do you see around your town. I make it a point when driving around to look for old Japanese cars from the 80's. If I do it's usually a Honda that is all rusted out. I still see American cars everyday from all the eras cruising around though.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 PM
 
14 posts, read 75,007 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
To reply to jeffradicks post, he says "The US education system is great" and defends the public schools, while test scores lag way behind most other developed countries. Were ranked 30th or so from the top and still sliding. Dont defend something that is failing, we should be #1. Caucasian test scores out of high school are lower than those in other developed countries, its the schools, not the kids. Its our universitys that are excellent and advance the worlds technology, in spite of the public schools. I think Bill Gates would of done well in any school, because he is a brilliant man. What he did came from Bill, not the school. What about kids that go to ghetto schools and graduate with a 6th grade education ? If they would of went to school in denmark, they would be ready for college level work. Their chance for college, success and wealth would be enhanced. A poor kid here has less of a chance, because of the crappy schools. Its not the money either, we spend more than they do.

As to you comments about japan and electronics, I have an AAS in electronics and was once a TV repairman for several years. If you bought a Curtis Mathes TV you paid twice as much for it as a regular set. They came with a five year warranty, thats what you got for your extra money. THey were not built better than any other sets, but for the cabinet. A picture tube will go soft in any CRT TV, within about 7 to 12 years of heavy use. If you dont watch it much, of course its possible for it to last longer.

Japan's contribution to consumer electronics and automobiles is incalculable. Yes, we invent the technology, but they improve upon it. How did your RCA VCR from 1975 treat you ? How did you like your ford maverick vs honda civic in 1979 ? Without competition, american cars would not be of the quality they are today. I hope the chevy volt hybrid coming out next year will solve some of our gas problems. It can go 40 miles on 80 cents worth of electricity. Electric motors are about 100% efficient, not 10% like a gas motor. They should make all electric models too, no exhaust, no noise, no oil changes, no hugo chavez.....

About health care, I DO NOT like paying $10 for a tylenol in my hospital room that cost me 10 times more than a stay at the merriot hotel with room service. I dont want to pay bloated salarys to healtcare people. I dont want to pay for the worlds medical advances anymore, or three times as much on my bill if I dont have insurance. Dont really want to wait in line for 20 illegal aliens to go ahead of me...they should have their wages garnished to pay into a national health care system to even be in line. I do not want to pay twice as much for medicine, or pay insurance companies 20% off the top for the same thing the government can do for 3%. I dont like seeing american labor with this ankle-weight dragging them down in the world marketplace.

We regulate the price of electricity in many states because everyone needs it, they have to get an OK from some authority before they can raise rates. What happened in california not too long ago, remember the rolling blackouts ? Everyone needs medical care for cripes sakes, and they jack us up whenever they want too. Im sick of it and the thousands of cases of medical backruptcy that happen every year. We should take japans medical price sheet and shove it up the medical professions ass, and dump the insurance companies. Then we can have this, instead of the monopoly we now have.

Japanese Pay Less for More Health Care : NPR

jeffradick, its all about efficientcy and getting what you pay for. we have a $9 trillion foreign debt and its time to cut the fat.
You my friend are way off base, you have a belief and it is so wrong it's sad. Japan hasn't improved anything I use, not a damn thing. To top it off they use our technology that we learn in our schools to make anything they make. Their telecommunications systems use US made software. Why if they are so damn smart. Funny thing is I can't remember the last time I saw a 79 Civic on the road but I still see 79 Mavericks their. How's the rust on your 79 Civic. I thought so, Bad! Honestly my Mother still has our first Rca Vcr bought in 1982, still works great. I've went through 3 DVD players in the last 6 years though. I still have my late fathers Curtis Mathes TV in my basement, it's over 40 years old. Exactly my point, he paid twice as much for an American product that has lasted at least 3 times longer than cheap Japanese products. The average consumer though doesn't look at things like this and you are him and because of this Curtis Mathes could not compete in this cheapend market. How long will that new Sony last. No way it will last 40 years!!! I don't like paying 10 for a tylenol either but I'm glad I'm not paying 45% in income tax and I'm glad I have a choice on which doctor gets to see me. If we raised our taxes we too would have the cheap healthcare of Japan without the choice of our doctors and hospitals though. Without our healthcare system there would be no advances in healthcare, you seem like you want the benefits without the cost, that is cheap my friend. Bill Gates is just one example of the greatest minds to come from the American education system, the greatest system in the world, stop looking at test scores and look at real world results. If we are so behind in education then why do we lead the way in the advancement of mankind?
Too much to try to change here so I'll leave with this,

If our education system is so bad how come we lead the world in military technology, space exploration, new technologies and healthcare advances?

You'll probably write a bunch of stuff about how great Japan is but you won't be able to answer the above question. Just answer it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
 
5,355 posts, read 5,093,456 times
Reputation: 4692
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Most of the cars on the road look new, and you don't see too many junkers like over here.
That jostled a memory of something that I had heard before.....

Japan has a national motor-vehicle inspection law, known in the country by the Japanese word Shaken. This inspection must occur on every vehicle every two years (new cars are exempt) and cost between 100,000 and 150,000 yen (about US$1,000 to US$1,500). The inspection is very stringent, covering nearly every aspect of the vehicle; it is designed to ensure that the old vehicles are good and clean and complete as they were when first purchases.

Any vehicles that fails this inspection gets a big red sticker slapped on its windshields identifying them as "unsafe"; these vehicles are not allowed on the street until they pass inspection. The owner is then on the hook to make repairs, itself an extremely pricey undertaking. Most Japanese don't work on their own cars, and qualified automotive mechanics in Japan charge top dollar, or rather, top yen.

This is why you don't see older vehicle in Japan -- it's just too damn expensive for the average Japanese person to repair the vehicle. Most Japanese buy new vehicles when their older vehicles fail inspection. This constant need for new vehicles is a very nice benefit for their domestic automobile manufacturers.

And the old cars that fail Shaken? They get bought up by brokers (cheaply) and sold to countries around the world that aren't quite so particular about the quality of the vehicles driving on their roads.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-22-2008, 12:45 PM
 
6,743 posts, read 8,655,908 times
Reputation: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffradick View Post
Why then do you not see 80's model Toyotas and Hondas running around town? American parts are not more expensive. I literally own an autoparts business and you're friend is absolutely out of his mind if he thinks American parts are more expensive and not trying to be mean or anything but if you believe him then you need your head checked. If he turns away American cars then he's either a hack mechanic or owns an import shop. To turn away business of anykind is just plain stupid so your quote of him has no merit at all. If the parts are breaking when he takes them off he is definately a hack mechanic. To top it off most the parts on the American cars you refer to are made elsewhere, that is what Japan has done for all of us. As I said in my quotes they have cheapenend everything in this world, that is a fact. The US companies have to make things with cheaper quality parts because the Japanese companies did it and do it. The American consumer wants the lowest price and the only way to get to that point is to use inferior parts, that's how Japan has been so successful in the auto market. It wasn't always like this, everything from televisions to cars to phones. They make them flashier and cheaper and people buy into that so the only way to compete with their inferior product is to cheapen ours. Think long and hard on it. How many 80's import cars do you see around your town. I make it a point when driving around to look for old Japanese cars from the 80's. If I do it's usually a Honda that is all rusted out. I still see American cars everyday from all the eras cruising around though.
Wrong. (not to be mean) Japanese cars are less expensive because they did not negotiate ridiculous contracts with their auto workers.

It's estimated that GM workers earn an average $73 an hour when benefits including health care and pensions are added in. That appears to be about $25 an hour more than Toyota's U.S. workers.

Last year, Toyota's top 37 executives earned a combined $21.6 million in salary and bonuses, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. U.K. firm Manifest Information Services, which analyzes proxy information, estimates Toyota's top executive, Hiroshi Okuda, earned $903,000 in 2006.

GM CEO Rick Wagoner earned $9.3 million in salary and bonus in 2006, nearly double what he earned in 2005.

Don't tell me that Americans can build cars that are just as good as the Japanese, and sell them at a competitive price. Americans are screwing themselves.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Rei
 
Location: Los Angeles
494 posts, read 1,674,255 times
Reputation: 233
1. Japanese would build a far more superior military technology than the US if only they aren't banned from doing so due to WWII.

2. Japanese electronics last longer back in the days b/c the parts were made in japan. These days most of them are made in China. QA/QC aren't as good.

3. True that in the old days American cars are reliable, but that's b/c there wasn't that much electronics and fancy stuff in them. However, Japanese auto are more reliable TODAY. They learned from the US, and has been improving since back then.
US auto industries can't manufacture cars. Every time I look at Ford and GM, I always think it's a miracle b/c they haven't gone bankrupt yet. It's just not reliable.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 PM
 
5,355 posts, read 5,093,456 times
Reputation: 4692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
1. Japanese would build a far more superior military technology than the US if only they aren't banned from doing so due to WWII.
Article 9 of the Japanese constitution renounces the use of war, the use of threats of war, and the use of threats of force as sovereign rights of Japan. Article 9 also outlaws land, sea, and air forces.

Despite that, the Japanese Diet established in 1954 the Japanese Self Defense Force. Currently, Japan is fifth in the world in military spending, behind the U.S., France, the U.K., and China.

Nothing stopping them from building their own (presumably better) jet fighters, bombers, tanks, artillery, and ships. Except that if the U.S. is gonna do it for them, then why not save a few yen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
2. Japanese electronics last longer back in the days b/c the parts were made in japan. These days most of them are made in China. QA/QC aren't as good.
And who's fault is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
3. True that in the old days American cars are reliable, but that's b/c there wasn't that much electronics and fancy stuff in them. However, Japanese auto are more reliable TODAY. They learned from the US, and has been improving since back then.
US auto industries can't manufacture cars. Every time I look at Ford and GM, I always think it's a miracle b/c they haven't gone bankrupt yet. It's just not reliable.
The cars built by Ford and GM have improved in quality and those built today are better than those built by Honda and Toyota about 10 years ago. Problem for Ford and GM is that Honda and Toyota build even better cars now. As for full-size trucks on the other hand...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
 
6,743 posts, read 8,655,908 times
Reputation: 1852
Us Americans talk about how we invented this and how we invented that. It's great that we have people that have the resources to do so. But the problem is, once government and big business get involved, the technology gets stalled in the bureaucracy.

Other countries have the foresight to run with the technology and implement it into their daily lives. In the US, everything is looked at as profit and loss. Some technology may be costly to implement today, but the benefits down the road will more than make up for the cost. The greater good of society is an afterthought.

Now, the chickens are coming home to roost. We are way behind...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Iowa
3,098 posts, read 3,422,114 times
Reputation: 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffradick View Post
You my friend are way off base, you have a belief and it is so wrong it's sad. Japan hasn't improved anything I use, not a damn thing. To top it off they use our technology that we learn in our schools to make anything they make. Their telecommunications systems use US made software. Why if they are so damn smart. Funny thing is I can't remember the last time I saw a 79 Civic on the road but I still see 79 Mavericks their. How's the rust on your 79 Civic. I thought so, Bad! Honestly my Mother still has our first Rca Vcr bought in 1982, still works great. I've went through 3 DVD players in the last 6 years though. I still have my late fathers Curtis Mathes TV in my basement, it's over 40 years old. Exactly my point, he paid twice as much for an American product that has lasted at least 3 times longer than cheap Japanese products. The average consumer though doesn't look at things like this and you are him and because of this Curtis Mathes could not compete in this cheapend market. How long will that new Sony last. No way it will last 40 years!!! I don't like paying 10 for a tylenol either but I'm glad I'm not paying 45% in income tax and I'm glad I have a choice on which doctor gets to see me. If we raised our taxes we too would have the cheap healthcare of Japan without the choice of our doctors and hospitals though. Without our healthcare system there would be no advances in healthcare, you seem like you want the benefits without the cost, that is cheap my friend. Bill Gates is just one example of the greatest minds to come from the American education system, the greatest system in the world, stop looking at test scores and look at real world results. If we are so behind in education then why do we lead the way in the advancement of mankind?
Too much to try to change here so I'll leave with this,

If our education system is so bad how come we lead the world in military technology, space exploration, new technologies and healthcare advances?

You'll probably write a bunch of stuff about how great Japan is but you won't be able to answer the above question. Just answer it.
Your like a guy that drives forward looking in the rearview mirror

Stop looking for old japaneese cars, their like a bic lighter, after the last flick you throw them away. They have no soul or value to collectors, no one restores them. I drive a 2.3 ford ranger manual, best milage you can get out of a pickup. But like a bic lighter, a japaneese car is slightly more reliable and lasts a little longer. They get good gas milage, thats what people want. Thats what detroit needs to do, right after they start saving 50% on their employees health insurance. Or should I say national health care plan, that were gonna steal from japan.

It doesnt have to raise taxes, japan saves on their plan because they cut out all the gravy suckers. And they pick their own doctor, get more scans, live longer, and have private owned hospitals. American medical salaries should fall in line europe and japan. You should be in that field because you want to help sick people, not for the fat pay. If your in it for the money and sending lobby to congress to protect your gravy, then hit the road. Caps on malpractice suits and drug profits, dump insurance companies and hospital administrators. Perhaps every country could start paying 2% of their healthcare budget for R&D instead of it falling on US patients.

About education, I said it was the PUBLIC schools that are failing, the university system is fine. You did know that Bill Gates dropped out of college, Im not giving them any credit for Bill. But our public schools suck and you cant go to college with an average IQ and a 6th grade education. How is japan and germany teaching their kids better on less money ? Lets copy them and use it to our advantage.

Thats what its about, who's doing it better, copy and impliment ASAP. The hell with people who have a monopoly at your forced expense.

Last edited by mofford; 07-22-2008 at 09:15 PM..
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top