Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you think is the most technologically advanced?
Japan 141 46.38%
China 6 1.97%
South Korea 12 3.95%
Singapore 5 1.64%
Finland 5 1.64%
Germany 6 1.97%
France 4 1.32%
United Kingdom 8 2.63%
United States 99 32.57%
Australia 1 0.33%
Italy 0 0%
Switzerland 2 0.66%
Russia 3 0.99%
Other (specify) 12 3.95%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 AM

277 posts, read 626,905 times

Advertisements

The micro processor was invented by Gilbert Hyatt although it used to be believed it was Ted Hoff at Intel Corp. Ted Hoff designed a micro processor for Busicom ( a Japanese company) to use in calculators.

Optical disc storage like that in a CD is a U.S. invention also, James Russell invented the compact disk in 1965. There was a big lawsuit over this. James Russel holds 22 patents for the compact disc.

LCD and Plasma flat panel technology was invented here in the U.S., in the 60s, many years before Sharp stuck a tuner on a LCD.

I have nothing against the Japanese, I also never said the Japanese didn't invent anything. All I have said was the U.S. has invented a tremendous amount of the technology in use today, much of it came from our Military and Space programs.

I also said, I am sure you have nice trains but I would rather fly. You seem to get upset over little things, I never said you didn't have planes.

I said your internet was faster but I didn't need mine to be faster.
We will keep speeding up our internet up but a smaller country will have an advantage, I live in an area that has very few people per square mile, the cost to bring ultra high speed internet to rural areas is too high, I don't mind, I prefer peace and quiet over over crowded cities. I also would not want to live in a tiny house like the average person in Japan lives in. Some Japanese live in a space smaller than one of my Bathrooms, and no I don't have a electronic toilet but they sell them here.

As for the comment on the cars, we have all kinds of high tech available in U.S. made cars including in-dash computers with GPS. I know there is a Lexus with park assist but many times it is fear of legal liability here in the U.S. that slows new advances. Let me know when you put a car on the moon, we did.
Lunar rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know you like to believe Japan is the most inovative country but I will side with people like John T. Preston,the former director of MIT's Entrepreneurship Center who said "The radical breakthrough patents that we see mainly come out of laboratories in the United States."

You have many smart people in Japan but I believe that it is the U.S. that is the country advancing technology the most. In the future it might be China or someone else but for now it is the U.S.

I believe one of the reasons we have been so successful is we have so many people from all over the world here working together, U.S. citizens come from every corner of the globe.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:42 PM

17 posts, read 91,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffradick View Post
The reason you don't see old cherry Japanese cars is because they are cheaply made, it is not our consumerism as you put it, if that was the case you wouldn't see mint American cars on the road either, think about it and as far as the cell phone calls being made. If the U.S. was the size of Japan we'd have cell towers everywhere also. It's easy to put up cell towers everywhere to accomadate 127 million people living in an area smaller than the state of California. That makes sense to you doesn't it? It has nothing to do with technology. Our rail system is great where it is used and another reason the size of Japan makes it seem so much greater. What is wrong with our major cities subways? We don't have bullet trains because everyone wants to fly in our country and it is cheaper than building the lightning fast train lines to go all over our huge country from California to New York and everywhere in between. If our country was only the east coast or only the west coast I wouldn't be writing this as our country would have developed differently, that does not make Japan more advanced. What has Japan ever developed first that you use everyday? Television, electricity, internet, computer, phone, train, plane, car? No to all of them. They do make these products shinier though but as I said before they make them cheaper. Ask any t.v. or appliance repairman and they will tell you the stuff made today isn't made to last but 5-10 years. It wasn't like that before Japan became the big technologically advanced country they are today. Has Japan ever been to the Moon, sent anything to Mars, who has more space satellites in space, developed the Nuclear bomb and nuclear energy, mapped the human genome? NO, NO, NO...
If Japan is so more advanced than the U.S. then why haven't they cured any cancer, or aids, or malaria?
Why haven't they designed any completely new product to further mankind?
Why do all Honda's and Toyota's from the 80's rust out behind the rear wheels?
How come my late fathers American made Curtis Mathes television from 1962 still function like it did when it was new? How come I can't buy a Sony t.v. to last over 10 years?
Why is the walkman dead? An inferior U.S. designed product killed it using technology designed in the U.S. Shouldn't Japan have seen that coming?
Why is a Mac better than a P.C. and why haven't the Japanese with their superior technology designed something other than those American computer platforms that is better?
Why does Sony need their own Memory system for portable electronics, is it better than the standard SD memory? No, it just cost more and makes it a hassle.
I have a Kelvinator refrigerator in my garage from 1950 that I haven't had serviced in over 20 years and I guarantee you I cannot buy a refrigerator on the market today that will last that long thanks to Japan. They along with China has cheapend everything down because of people who won't pay for quality products, American companies have been forced by our own consumers who believe that stuff from Japan is better to use cheaper parts so they can sell them for less money but make more money on each unit sold. Japan has sickenend your goods and you cannot see past their bottom line.
this man speaks the truth. i think people get way over-hyped when it comes to japan.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:58 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,979 times

YouTube - Korea, Digital Capital of the World - 1/3

Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
The micro processor was invented by Gilbert Hyatt although it used to be believed it was Ted Hoff at Intel Corp. Ted Hoff designed a micro processor for Busicom ( a Japanese company) to use in calculators.
Wrong. Masatoshi Shima along with Hoff came up with a micro processor, and it was for a japanese company.
Microprocessor The world's first microprocessor, the Intel 4004, was designed by Masatoshi Shima of Busicom alongside Marcian Hoff
Quote:
Optical disc storage like that in a CD is a U.S. invention also, James Russell invented the compact disk in 1965. There was a big lawsuit over this. James Russel holds 22 patents for the compact disc.
Wrong again, sony first developed the CD along with philips. As well as flash memory, memory cards, DVD, Blu ray etc.
"Philips publicly demonstrated a prototype of an optical digital audio disc at a press conference called "Philips Introduce Compact Disc" in Eindhoven, The Netherlands on March 8, 1979. Three years earlier, Sony first publicly demonstrated an optical digital audio disc in September 1976. In September 1978, they demonstrated an optical digital audio disc with a 150 minute playing time, and with specifications of 44,056 Hz sampling rate, 16-bit linear resolution, cross-interleaved error correction code, that were similar to those of the Compact Disc introduced in 1982. Technical details of Sony's digital audio disc were presented during the 62nd AES Convention, held on March 13-16, 1979 in Brussels"

Quote:
LCD and Plasma flat panel technology was invented here in the U.S., in the 60s, many years before Sharp stuck a tuner on a LCD.
I said LCD and flat panel TV. All patents for TVs witht his are japanese.

Flat panel display The first flat-panel displays were the flat CRTs[109][110] used by Sony in their Watchman series (the FD-210 was introduced in 1982). One of the last flat-CRT models was the FD-120A. The CRT in these units was flat with the electron gun located roughly at right angles below the display surface thus requiring sophisticated electronics to create an undistorted picture free from effects such as keystoning.

Handheld liquid crystal display television In 1990, a color model of the Sony Watchman with an active-matrix LCD was released.

Liquid crystal display television In 1988, Sharp Corporation introduced the first commercial LCD television, a 14" model.

Plasma colour display In 1992, Fujitsu introduced the world's first full-color plasma display. It was a hybrid, based upon the plasma display created at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and NHK STRL, achieving superior brightness. <- NHK and STRL are japanese

Plasma television In 1997, Pioneer released the first plasma television
Quote:
I have nothing against the Japanese, I also never said the Japanese didn't invent anything. All I have said was the U.S. has invented a tremendous amount of the technology in use today, much of it came from our Military and Space programs.
And who said you didnt? By raw numbers the US military and space program is #1, I dont think a single person has denied this. You hire scientists from all over the world and have the biggest budget on this planet. When it comes to per capita numbers and integration of technology Japan is ahead of the US, and that is a fact.

Quote:
I also said, I am sure you have nice trains but I would rather fly. You seem to get upset over little things, I never said you didn't have planes.
Who cares? Jeeez you asked what is better, and I answered, and then you just say "who cares about that". Just accept it and move on, ok thanks.

Quote:
I said your internet was faster but I didn't need mine to be faster.
We will keep speeding up our internet up but a smaller country will have an advantage, I live in an area that has very few people per square mile, the cost to bring ultra high speed internet to rural areas is too high, I don't mind, I prefer peace and quiet over over crowded cities. I also would not want to live in a tiny house like the average person in Japan lives in. Some Japanese live in a space smaller than one of my Bathrooms, and no I don't have a electronic toilet but they sell them here.
Again who cares, you asked what is better and I answered. IT IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT. YOU ASKED I answered. Enough of your little excuses. Don't ask what is better if youre just going to dismiss it or make an excuse. I also didnt know living space has to do with being technologically advanced. Also you are basing that off of tokyo? Because my house in Wakayama, was 2 stories and was bigger than my current suburban house here in Orlando.

Quote:
As for the comment on the cars, we have all kinds of high tech available in U.S. made cars including in-dash computers with GPS. I know there is a Lexus with park assist but many times it is fear of legal liability here in the U.S. that slows new advances. Let me know when you put a car on the moon, we did.
Lunar rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Doesnt change a fact that the cars in Japan have built in technology better than here in the US, and that includes japaneses exported cars here. I didnt know the average person drives cars on the moon either.

Quote:
I know you like to believe Japan is the most inovative country but I will side with people like John T. Preston,the former director of MIT's Entrepreneurship Center who said "The radical breakthrough patents that we see mainly come out of laboratories in the United States."
I dont like to believe so, the economist which is the most respected agency for reports on countries says so. Japan has been ranked #1 for several reports in a row now.

Quote:
You have many smart people in Japan but I believe that it is the U.S. that is the country advancing technology the most. In the future it might be China or someone else but for now it is the U.S.
After ww2 Japan only reached scientific maturity in the 1980s, and since then Japan has advanced everyday technology moreso than the US when it comes to electronics and is equal when it comes to biology and physics. Yes biology. It was japanese scientists who discovered getting stem cells from skin cells, and molars.

Quote:
I believe one of the reasons we have been so successful is we have so many people from all over the world here working together, U.S. citizens come from every corner of the globe.
Yes and your huge giant budget, but when it comes to per capita you arent even close to other countries. Your students also score horribly low, so you have to import scientists from other countries. All japanese scientists are born and raised in Japan, and our students score amongst the highest on this planet.

By the way the #1 inventor right now with the most patents on earth is Shunpei Yamazaki of Japan.

But anyway I used to love the US but people like you who HAVENT TRAVELLED TO OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD and just automatically assume the US is the best in everything on the planet make me furstrated. Many americans are frustrated by people like you too, who without even visiting another place say the US is better then that country. How can you say the US is more technologically advanced in your daily life than japan when guess what - you have not. even. been. to. japan.

Last edited by Bibi12; 11-18-2009 at 06:22 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 05:26 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
At present South Korea is the most technologicaly advanced country, with Japan a close second.

Last edited by archineer; 11-18-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 PM

YouTube - Korea: Coffee? Use your cellphone

YouTube - A cell phone controls the heater in my home.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Korea seems like the same as Japan when it comes to every day technology it seems. Last time I went to Busan was in the summer of 2008, and like I said before it feels like japan to me, just a bit poorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
At present South Korea is the most technologicaly advanced country, with Japan a close second.
According to who? The 2009 report shows Japan #1, and south korea as #11 i believe. Out of the top 25 companies for patents, 13 are Japanese (more than half) more than any other country. Out of top 10, 5 are american, 4 japanese, 1 korean.

http://graphics.eiu.com/PDF/Cisco_In...n_Complete.pdf

China is the fastest gainer of all countries though when it comes to innovation index.

http://www.eetasia.com/ART_880056129...T_97f40f78.HTM
Average time-to-takeoff of new products across nations is used to rank them according to innovativeness.
1. Japan 5.4
2. Norway 5.7
3. Sweden 6.1
4. The Netherlands 6.1
5. Denmark 6.1
6. United States 6.2
7. Switzerland 6.3
8. Austria 6.4
9. Belgium 6.5
10. Canada 6.9

Im pretty sure south korea should be ranked identical to Japan in this study, but I dont think they included south korea.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Also I think another reason Japan and some european countries feel more advanced in their daily lives is because of income equality, meaning a large middle class. The US basically has the largest gap between rich and poor of all developed countries.

Here are the most income equal countries in the world by the gini index.

1. Denmark
2. Japan
3. Sweden
4. Czech Republic
5. Norway
23. South Korea
73. USA

This means a larger percent of the population of countries with high income equality can have high tech stuff, as opposed to just few. Also keep in mind Japan has a smaller tax burden and government than the USA, and does not have wealth redistribution programs like denmark (social democracy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Korea seems like the same as Japan when it comes to every day technology it seems. Last time I went to Busan was in the summer of 2008, and like I said before it feels like japan to me, just a bit poorer.

According to who? The 2009 report shows Japan #1, and south korea as #11 i believe. Out of the top 25 companies for patents, 13 are Japanese (more than half) more than any other country. Out of top 10, 5 are american, 4 japanese, 1 korean.

http://graphics.eiu.com/PDF/Cisco_In...n_Complete.pdf

China is the fastest gainer of all countries though when it comes to innovation index.

Japan rules as most innovative nation
Average time-to-takeoff of new products across nations is used to rank them according to innovativeness.
1. Japan 5.4
2. Norway 5.7
3. Sweden 6.1
4. The Netherlands 6.1
5. Denmark 6.1
6. United States 6.2
7. Switzerland 6.3
8. Austria 6.4
9. Belgium 6.5
10. Canada 6.9

Im pretty sure south korea should be ranked identical to Japan in this study, but I dont think they included south korea.
I would say your assessment is pretty accurate and fair. japan still leads for now but korea is tech saavy as well. I definitely agree that china is the fastest gainer.

All this competition is great for one thing, more innovation which is shared with the world and makes all our lives better or more enjoyable.

277 posts, read 626,905 times
In 1990 the U.S. Patent Office formally recognized Hyatt as the rightful inventor of the microprocessor.

James Russell invented the compact disc in the 60s and patented it in 1970.
Inventor of the Week: Archive

I am done arguing with you, I have wasted enough of my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World