Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:04 AM

8 posts, read 23,250 times

Advertisements

Hey all
So what are your recomendations for the best islands to relocate to. I am in the US and already with dual citizenship. I would like to one day retire to an island and buy property and just relax and enjoy the breeze with my family .

I would like to take into consideration which islands are the most westernized, good quality of living based on income, safety and easy immigration laws/requirements.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 12:39 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
Retiring to a foreign country can be very difficult if you do not already have citizenship or are married to a citizen. Most governments will simply not allow it unless you are very rich (by their standards) although there are a few exceptions to this. Maybe make a list of places that interest you for starters ?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
Retiring to a foreign country can be very difficult if you do not already have citizenship or are married to a citizen. Most governments will simply not allow it unless you are very rich (by their standards) although there are a few exceptions to this. Maybe make a list of places that interest you for starters ?
Yes you are right, it is very hard but I also heard that it is easier to retire in some islands like Jamaica for example where one does not have to be a citizen to buy property and live there.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Hawaii, that's where I'd like to retire!

The advantages of lush tropical island, but with first world standard of living.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:58 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
Many countries will allow foreign citizens to buy property for investment eg to rent out. If you want to live in it you will need to qualify for a resident's visa. So you need to make sure that you do qualify before you purchase !!!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Ok, then assuming that residency is not a big issue....again.. what are some of the best islands to live?

Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
I would choose any of the Greek Islands. Don't know much about the questions you asked but I have been there and I think they are the most beautiful places I have ever seen!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:14 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,195 times
Malta, Greek Islands, Cyprus, Hawaii, Sicily

Old 11-12-2009, 05:36 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stars View Post
Hey all
So what are your recomendations for the best islands to relocate to. I am in the US and already with dual citizenship. I would like to one day retire to an island and buy property and just relax and enjoy the breeze with my family .

I would like to take into consideration which islands are the most westernized, good quality of living based on income, safety and easy immigration laws/requirements.

Thanks

Based on the bolded portion of your Original Post, it's difficult to see how you make the transition to:

Quote:
then assuming that residency is not a big issue

Unless, of course, your scenario is only hypothetical ???

Old 11-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Based on the bolded portion of your Original Post, it's difficult to see how you make the transition to:

Unless, of course, your scenario is only hypothetical ???
Presently it is hypothetical but when the time comes I would probably be interested in retirement somewhere outside of the united states but residency requirements is not my main concern. I just want to get other's opinion on which parts of the world have the best islands to visit or live, either/or
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World