Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
Lisbon 35 58.33%
San Francisco 25 41.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:35 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,262,345 times

Advertisements

I voted San Fran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 11:52 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,697,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
I think people tend to picture the typical professional in SF as a computer engineer of some kind. However this kind of highly skilled professional aren't the majority. As a rule of thumb if you don't have a marketable education life sucks big time in the US, and this statement is particularly true in SF.
Computer engineers concentrate in Silicon Valley, most of them hardly visit the city of San Francisco.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:16 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,766,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Cost of living should be a factor in this poll in my opinion. Lisbon blows San Francisco out of the water regarding cost of living for those that can provide their own source of income.
When I visited Lisbon, the first thing I thought was, wow, it looks so much like SF!

But as you mentioned, the cost of living in SF is just truly ridiculous. I would choose Lisbon for that and for the nightlife. I would love to return someday.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I have not been to Lisbon but have heard great things about it. SF is nice by American standards but I found it to be quite costly with some very seedy neighbourhoods such as the Tenderloin. The weather isn't so great either because of the cold summers. I had to wear a sweater there during the day most of the time. I will give the edge to Lisbon despite having not been there because from what I know, it seems to have a lot more going for it.
SF tends to be quite cold all the time. The chilly winds there can be very uncomfortable.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:17 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,498,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Lisbon (Portugal) versus San Francisco (United States)

- Weather

- Culture

- Architecture

- Food

- Night scene

- Infrastructure

Which one would you pick?

Since I have never set foot in Lisbon Portugal I am compelled to vote for San Francisco California. And judging by the photos of the two metropolitan area I will say that San Francisco is a more hectic City. Lisbon is more laid-back which is the type of city i would rather live in , as opposed to San Francisco a dye in the wool rat race city.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:20 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,498,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Lisbon (Portugal) versus San Francisco (United States)

- Weather

- Culture

- Architecture

- Food

- Night scene

- Infrastructure

Which one would you pick?

Since I have never set foot in Lisbon Portugal I am compelled to vote for San Francisco California. And judging by the photos of the two metropolitan area I will say that San Francisco is a more hectic City. Lisbon is more laid-back which is the type of city i would rather live in , as opposed to San Francisco a dye in the wool rat race city.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,824,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
When I visited Lisbon, the first thing I thought was, wow, it looks so much like SF!

But as you mentioned, the cost of living in SF is just truly ridiculous. I would choose Lisbon for that and for the nightlife. I would love to return someday.
They both have trams, hills, similar bridges and mild weather although Lisbon is a bit warmer, SF can be cold especially if you get a gust of wind.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,943,855 times
These are two of my very favorite cities and at first glance they are somewhat similar.

My choices:

SF: Location, Food (because of the variety; Portuguese food is delicious though)
Lisbon: Weather (warmer);, Culture; Architecture; Night scene; Infrastructure (I find Lisbon easier to get around in)

Old 04-03-2017, 09:41 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,729,461 times
- Location - Lisbon by a long way. Located in the most interesting continent on earth but also close to one of my favourite places Morocco! Cheap flights to the rest of Europe and Africa and just that much closer to more places in Asia.

- Weather - I'll go with S.F on this. I can bear summer heat but I prefer the year round temperate climate of S.F.

- Culture - Lisbon and not even close. I love Portugal and Portuguese culture.

- Architecture - Lisbon - not even close. Lisbon has some of the most colourful and interesting architecture around. Love the colourful tile work. Also love the Moorish influence. There are extensive blocks of old mid-rise architecture that you simply don't typically have in N.A.

- Food - Lisbon. S.F has better fine dining but I love the cheap eats everywhere you go in Lisbon I'd love some bacalhau - right now! Pasteis De Nata and coffee in the morning is divine!

- Night scene - Lisbon. Its in Europe so already at a huge advantage in this category - but the nightlife in Lisbon is alive and on oozing onto the streets in ways S.F or typical N.A cities could only dream of.

- Infrastructure - Overall i'd probably go with S.F on this one. Lisbon has a decent Subway system but it also has a smaller airport and the general condition of the city isn't on par with S.F.

Which one would you pick? To work - S.F.. Let's face it better opportunities but to live Lisbon. Its in my top 5 cities in the world to live if I could!

Last edited by fusion2; 04-03-2017 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
They both have trams, hills, similar bridges and mild weather although Lisbon is a bit warmer, SF can be cold especially if you get a gust of wind.
I think SF can get VERY cold. When I was in Lisbon it was cloudy but it did feel a little warmer.

Another positive is that now I know how to speak Portuguese, I would love to live in Lisbon, I thought it was a beautiful city.

I need to build an online business so that I can move. I have a friend who lives in different countries, he works online. I'm jealous of that lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World