Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:26 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,998,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
your nation is not faithful to god , largely speaking it twists what jesus preached , like i said earlier , christian culture in america is unique in that it glorifies the wealthy
I believe it is only up to God to personally judge nations, and we are not living in Old testament times when God did truly judge the nations at that time as he did with ancient countries of Israel, Egypt and Babylon. Of course there are so called Christians that twist the message of what Jesus preaches, and so called Christians that commit terrible and unspeakable crimes. But there are many people that process to be Christian but they are not really Christian. But their actions are not representative of all Christians.

The USA is not a Christian country, and it as it has always been a secular democracy. But the USA is a more of a culturally Christian country than any other Western nation.

Of course there are even European leaders that have referenced their Christian faith in their speeches such as Angela Merkel, and the previous 2 Prime Ministers of the UK. But a difference from them is they are not as politically to the right as their republican counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 06:40 PM

1,147 posts, read 721,210 times
Christianity in America is different.

I find it confronting, because I'm not used to religion being such a public thing.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:37 AM

7,877 posts, read 10,321,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I believe it is only up to God to personally judge nations, and we are not living in Old testament times when God did truly judge the nations at that time as he did with ancient countries of Israel, Egypt and Babylon. Of course there are so called Christians that twist the message of what Jesus preaches, and so called Christians that commit terrible and unspeakable crimes. But there are many people that process to be Christian but they are not really Christian. But their actions are not representative of all Christians.

The USA is not a Christian country, and it as it has always been a secular democracy. But the USA is a more of a culturally Christian country than any other Western nation.

Of course there are even European leaders that have referenced their Christian faith in their speeches such as Angela Merkel, and the previous 2 Prime Ministers of the UK. But a difference from them is they are not as politically to the right as their republican counterparts.
thats because american politicians bring hypocrosy to a new level , i can imagine paul ryan saying " god bless america " while the same day stripping millions of basic healthcare

Old 06-03-2017, 08:32 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,844,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
your nation is not faithful to god , largely speaking it twists what jesus preached , like i said earlier , christian culture in america is unique in that it glorifies the wealthy
This is not true. I am a Christian in the southern United States. This is the heart of what people over here call the Bible Belt. What I am getting at is that I know what Christian culture is in America, as it is the culture I belong to. American christians are no different than Christian people around the world. We are sinners, we need Jesus to save us from sin and we are thankful for what he did. Christians are not glorifying wealth nor do we think capitalism is part of Christianity as another poster said. Our economic system or system of government has nothing to do with our faith. If you live in Europe or Ireland as your name suggests then you just don't know so I will just drop this. I do doubt however that anything I say will change your opinion of us, I know it's real popular to dislike the USA over there.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:42 AM

10,656 posts, read 16,080,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
we need Jesus to save us from sin
Sane people don't need an invisible person to save them from anything.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:54 AM

9,483 posts, read 10,844,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Sane people don't need an invisible person to save them from anything.
The purpose of this thread was not to belittle those who believe in God or to demean Americans for being more religious. The discussion at hand is a comparison of Europe and North America with respect to faith.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:20 AM

Generally, Christianity in America is somewhat different to Christianity elsewhere.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:33 AM

America is more puritan than other Western nations.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:34 AM

10,656 posts, read 16,080,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The purpose of this thread was not to belittle those who believe in God or to demean Americans for being more religious. The discussion at hand is a comparison of Europe and North America with respect to faith.
My intention is not to belittle you, i'm just being realistic.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Americans seem to be more public about their religion. That is how their country is and that's okay.

Where I'm from, that type of openness and enthusiasm would probably be a bit overwhelming. People have religious freedom, but that doesn't mean it's culturally appropriate to be preachy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World