Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,802,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Nope. The Sex Pistols learned about the Ramones when they visited in 1976.

Other bands followed.

The Sex Pistols were a money making vehicle for Malcom McLaren and Vivian Westwood.

Manic Panic (1977) celebrates it's 40th anniversary this July. Two of my closest friends Tish and Snooky, have been the proprietors since the store opened in July of that year. I can't wait for the celebration party in NYC.

Your Punk Rock information is WRONG.
Are you supposedly 'punk rock?'

With the coming of the internet, punk rock died. It ceased to exist.

I don't really consider the Ramones or the Sex Pistols punk rock. They are commercial rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 11:26 AM

25 posts, read 31,800 times
Berlin or Dubai

Old 05-06-2017, 12:02 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,934,804 times
I don't see why people keep saying Dubai, its social customs are far too strict for it to be cool. How can somewhere where public kissing is illegal be "cool"?

Old 05-06-2017, 12:08 PM

25 posts, read 31,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I don't see why people keep saying Dubai, its social customs are far too strict for it to be cool. How can somewhere where public kissing is illegal be "cool"?
Most of the world isn't Western and doesn't have the same arbitrary standards. You'll be surprised to find that billions of people don't see public sexual display as a prerequisite for cool.

Dubai is the center of arts and culture and business for the entire Islamic world. It's one of the best cities in the world, and as a Muslim I like it because it's one of the few places where I don't have to make a choice between participating in the social life and entertainment opportunities of a city while sacrificing my morals and values. There are 2bn Muslims who feel similarly.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:14 PM

10,648 posts, read 16,065,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeCasio View Post
Dubai is the center of arts and culture and business for the entire Islamic world. It's one of the best cities in the world, and as a Muslim I like it because it's one of the few places where I don't have to make a choice between participating in the social life and entertainment opportunities of a city while sacrificing my morals and values. There are 2bn Muslims who feel similarly.
Correction: one of the best cities in the Islamic world.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeCasio View Post
Most of the world isn't Western and doesn't have the same arbitrary standards. You'll be surprised to find that billions of people don't see public sexual display as a prerequisite for cool.

Well this forum is western, and many of these customs are very restrictive compared to western nations. I'm not sure most Muslims around the world even like the idea of living in a place where you can be thrown in jail for swearing. And on the idea of moraility, the fact that homosexuality can lead to 10 years in prison is probably seen as gravely immoral by most of the world.

A cool environment is one where attitudes are liberal, you're free to express yourself, and it's generally laid back. Dubai doesn't really deliver on much of this, so it isn't "cool".

Old 05-06-2017, 12:47 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,327,597 times
Quote:
A cool environment is one where attitudes are liberal
Obviously not everyone agrees with you.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Obviously not everyone agrees with you.
I mean liberal in the traditional sense. People can do whatever they want without the government sticking their nose into everything.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:55 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,327,597 times
Quote:
I mean liberal in the traditional sense. People can do whatever they want without the government sticking their nose into everything.
That doesn't seem to work either. For example, some people might find the regimented structure of the military with its uniformity, discipline and strict chain of command to be cool, even though it is far from libertarian.

Defining something like this goes into the philosophy of aesthetics, which I think is a bit beyond the purpose of this thread.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
That doesn't seem to work either.

For example, some people might find the regimented structure of the military with its strict chain of command to be "cool", even though it is far from libertarian. Defining something like this goes into the philosophy of aesthetics, and not something you can define arbitrarily.
Basically the point you're trying to make is that people have different opinions. You're breaking new ground there my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World