Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:26 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Boring, lack of proper nightlife, too many rules, expensive... what's cool about that?
Singapore is not boring. It is actually an underrated city. Amazing climate, delicious food, mix of cultures and very nice gardens and beaches!

Expensive... and you like Tokyo and New York ? (which are amazing cities, I don't deny that at all but those cities are very expensive.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 05:27 PM

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Singapore is not boring. It is actually an underrated city. Amazing climate, delicious food, mix of cultures and very nice gardens and beaches!
Climate and food are great sure but the beaches are nothing special.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:31 AM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Points of Convergence View Post
Which city or cities in the world are culturally the coolest, in your opinion.

I guess in days before cultural terminology such as "cool" entered common usage, people would refer to the same qualities as "glory" or "grace".

I appreciate many people have their own opinions on what counts as cool, so please define this if necessary, using examples of people, cultural icons, objets d'arts and so on.
New York City. Why?

- Greenwich Village - arty, interesting, open minded. O Henry lived there. And so did a plethora of artists, writers and actors.

- The East Village - At one time, the trendier and lest costly version of the Village.

- CBGBs, Max's Kansas City, Punk Rock - The Velvet Underground, The New York Dolls, The Ramones, The Talking Heads, Blondie, The Patti Smith Group, and other bands that have altered the course of music -in the latter part of the 20th C and on.

- People are always welcome here - from refugees from the South, to those from Eastern Europe, and small towns across the US - NYC WELCOMES YOU! And no one needs to change their accent.

Examples - Truman Capote (Alabama) Andy Warhol (Pittsburgh) Harper Lee (Alabama) John Lennon (Liverpool England)-he was murdered by a deranged fan from Georgia.

LOU REED. Probably the essence of 20th century cool.

The Hotel Chelsea - A haven for artists of all types for over 100 years. From Dylan Thomas to Bob Dylan. From Lance Loud to Rene Ricard and Edie Sedgewick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Chelsea

Atlantic Ocean beaches.

Best food on earth.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:39 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
New York City. Why?

- Greenwich Village - arty, interesting, open minded. O Henry lived there. And so did a plethora of artists, writers and actors.

- The East Village - At one time, the trendier and lest costly version of the Village.

- CBGBs, Max's Kansas City, Punk Rock - The Velvet Underground, The New York Dolls, The Ramones, The Talking Heads, Blondie, The Patti Smith Group, and other bands that have altered the course of music -in the latter part of the 20th C and on.

- People are always welcome here - from refugees from the South, to those from Eastern Europe, and small towns across the US - NYC WELCOMES YOU! And no one needs to change their accent.

Examples - Truman Capote (Alabama) Andy Warhol (Pittsburgh) Harper Lee (Alabama) John Lennon (Liverpool England)-he was murdered by a deranged fan from Georgia.

The Hotel Chelsea - A haven for artists of all types for over 100 years. From Dylan Thomas to Bob Dylan. From Lance Loud to Rene Ricard and Edie Sedgewick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Chelsea

Atlantic Ocean beaches.

Best food on earth.
Punk Rock originated in the UK, does New York really have the best food on earth? (I wouldn't know I've never been), out of interest why do you say this?

Old 05-05-2017, 03:30 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Actually New York is really cool in that one can easily spot an A-list celebrity on the streets as they all live there. It'd be awesome to have that kind of experience.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:51 AM

779 posts, read 596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Actually New York is really cool in that one can easily spot an A-list celebrity on the streets as they all live there. It'd be awesome to have that kind of experience.
Not really true. For the vast majority seeing an a-list celebrity on the street would be utterly meaningless and would constitute nothing to 'coolness'.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:45 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberately View Post
I lived in NYC 7 years and never saw a celebrity. (Plus, celebrities aren't necessarily the epitome of cool, I mean look at Kim Kardashian, do you think she makes a place cool?)

There are barely any real artists living in NYC, it's very expensive to live there and artists generally can't afford to live there.

NYC is a whole lot of myths but nothing more.

I'd say the coolest cities in the United States are Baltimore, New Orleans, perhaps Philadelphia.
I'm at a very cynical and irritated place at the moment so I'm just gonna say that I've reported you, and **** you.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 PM

468 posts, read 616,014 times
NYC will always be the embodiment for cool, you can't change an opinion that is long standing, but Melbourne and Sydney are definitely having a moment.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:20 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Punk Rock originated in the UK, does New York really have the best food on earth? (I wouldn't know I've never been), out of interest why do you say this?
Nope. The Sex Pistols learned about the Ramones when they visited in 1976.

Other bands followed.

The Sex Pistols were a money making vehicle for Malcom McLaren and Vivian Westwood.

Manic Panic (1977) celebrates it's 40th anniversary this July. Two of my closest friends Tish and Snooky, have been the proprietors since the store opened in July of that year. I can't wait for the celebration party in NYC.

Your Punk Rock information is WRONG.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:05 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
New York City. Why?

Atlantic Ocean beaches.

Best food on earth.
We're talking about what is cool and current in 2017. Most of your examples are ancient
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World