Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 06:28 PM

511 posts, read 625,119 times

Advertisements

I've heard this name pronounced so many different ways, and I wish I knew which was was correct. I'm in the USA, native English speaker, so my phonetics will be based on English phonemes. I hope this isn't confusing when trying to tell me how to correctly pronounce this guy's name.

Ciro Marchetti

Is Ciro pronounced...

1. Cheero?

2. Sheero?

3. Seero?

4. Keero?

5. Or...?

Is Marchetti pronounced...

1. Mar - cheh - tee?

2. Mar - keh - tee?

3. Mar - sheh - tee?

4. Or...?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 06:34 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Cheeroh Markehtee.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
There is a double T too, you shouldn't ignore it.

Anyway, trying to transposing the sound into English, I would write something like

Cheero Mar-keht-ti

Vowels are important, and have to be understandable. A is always read as in "alpha", E is read as in "red", I is read as the double ee in "cheese", O like in "open" and U as the English double oo.
I wrote the "i" in Ciro as a "ee" and the one in Marchetti as "i" for underling that the first one is longer. I added an "h" after the "e" in Marchetti because that "e" must me said clearly.
The double T sound is probably the hardest to explain, it is midway between a long T sound and two consecutive T sounds.

(I'mean writing this at 7:30 am from my cellphone, so I can't exclude typos, weird correction made by the phone or errors I made because still too sleepy for posting).

Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
I agree with Urania as a non-native speaker.

Also, double consonants are a nightmare.

The longer vowel means that you have to stress that particular syllable, another nightmare of the italian language.

everything else is quite easy to pronounce in Italian in general.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Easy for a Finn to pronounce.

Great username BTW.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:09 PM

511 posts, read 625,119 times
Thank you, everyone for your responses! Urania, I deeply appreciate the depth of your answer. I studied your vowel pronunciations, and I'll remember them in the future when encountering Italian words. I'll also remember the double "t." I didn't pay much attention to it initially, but I realize many native English speakers change the t to d because they're formed the same in the mouth, and it's just easier to use the voiced d over the unvoiced t. I know I was pronouncing it Mar -keh -dee and not Mar -keh -tee myself. I'll be more careful now when encountering Italian words, try not to devolve into the voiced d when I encounter t.

With a user name of Algiz (Ariete, you got it!), one might surmise a love of language and other things, yes, and that person would be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World