Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite?
Melbourne 7 20.00%
Miami 14 40.00%
Sydney 16 45.71%
Tel-Aviv 3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:43 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,388,384 times

Advertisements

Funny how Melbourne is always ranked among the top 5 places to live yet here it is a "sore" loser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 03:18 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,991,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
They all offer similar things...i.e. city with a beautiful beach. I prefer Sydney beaches way more than Melbourne ones.
Ironically the four are tied for my favorite city on Earth but I'm not much of a beach person. Don't get me wrong, I love the coast and that plays into why all four are even here at the top of my list but more so because I enjoy water activities like boating, paddle boating, jet skiing, and in controlled environments diving as well.

I also appreciate the differences all four bring to the table, each has something the other 3 cannot touch. As far as I'm concerned I hope I never find a way to distinguish one over the other 3 for my favorite overall, as I quite enjoy the way they pull in as a tie by their own accords for everything I want in a place. I like the fourway tie for #1 in other words, that's just me though.

I have been to three of these four (Sydney, Melbourne, Miami) and while I haven't been to Tel-Aviv, I have done extensive background search on the city, to get an adequate idea of what the city has to offer and what it is all about.

I'm going to do a long and lengthy post in the coming days with a large synopsis of each of the four places (especially in the three I actually have been to) detailing what it is about them that I like and some of the similar factors that all four possess that appeals to me on many different levels. I was in Germany just a few days ago traveling with a friend and while we were in Essen my friend threw out the idea of getting a tattoo. Typically I'm not a tattoo person, the whole body-ink thing is just a non-starter of an idea for me and I didn't have any tattoos before but while we were in Essen we both got a tattoo. I just figured that there's always a first time in life for everything and this will be the first and only time I entertain a tattoo. For me, I got a tattoo reading "London Miami Sydney Melbourne Tel-Aviv Hong Kong Tokyo" on my wrist in 8 point font so that way it wouldn't be all too visible. Only tattoo I'll ever get but I got it so that way everyday I can stay focussed on my personal life goal, which is to own and operate property for personal self in all four of Miami, Sydney, Melbourne, and Tel-Aviv as a life goal, which is what I want to work towards, especially because I have a set neighborhood in mind for all four cities that I want to own a home in. I had London's name put in there as well because of the great, life-changing experience I've had so far pursuing a higher degree here and Hong Kong because if I had large-sum $100 million dollars, then I know where I would be. Tokyo because it is where I am moving to at the end of the year for a program that will give me insight on life in the world's largest metropolis.

I can only speak for myself here but I want nothing more than this.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:08 PM

19 posts, read 18,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Melbourne versus Miami versus Sydney versus Tel-Aviv
These are my personal four favorite places on Earth, bar none (after these would be Barcelona) and I've been to three out of four of these (haven't seen Tel-Aviv up close and in person yet) and I've also lived briefly in one of them as well (Miami).
Which one is your favorite? Why?
Research (and second hand accounts for that matter) is not really enough to define a favorite, at "bar none", when you haven't even been to one of these, that just means there are 1,000 other places you are blind to as well. Saying it's your personal opinion doesn't buy your way out either, at minimum it doesn't inspire confidence in your assessment.

Not attacking you, to each their own, but your username, Facts Kill Rhetoric, seems a glaring contradiction against this thread.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:28 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,993,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Funny how Melbourne is always ranked among the top 5 places to live yet here it is a "sore" loser
That is true and Melbourne has been voted several times recently the most livable city in the world according to the Economist.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:46 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,511,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Living in Melbourne, I can see why the city is considered livable,but it is highly overrated.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:43 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,995,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Tel-Aviv?
no thanks
It's the most liberal, and least Islamic, city in the Middle East. It even hosts gay pride parades, for starters.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,858,820 times
Miami, because I live here and love it.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:34 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,993,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
It's the most liberal, and least Islamic, city in the Middle East. It even hosts gay pride parades, for starters.
Even Johannesburg holds gay pride. But that city and Tel-Aviv are not really safe places.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowensone View Post
Research (and second hand accounts for that matter) is not really enough to define a favorite, at "bar none", when you haven't even been to one of these, that just means there are 1,000 other places you are blind to as well. Saying it's your personal opinion doesn't buy your way out either, at minimum it doesn't inspire confidence in your assessment.
I'm not quite sure where you get off telling people that you don't know where they have or haven't been. Probably stay off doing that. I quite clearly stated that I have been to 3 out of 4 of these cities, lived in one of them too.

Don't know what the rest of your rambling is about.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-30-2017 at 03:10 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowensone View Post
Actually I just re-read this. My apologies for the prior post, it was reading comprehension failure on my part. I interpreted your post to be one of those standard "you've never been anywhere" type of things because I read your context incorrectly. So my apologies on that. Though to be fair, the wording and context in your post threw me for a loop there.

As for your post. Yeah, I haven't been to Tel-Aviv, so I suppose it is fair for there to be criticism and to question why it would be amongst my 4 favorite cities on the planet given the lack of personal first hand experience. That may be true but I have a vetting process for cities, the cities with the most qualities that favor what I want are up there. It has to go my way, has to be a 'my kind of place' sort of thing. It isn't really anything structured or defined, as I let different places play to their own strengths, but its the overall composition of what a place has going for it and how it comes about. For me, Tel-Aviv checks every major box on my checklist and almost across the board.

I understand that Tel-Aviv may or may not live up to the standards I expect of it prior to visiting, but really I doubt I'd be disappointed with the place either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World