Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:20 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,769,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I tend to trust the National Bureau of Investigation, which says that China is the largest nation conducting industrial espionage in Finland.
Followed by America? Congratulations. I'm sure Somalia is low in that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 02:35 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,983,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Both the US and Europe continue to have larger GDPs then China
No they don't. At least not with the GDP metric that actually matters (which is GDP PPP and not Nominal GDP).

China's GDP PPP surpassed the United States in 2013 and each year makes the gap even larger.

You must be referring to Nominal GDP, that's a useless metric that takes in inflationary causes which vary on a day-to-day and year-to-year basis. Basically a hollow statistic with no actual value.

The GDP measure that actually does matter is GDP PPP, which is Gross Domestic Product by Purchasing Power Parity, which factors out inflationary causes and adjusts the GDP to represent purchasing power of the general populace. In contrast Nominal GDP buffers due to volatile currency exchange rates and valuations of particular global commodities, which change on a daily and yearly basis.

China has had a larger economy than the United States for 4 years now and will continue to do so going forward as it puts more distance between itself and the United States. To answer the question though, no China is not a Superpower, only America is, for now. I foresee a future where America loses its Superpower status and the world no longer has a Superpower but rather a collection of 5-6 countries that have the most influence.
Quote:
Comparisons using PPP are arguably more useful than nominal when assessing a nation's domestic market because PPP takes into account the relative cost of local goods, services and inflation rates of the country, rather than using international market exchange rates which may distort the real differences in per capita income.
GDP PPP is the metric used when determining advanced world countries from the developing world countries and it is the metric used to gauge the level of human development in each country, very significant attributes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_by_GDP_(PPP)

Old 05-29-2017, 02:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,837,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Followed by America? Congratulations. I'm sure Somalia is low in that list.
No, Russia.

No Somalian spies I know of.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:10 PM

421 posts, read 288,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the usa is even more powerful in every way than its own population or the rest of the world even considers it to be , in every sphere from economy to political influence to military , america is streets ahead , the american goverment - establishment seems to want much of its population to believe its not doing well enough however , this might explain the trump phenomenon , its incredibly unequal as a country but most americans undoubtably prefer it this way or at least have been convinced of it

it will be centuries before its toppled from its position
No.With trump at the white house the USA is a joke .

Old 06-02-2017, 04:26 PM

245 posts, read 132,854 times
My take: not yet but yes I see Asian countries being the last bastion of civilization, western culture is dying from within, thanks to open border and mass immigration policies in Europe and the US we are regressing and instead of developing things and moving on we are worried about microagressions and cultural appropriation lol the US is a joke now thanks to SJW culture.

Trump was the last dying breath of the US trying to regain it's identity one last time but long term it simply won't happen, demographic trends show that 20 years from now most of the west will probably be locked in a cultural war and killing itself from within.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:05 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,446,763 times
Personally I'm a bit of the sinophile and I hope if China takes over the world culturally then will see more (mock) lantern festivals, paper dragons, and spread of kung fu classes across the west.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:27 AM

28 posts, read 17,295 times
China still needs another 10-20 years to become a full superpower.

There economy GDP purchasing power is already first.
By GDP nominal they are second.

Their military is getting stronger, but still needs that above time period to approach US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World