Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,370,848 times

Advertisements

https://www.thenation.com/article/ho...western-world/

The red Dragon has swallowed the world, how will the EU act and is this the end of the western era (fake democracy/aristocracy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,868,941 times
Both the US and Europe continue to have larger GDPs then China, you also have to consider the hundreds of millions of Chinese in poverty.

China also lacks in cultural influence even in Asia, but again, with time it will grow.

I believe China is already a superpower along with the US and Europe. But they are not as influential as either. It will be at least another decade.

China is the epitome of fake democracy and aristocracy despite what the communist party may try to say and promote. Not just anyone can join the Communist Party and one has to be a member to vote in China. It's a sham to keep those in power. No western country has a "fake democracy". We have our problems with elitism, but that exists everywhere.

China is a complicated place. Collectively they are powerful as a whole nation, but the average Chinese person doesn't live a high quality life like we have in the west. I don't know if I believe they will reach that point in our lifetime.

China has always been a historically powerful country, the last couple hundred years are simply a low point along a long history. I feel like we live in exciting times seeing China make its comeback. I don't worry about a growing China, in fact I worry more about westerners getting jealous or envious over China's perceived success. But I don't see China matching western quality of life in my lifetime.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:30 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,198,843 times
Not yet. It doesn't happen that quickly.
But the US is on a rapid downward spiral. Trump and his fellow crazies have turned us into a complete joke & laughing stock.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:26 AM

387 posts, read 376,182 times
I do not think that the US or the EU are in a downward spiral but rather that China regains the place it may have had during its past.

And I think that's a good thing, the Chinese middle class now represents 300 millions people, they are educated and are an important intellectual breeding ground for humanity.

The number of scientists will increase significantly and discoveries too. All this stimulus will benefit to China but also to humanity as a whole.

The number of researchers in the world will increase to 20 millions in 2020, twice as many as in 2010.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:44 AM

29,860 posts, read 18,704,050 times
The US still dominates the world in technology, innovation, military, highest GDP. Illegal immigration is dragging the US down...Trump has stemmed the tide with a 70% reduction in illegal immigration.

China has 4 times the population of the US and should pass the US in GDP in the coming years....which means they will have achieved 1/4th the productivity of US labor. China's military and technology still trail the US in a significant way. China also has some serious problems of pollution and the 1 child policy means they will have an imbalance in workers versus retirees in the coming decades.

IMO, Europe has started a downward spiral or at least stagnation. Who knows how they will come out of it or if.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,549,929 times
I don't think it matters when all natural resources are used up. A country is only as good as the amount of resource you can get.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:00 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,868,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The US still dominates the world in technology, innovation, military, highest GDP. Illegal immigration is dragging the US down...Trump has stemmed the tide with a 70% reduction in illegal immigration.

China has 4 times the population of the US and should pass the US in GDP in the coming years....which means they will have achieved 1/4th the productivity of US labor. China's military and technology still trail the US in a significant way. China also has some serious problems of pollution and the 1 child policy means they will have an imbalance in workers versus retirees in the coming decades.

IMO, Europe has started a downward spiral or at least stagnation. Who knows how they will come out of it or if.
It's now a 2 child policy which was implemented in either 2015 or 2016. China knows they are going to have a population imbalance and it will be interesting to see how they manage it.

Neither the US nor Europe are in a downward spiral despite what the political people try to say. Both places economies are growing and their influence is still very strong in the world.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:30 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,900,361 times
Nope, many academics still doubt that it's even qualifies superpower yet. It's excelling economically, but it's far behind the US in terms of technological achievements, cultural influence, and military capabilities.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:33 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,675,564 times
As long as China is the second largest country of origin (after the Russkies) conducting industrial espionage in the small country of Finland, and child labour producing my sneakers, I have difficulties to think of China as anything else but a Lame Power.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:40 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,512,124 times
China is a superpower without doubt, but not *the* superpower. USA is way more influent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World