Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2017, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,582,890 times
Reputation: 11937

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Grams are understood better than kilos. I find it hard to believe they don't know what a liter is unless they don't drink soda at all as it comes in one and two liter bottles for the larger sizes. And as someone else said, even car engines are now in liters although we still by fuel by the gallon.

Celsius is the least used and least understood and will probably never catch on. It is used only in science.
They may be familiar with a 2 litre bottle of pop, but somehow for most that doesn't translate into other uses, such as buying gasoline and milk.

I've even told some Americans that they buy pop in the US in litres, and they just blink at me.

Stand by a deli counter in Vancouver and wait for the Americans buying things in metric. Very, very few ask for anything in grams. " What's that in ounces " is what you hear.

Sometimes they try, and ask for 800 grams of sandwich meat. The clerks know enough to show them about 250 and ask do they want more...usually they don't

Maybe it's the cruise ship crowd we get, but it is still not unusual to hear Americans when paying a bill
" is that in American dollars ? "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2017, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,128 posts, read 24,837,564 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Wouldn't you also use nautical miles in navigation? Does this count as "imperial"?
Actually I don't think we use, BUT we use nautical miles as a measurement of vessel speed. Aviation might use nautical miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Reputation: 101093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But you still need to calculate and account for that on your measuring tape, which has increasingly small markers for halfs, quarters, eighths, etc.


If I was doing metric, I'd go with 167 mm and just drop the rest...
Well if I was doing inches I'd go with 6.5 and drop the rest.

Easy peasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Reputation: 101093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Uhm, just because the US, Burma and Liberia are the only countries which don't use the metric system doesn't mean it wouldn't be an universal system. 203 of 206 independent countries are pretty damn universal to me.

Besides, the science community, the US Armed Forces and NASA use the metric system.
Um, get back with me when most of those other countries have economies as big as the US. Actually who cares anyway? If the US wants to switch to the metric system, I'm sure we could do it. Heck, we may do it, it may already be "in the works" and for all I know, my grandkids will be using the metric system exclusively by the time they're grown and if so, more power to them. I already use the metric system in various aspects in my life and wayyyyyy back in time in the 1960s and 1970s we actually (this is the really cool part) LEARNED IT IN SCHOOL. It's not a hard concept or system to grasp - not even for Americans. It's just not what we currently use, based on tradition.

And I already stated that many professions use their own "universal" systems regardless of country of origin of the folks involved. But thanks for repeating that, I guess. Hell, why not.

Like I and many others have been saying on this thread, it's a matter of tradition. It has nothing to do with intelligence or the ability or lack thereof to grasp different concepts.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 05-29-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Reputation: 101093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
They may be familiar with a 2 litre bottle of pop, but somehow for most that doesn't translate into other uses, such as buying gasoline and milk.

I've even told some Americans that they buy pop in the US in litres, and they just blink at me.

Stand by a deli counter in Vancouver and wait for the Americans buying things in metric. Very, very few ask for anything in grams. " What's that in ounces " is what you hear.

Sometimes they try, and ask for 800 grams of sandwich meat. The clerks know enough to show them about 250 and ask do they want more...usually they don't

Maybe it's the cruise ship crowd we get, but it is still not unusual to hear Americans when paying a bill
" is that in American dollars ? "
It may come as a surprise to you, but when I lived in Germany (along with many, many other Americans), I - we - didn't have a very hard time ordering/buying/thinking in other types of measurements. In fact, not any harder a time than Europeans have when they visit the US and find themselves facing different measuring systems.

For that matter, when I lived there, I had to navigate various currencies and exchange rates (and borders) as well, and (gasp) drive throughout Europe without a GPS - I used a regular old map - and made out just fine. Isn't that amazing that an American would be able to do that? Shock and awe, baby, shock and awe.

Believe me, most Americans are not of the "cruise ship" mentality.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 05-29-2017 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Finland
24,128 posts, read 24,837,564 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Um, get back with me when most of those other countries have economies as big as the US. Actually who cares anyway? If the US wants to switch to the metric system, I'm sure we could do it. Heck, we may do it, it may already be "in the works" and for all I know, my grandkids will be using the metric system exclusively by the time they're grown and if so, more power to them. I already use the metric system in various aspects in my life and wayyyyyy back in time in the 1960s and 1970s we actually (this is the really cool part) LEARNED IT IN SCHOOL. It's not a hard concept or system to grasp - not even for Americans. It's just not what we currently use, based on tradition.

And I already stated that many professions use their own "universal" systems regardless of country of origin of the folks involved. But thanks for repeating that, I guess. Hell, why not.

Like I and many others have been saying on this thread, it's a matter of tradition. It has nothing to do with intelligence or the ability or lack thereof to grasp different concepts.
Ah, yes economy. One dollar is 100 cents, and 1000 dollars is 1000 dollars, or in other words, a 'k', a kilo. Yeah, I don't really know what that reminds me of.

I bet you one inch and a teaspoon of dollars that you don't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Taipei
8,871 posts, read 8,461,053 times
Reputation: 7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's true that it does sound better in imperial.


Here we still have the expression "un grand de six pieds" (meaning literally a tall man of six feet).


In France they say something like "un grand mec d'un mètre quatre vingts". It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.


Or when you're doing something fast: "à cent milles à l'heure" (a hundred miles an hour).


In metric "a cent kilomètres à l'heure"... doesn't sound as good!


Even if other than for expressions as these, we always say our speeds in kmh here.
I would hardly call six pieds or un mètre quatre vingts un grand mec though, that sounds pretty average to me, just on the higher end of average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Finland
24,128 posts, read 24,837,564 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I would hardly call six pieds or un mètre quatre vingts un grand mec though, that sounds pretty average to me, just on the higher end of average.
I think the saying comes from a time when the average height was like 170 cm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Reputation: 11652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think the saying comes from a time when the average height was like 170 cm.

I'd say so too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Reputation: 11652
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well if I was doing inches I'd go with 6.5 and drop the rest.

Easy peasy.

My point is that you get greater and easier measuring precision with mm than with inches. It's plainly obvious when you have a measuring tape that has both on it.


Your rounded 6.5 inches converts to 165 mm which is 2 mm less than my rounded measurement of 167 mm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top