Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:29 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
By the way, just try ordering deli meat via the metric system in the US, and I have a feeling you will be just as obviously out of place as "the cruise ship crowd" you're observing in Vancouver. Or maybe it would be best to just shrug and smile and say, "Hey, I'm Canadian!" Then you're likely to be smiled back at and accommodated in a friendly manner.

And good luck buying a liter of gasoline here. I mean, you CAN but you'll have to figure out what the differences are between gallons and liters. Or litres as you say.

When in Rome, do as the Romans. Honestly, it's not that hard. I've navigated through and lived in Europe for years off and on and have never had any sort of issue getting around. Like I said, hey, I did it before GPS too! And with different currencies at every border and exchange rates that fluctuated daily with each currency!

A sense of humor rather than a sense of judgmentalism is ever so much more attractive.
I know all three systems. Imperial measurements, US measurement and metric, so I would have no issues ordering anything. US gallons vs Imperial vs litres...not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 09:34 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
RPM are not always useful since there are 12 inch records playing at 45 RPM (for instance almost everything from the disco era, which led to the "maxi singles" in the 80s) and of course there are countless 7 inch records playing at 33 RPM, so they can hold more music.

45 RPM usually sounds louder / better / less compressed due to the increased space between grooves. Downside is, you can put less music on one side of the record.
I am not a collector and never really was. When I was a kid I did have vinyl records but it seemed to me that 45s were all the same size and 33s were all the same size. I never thought about them in inches.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I know all three systems. Imperial measurements, US measurement and metric, so I would have no issues ordering anything. US gallons vs Imperial vs litres...not an issue.
Good point that there are actually three systems, with the US measurements being a variant on the British Imperial.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Good point that there are actually three systems, with the US measurements being a variant on the British Imperial.
Yes, and one VERY important thing to note is the pint A US pint is 16 us oz, an imperial pint is 20 imperial oz.
Remaining because of beer.

The only " legal " imperial measurement left in Canada.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,852,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, actually I do. Nice deflection though.

Like I have been saying, the metric system is super easy to grasp - it doesn't take a genius or any sort of superiority to do so - but it's just a matter of history and tradition and that's why we have these other systems of measurement around the world. I think they will all slowly fade and we'll eventually be on one system of measurement worldwide and when that happens I'll be fine with that too, if I'm around. Meanwhile, it's easier for me to go with what's common in my country - like everyone else does, including you.
Never disputed this.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, and one VERY important thing to note is the pint A US pint is 16 us oz, an imperial pint is 20 imperial oz.
Remaining because of beer.

The only " legal " imperial measurement left in Canada.
So we get ripped off when we order a pint of beer in the States?

Old 05-30-2017, 02:41 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,521,794 times
Working as a machinist for years caused me to question why on earth we stuck to inches and fractions when we reverted to units of tens/hundreds/thousands after getting into our usual range of tolerances for building machinery expected to fit together and run smoothly.

Once you get down to machining under an inch you're now dealing with an inch broken into units of thousandths of an inch or even smaller units of one ten-thousandths of an inch. Saying one tenth to another machinist when discussing tolerances would never be confused as one tenth of an inch but rather universally understood as one ten-thousandths of an inch.

Trivia nonsense none of you desired to know but I feel is my duty to bore the heck out of you with nonetheless!

PS: The normal healthy human hair is usually 2.5 thousandths of an inch.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,307,655 times
Quote:
I am not a collector and never really was. When I was a kid I did have vinyl records but it seemed to me that 45s were all the same size and 33s were all the same size. I never thought about them in inches.
Yeah, most people in France used to refer either to 33 RPM or to 45RPM ( or albums and singles). I guess being a collector for many years and being interested in the punk community (where vinyl has always been prevalent) has opened my eye on various formats which have never been the norm (although the 12" 45 RPM single used to be very popular in disco and then techno / house music well into the 90s).

I mean, the size is always the same, but the duration / speed vary.

If anything "33 tours" sounds very old fashioned now, but quite funny too.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Why would that surprise me? Americans who move here adapt over time.

My point was about tourists and US tourists are lost in most cases when it comes to metric. This is not a judgement on their ability to learn, but a fact that they don't use metric in their every day lives for the most part.

I think you are being a bit sensitive and taking the lack of metric knowledge for the average American and turning that into somehow being mentally deficient.

Quite the leap.
Based on not just this conversation but others as well.

My point stands - take someone who is unfamiliar with the imperial system and let them try their tourist hand in that system - I'm pretty sure you will see the same results. The reason most Americans aren't as proficient in the metric system as Europeans is simple - we're not raised on it. And most Europeans aren't raised on the imperial system. That's it. It's not rocket science, and for that matter, neither is the metric system.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
So we get ripped off when we order a pint of beer in the States?
No. When you are in the US, you get a US pint. You get exactly what you ordered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World