Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:02 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
"Burgh" is an old-fashioned name for an autonomous city in Scotland and Northern England, I know of a place called Jedburgh in Scotland, any other examples?
There's Sedbergh in Cumbria.

Plus hundreds of places called "-town" if we're counting those, my own town Skipton is just a contraction of "sheep-town" - you can guess what the traditional industry here was.

Now I think of it, eastern England in particular is full of places ending in -by, -sted/-stead etc, also meaning town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 09:06 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
There's Sedbergh in Cumbria.

Plus hundreds of places called "-town" if we're counting those, my own town Skipton is just a contraction of "sheep-town" - you can guess what the traditional industry here was.

Now I think of it, eastern England in particular is full of places ending in -by, -sted/-stead etc, also meaning town.
There's a lot of old Anglo-Saxon terms that are atatched to the end of place names, ton, ham, shire, etc.

I believe that "Ham" means village. So somewhere like Birmingham originally started out as a small Anglo-Saxon village.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:24 AM

321 posts, read 400,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
In southern Italy in particular, there are municipalities whose name end with "-poli", from the Greek polis. For example, Monopoli.
Yes because southern Italy was once the thriving Magna Graecia, and BTW you forgot to mention the most important of those "-poli" ending cities: Napoli, which originally was Neapolis i.e. New City.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:45 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
New York City would be another one. I think in NYCs case it's to distinguish it from New York State.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:59 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Can anyone tell me why Kaapstad is translated to Cape Town in the English language?
Stad = City.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Can anyone tell me why Kaapstad is translated to Cape Town in the English language?
Stad = City.
It's probably not a direct translation. Perhaps the English and Dutch just had separate names for it?

Old 05-20-2017, 01:12 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbury View Post
Yes because southern Italy was once the thriving Magna Graecia, and BTW you forgot to mention the most important of those "-poli" ending cities: Napoli, which originally was Neapolis i.e. New City.
I didn't thought about that, my mistake.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Stad = City.
The ancient word Stad in Dutch or German meant town, those towns grew into cities. English borrowed from the German Stad to mean city or state, as in the German concept of city-state in medieval times (Berlin, Hamburg, Bremen). Cape Town functioned as a city-state from its founding in 1662 until the redrawing the political lines of modern South Africa into provinces.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:34 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
New York City would be another one. I think in NYCs case it's to distinguish it from New York State.
It's to distinguish it only when it's needed. The city's actual name is really just New York like the state and you address it as New York, New York.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's to distinguish it only when it's needed.
It's more complicated than that. Here in Texas there are specific laws concerning incorporating municipalities, and how they function. I live in the "City of Austin", I grew up in the "Village of Rollingwood".

Here is a short overview of the legal statutes in Texas, note section Sec. 5.902.

LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE CHAPTER 5. TYPES OF MUNICIPALITIES IN GENERAL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World