Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:02 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,384,794 times

Advertisements

Being gay/minority is not safe anywhere these days. Yes there might be cities where they are more accepted by that doesn't mean safe. Accepted is not equal safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 09:17 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,733,559 times
The Mastercard figures are misleading because it takes into account domestic arrivals of international visitors.

Therefore countries that are centralised with one major city and essentially one main international airport, has a weighted advantage. Also countries with limited or no direct domestic routes between secondary cities have a weighted advantage as you have to travel via the capital (or major) city.

For example:

1. To go to Thailand I can only fly into Bangkok as a traveller outside of the South-East Asian region, despite Bangkok not being my final destination.

2. Domestic air travel in centralised countries such as Peru mean if you want to go from one secondary city to the next on the tourist trail, you're almost always going to have to fly via the capital (major) city airport. So say I fly into Lima but my final destination is Cusco, I'll then have to fly to Lima again to got to Huaraz or Iquitos or Trujillo, which means I could be stopping over at Lima airport 3-4 times. Mastercard tallies this up as 3-4 international arrivals.

Countries like the US and even the UK have several international arrival options and good inter-city routes that bypass New York or London completely. For example you can fly direct to Manchester from as far flung a Hong Kong, Doha and Atlanta or Edinburgh from New York, Istanbul and Abu Dhabi. From Edinburgh I can then get a flight to Bristol or Southampton without even having to set foot in London. This I imagine is also true of Shanghai, you can easily bypass the city for domestic travel as an international tourist.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,951 times
Very impressive showing by Seoul. I wonder how much of this is due to regional Chinese tourism.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:21 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,988,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperorhirohito View Post
Have you ever been to those Asian cities? There are tons of tourists from all over the world. I see how you would think that if you live in the US. Most Americans go to South America or Europe for vacation because they are closer.
Well I have not noticed a lot of American travelers to Asian cities compared to British, Germans and Dutch people.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:17 AM

417 posts, read 445,813 times
Cool, I have been to 5 of the top 10. It's nice to see Bangkok on top, it's an amazing city.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:46 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
They're into the top20

However, i don't trust MasterCard too much. Euromonitor is a better source for tourist numbers IMO.
NY looks very lonely on that map

Old 06-12-2017, 05:18 AM

4 posts, read 2,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I don't mind living in Japan/Thailand or even Taiwan
Yeah seriously. I have lived in both western and eastern world. Now I currently live in the USA. I will choose Asian cities over western cities any day. I love the pace of life in Asian cities such as Singapore, Hongkong and Tokyo. Even, the pace of life in NYC wouldn't compare to those cities above. I just love being surrounded by people and tall buildings. European cities like Amsterdam, or smaller American cities seem like a horrible place for a young and ambitious city person like me.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well I have not noticed a lot of American travelers to Asian cities compared to British, Germans and Dutch people.
That's because there are way more Americans. ~300 millions of them. Statistically you would see more of them than dutch people for example.

However, everytime I ask my American friends where they go for summer vacation, almost all of them will say places like "Cancun" or somewhere else in South America.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperorhirohito View Post
That's because there are way more Americans. ~300 millions of them. Statistically you would see more of them than dutch people for example.

However, everytime I ask my American friends where they go for summer vacation, almost all of them will say places like "Cancun" or somewhere else in South America.
Ops I thought you said "I have", then you just proved the validity of my argument.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:18 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 15 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,928,409 times
Undeniable glamour of Thailand is way overblown with that much focus on surrounding attention. Rather switch to Vietnam for now on. Hidden background sources to decipher for exactly why Bangkok Thailand is this extremely popular. News media discovery or elsewhere to explain further.

Very Bizarre claims with Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Istanbul, Seoul reaching these quantifiable measures. Only Paris or London in all of mainland Europe is such a strange mystery for earlier version of the original post. Failing to omit Barcelona, Madrid, Berlin, Amsterdam, Brussels, Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Milan, Rome, Naples, Geneva, Zurich, Munich, Lisbon. Isolation of New York City far away is endless basic reasoning to drop the actual numbers down.

Alternative records display another tourist flow picture back into the year 2015: The 15 Most Visited Cities in the World 2015 - EscapeHere

1. London UK 2. Bangkok Thailand 3. Paris France 4. Dubai UAE 5. Istanbul Turkey 6. New York City USA 7. Singapore 8. Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 9. Seoul South Korea 10. Hong Kong China 11. Tokyo Japan 12. Barcelona Spain 13. Amsterdam Netherlands 14. Rome Italy 15. Milan Italy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World