Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:30 PM

70 posts, read 119,083 times

Advertisements

I know they don't come from eastern Europe, and I'm guessing there not from Europe either? (guessing). I mean they migrated into Europe I'm guessing, but where do they originate from? and what is there ethnic composition made of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 PM

62,073 posts, read 87,781,978 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jews

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...shkenazi-Jews/

Old 05-30-2017, 01:22 AM

4,432 posts, read 7,001,854 times
Well from what is Palestine/ISrael. Even 2000 years ago there were more Jews that lived outside Palestine than inside it. Yet Roman wars against that region further removed more Jews from that region, and a lot of them settled throughout the Roman empire. Jews who settled in areas what is known as Germany did develop a language which is Yiddish and is a German dialect, and that language did spread among Jewish communities throughout much of Europe, (Except for Southern Europe, where the Jewish people there spoke an Spanish dialect). With that they are known as Ashkenzi Jews.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,556,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmadness77 View Post
I know they don't come from eastern Europe, and I'm guessing there not from Europe either? (guessing). I mean they migrated into Europe I'm guessing, but where do they originate from? and what is there ethnic composition made of?
As the other poster said, the origin of the community is the Jewish Diaspora in the parts of the Roman Empire that bordered or were in Central Europe, so originally they came from Israel. That said, it's not right to say they aren't also originating in Eastern Europe. If you compare a group of Ashkenazi Jews to Jews from another area of the world, you can see that they look visibly different. That's because you don't spend 2000 years in a region and remain completely endogamous the entire time, so all Ashkenazi Jews at this point have native European ancestors in the family tree.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:26 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,869,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenmadness77 View Post
You could ask in the Jewish part of the forum

Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,448,558 times
This is a weird question. It is pretty common knowledge in the West that the Jews were an ethno-religious group originating in ancient Israel, hence creation of the modern state of Israel and the whole Zionism thing.

Since Ashkenazim are Jews in central and eastern Europe, it is safe to say that they have roots in the Middle East and some central and eastern European admixture in the intervening centuries.

The wikipedia article that elnina linked has a very clear breakdown of the genetic studies analyzing the Ashkenzi population.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:37 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,510,248 times
They mostly originate from what is now Germany, more precisely along the Rhine. Speyer, Worms and Mainz were important Ashkenazi cities in the Middle Ages. Further back in time they weren't Ashkenazi Jews by definition.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,847,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
You could ask in the Jewish part of the forum
Advise to wait until 6/2 to do so since it is now a Jewish holiday called Shavuot. In the religion related forum one may see it as a loaded question, so the responses may be very limited.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:58 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,847,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is a weird question. It is pretty common knowledge in the West that the Jews were an ethno-religious group originating in ancient Israel, hence creation of the modern state of Israel and the whole Zionism thing.

Since Ashkenazim are Jews in central and eastern Europe, it is safe to say that they have roots in the Middle East and some central and eastern European admixture in the intervening centuries.

The wikipedia article that elnina linked has a very clear breakdown of the genetic studies analyzing the Ashkenzi population.
Many of us who are not Ashkenazi have been in Israel (under it's numerous names) for uncountable generations before the "Zionism thing" came into existence.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:13 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,049,265 times
I may be wrong but your question sounds as hint that they're "too white to be Jewish". Speaking of which look at Lebanon, they're just above Israel but look as white as Serbs, Bulgarians, even whiter. Israel...it's Ashkenazi population definitly makes it the whitest looking country in ME yet it doesn't come as a big shocker to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World