Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:19 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
i disagree from Buenos Aires to Mendoza( gateway to the Andes) despite the distance the road is pretty good. Same with the trip from Buenos Aires to Bariloche . For me difficult to get to means logistically speaking; bad roads, no service, lacks of hotels, dangerous etc etc etc...only distance in miles doesn't count
But it's a PITA to get from Buenos Aires to Mendoza. It's either an expensive plane ride, or 11-12 hour bus ride. Definitely not very accessible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 01:22 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
USA is too urbanized, the many parts of it. Now it has natural beauty, but if you're in its large cities you gotta drive for some time to get there. Some would even fly.

Australia is a better example. If you're in any of its major cities, you can even walk to a natural environment. Every suburb has large urban parks and bushland.

Last edited by Ethereal; 06-18-2017 at 01:31 AM..

Old 06-18-2017, 03:31 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
i disagree from Buenos Aires to Mendoza( gateway to the Andes) despite the distance the road is pretty good. Same with the trip from Buenos Aires to Bariloche . For me difficult to get to means logistically speaking; bad roads, no service, lacks of hotels, dangerous etc etc etc...only distance in miles doesn't count
Is it? It's a single lane country road most of the way. https://goo.gl/maps/tXXN4wv3B3E2

This beside it being so flat, where to develop better infrastructure is so much easier.

I think distance, expense, direct flight routes and time are factors of accessibility, maybe less so than security/logistics but still factors none-the-less.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:18 AM

I've just been looking at the road infrastructure of Argentina and I'm actually quite shocked. Even the roads between the three main cities aren't that great. Ok at least they're dual carriageways but they don't look in the best state. Forget about the route between the capital and the 4th city which I've just shown looks like a country lane.

By contrast countries like Ecuador with geography twice as tough as the Alps and Colombia 5 x worse than the Alps have better road infrastructure...

Ecuador: https://goo.gl/maps/dY22v775Shk

Colombia: https://goo.gl/maps/sorKHM7adeS2

Ecuador in particular is very impressive for such a small country and blows countries like Argentina out of the water in roads. Colombia has more mountain ranges to contend with than Ecuador which makes it more difficult but does have the best Air connectivity and cheapest airfares on the continent, I've discovered even above countries like Canada.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Liechtenstein has one "natural beauty" and you are constantly within it. Should it win the "accessibility" prize?

Old 06-18-2017, 06:47 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
No big country has accessible beauty, they are just too big. Even in those with proper infrastructure you'd still have to drive for like 9 hours just to get to somewhere.

Japan is really good. The infrastructure is excellent and there's abundance of well-preserved nature, and it's not too big. Most European countries are really good too, except for those that have like no or boring ass nature, i.e. the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark etc. (the flat ones)

Old 06-18-2017, 10:57 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,764 times
The typical latinamerican trolls bashing Argentina, some things never change...The only major problem of accesibility in Arg is the expensive flights, a thing that will start to change soon with the arrive of the low cost companies.
The south of Chile is the ephitome of inaccesibility, where the land break down in thousand of fjord islands. Only a blatant troll would call that 'accesible'. Chileans have to cross to Arg to reach the far south of their own country.
And here our dear PuebloFuerte of course cherrypicking. He post a link of a highway near Bogota, the same highways you find near Buenos Aires. That same highway (the 50th) ends quickly and of course it doesn't cover all the way to Medellín, whereas BA, Rosario and Cordoba (the three major cities) are connected with dual carriageways. So, in other words: a lie.
And about Ecuador, don't get me wrong: they have done a great job on roads, but the country is ten times smaller than Arg and therefore way easier to cover it all with dual carriageways.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:59 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,377 times
Some of you guys are totally missing the point...Complaining about how far and tortuous is a drive from BA to Mendoza...Give me a brake, try driving in the Himalaias, or Peru, Bolivia or any of the countries i listed....gravel roads, sometimes not even a road per say, no hotels, or gas stations, places to eat? forget about it. You guys are comparing oranges to apples.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:12 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
The typical latinamerican trolls bashing Argentina, some things never change...The only major problem of accesibility in Arg is the expensive flights, a thing that will start to change soon with the arrive of the low cost companies.
The south of Chile is the ephitome of inaccesibility, where the land break down in thousand of fjord islands. Only a blatant troll would call that 'accesible'. Chileans have to cross to Arg to reach the far south of their own country.
And here our dear PuebloFuerte of course cherrypicking. He post a link of a highway near Bogota, the same highways you find near Buenos Aires. That same highway (the 50th) ends quickly and of course it doesn't cover all the way to Medellín, whereas BA, Rosario and Cordoba (the three major cities) are connected with dual carriageways. So, in other words: a lie.
And about Ecuador, don't get me wrong: they have done a great job on roads, but the country is ten times smaller than Arg and therefore way easier to cover it all with dual carriageways.
Totally agree. Argentina and Chile has amazing road compared to other South American countries.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Oh please here comes the defensive Argentinean who can't take any criticism and jumps up as soon as he's hurt by the truth.

google street view is very out of date. Nearly the whole trajectory from Bogota to Medellin has a dual carriageway now, the only bit missing is El Santuario - Puerto Triunfo but even that's underway.

Why don't you place one mountain range over 5km high between Buenos Aires and Rosario and another mountain range also over 5km high between Rosario and Cordoba and yet another mountain range 4km high between Cordoba and Mendoza making sure the mighty river valleys in between go down to nearish sea level (300-500m) and see how easy it is to connect the main cities. Out of the top 10 longest tunnels in South America 8 will be found in Colombia, no other country has to contend with that type of topographic adversity to connect its main cities. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:...noam%C3%A9rica

Colombia Relieve by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

48 Tuneles loboguerrerocopia by Ministerio de Transporte, on Flickr

Not to mention Bogota to Barranquilla is a complete dual carriageway which is equidistant to Buenos Aires - San Luis and unlike Argentina its through mountainous land (albeit admittedly predominantly through the river valley which makes it easier although also brings its own problems). What about the complete dual carriageway between Cali and Manizales?

The fact of the matter is, is that Argentina has relatively poor road infrastructure especially considering most of its terrain is flat. Add to that its lacking domestic air travel and you have relative inaccessibility.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 06-18-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World