Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 02:37 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
So we're allowed to say positive things about a place, but negatives are forbidden?

Technically history is the record of recorded events. The natives had no writing system, therefore the USA's recorded history began when the Europeans arrived. And somewhere like Cliff Palace, although very interesting. Hardly compares with what can be found throughout the rest of the world. Even in Mexico.

For example, although in the UK we have Stonehenge, it is considered prehistory since all we have to go by is archaeology and speculation. Technically our history began when Julius Caesar invaded the island in 55BC and recorded what happened.
Yet Stonehenge is one of the most popular if not the most popular historical sites in the entire UK. I wouldn't want to make the claim that the lack of historical documentation about Stonehenge somehow deters from its historical importance, interest or tourist appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 03:46 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Yet Stonehenge is one of the most popular if not the most popular historical sites in the entire UK. I wouldn't want to make the claim that the lack of historical documentation about Stonehenge somehow deters from its historical importance, interest or tourist appeal.
Possibly places like the Tower of London are more popular due to their location.

I am playing semantics with the term history. People visit Stonehenge because it's a curiosity, nobody really knows its purpose or how it was built. But people visit other places due to their association with recorded historical events. In the Tower of London, for example, many tourists like to visit to see the exact places where famous historical figures were imprisoned or executed.

Likewise with the Colosseum in Rome, we know a great deal about it. We know who built it, why they built it, and even how it was financed. We also know that the Emperor's regularly attended the gladiatorial games, one even participated. So when you go there you're not only seeing a very impressive pice of ancient engineering, you are walking in the footsteps of major historical figures.

That's what appeals to me. And it does to many people in America, there's an actual tourism market that caters to people visiting the spot where Kennedy was assassinated.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:00 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
... So when you go there you're not only seeing a very impressive pice of ancient engineering, you are walking in the footsteps of major historical figures....
This. Maybe I'm a bit nerdy in this regard, but walking through Florence or Kyoto feels special to me. Knowing that shoes much larger than mine walked there before me is really humbling. So is the Grand Canyon, but in a different kind of way.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:29 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
I love America. Not fussed on the Dakotas though.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
I have friends from the UK, Germany, and Italy visit the US as often as they can when they have the rest of Europe at their doorstop. I love living here in the the US, don't get me wrong, but don't understand the appeal from Europeans. Most of them love our national parks, variation of food, friendliness, huge roads/SUVS/hotel rooms, natural beauty, and especially New York City. My British friends can't shut UP about it LOL. NYC is awesome but I wouldn't want to spend all that vacation time and money on a yearly trip there.

Also from what I'm told our beaches completely blow Europe's out of the water. This much has been said by both tourists and EU friends who describe them as small, overcrowded, and often "rocky". I'm told that our shopping malls are also far more superior. I saw this first hand in Paris. Apparently jeans are popular here. When some of them visit the first thing they do is grab some honest to God Mexican food. I know that not everyone will have the best of times here but I sure hope so.
I personally find American cities fascinating, the language is also a draw for me. Not forgetting the Steakhouses.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:35 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
I personally find American cities fascinating, the language is also a draw for me. Not forgetting the Steakhouses.
You would love Chicago, if you haven't been already.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
I have friends from the UK, Germany, and Italy visit the US as often as they can when they have the rest of Europe at their doorstop. I love living here in the the US, don't get me wrong, but don't understand the appeal from Europeans. Most of them love our national parks, variation of food, friendliness, huge roads/SUVS/hotel rooms, natural beauty, and especially New York City. My British friends can't shut UP about it LOL. NYC is awesome but I wouldn't want to spend all that vacation time and money on a yearly trip there.

Also from what I'm told our beaches completely blow Europe's out of the water. This much has been said by both tourists and EU friends who describe them as small, overcrowded, and often "rocky". I'm told that our shopping malls are also far more superior. I saw this first hand in Paris. Apparently jeans are popular here. When some of them visit the first thing they do is grab some honest to God Mexican food. I know that not everyone will have the best of times here but I sure hope so.

^ I'm sorry, but this made me laugh so hard!.

BTW I live in New Mexico...

Old 06-21-2017, 05:44 PM

146 posts, read 174,367 times
Well..I didn't love living in the Southern US during my childhood years but maybe that's because I wasn't white and my family didn't make attempts to fit in.

After I moved out I've not gone back. I'd prefer visiting California, Pacific Northwest or the Northeast but I prefer vacations to England and France.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:48 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
^ I'm sorry, but this made me laugh so hard!.

BTW I live in New Mexico...
I'd hate to imagine life without New Mexican food. If I ever left I'd be shipping the chiles back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdLylD0tBg

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-21-2017 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
You would love Chicago, if you haven't been already.
I'm trying to go but can't find a way to fit it in. It's out of the way so going the whole way to Chicago for a few days is a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World