Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2017, 07:39 AM
 
3,326 posts, read 2,622,407 times
Reputation: 629

Advertisements

I would like to visit the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2017, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Placitas, New Mexico
2,304 posts, read 2,964,564 times
Reputation: 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
I would like to visit the US.

You will find it fascinating. Many things to like and some you won't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Someone who's obsessed with old history wouldn't find it particularly interesting.

The US is vast and diverse, but that is one of its major shortcomings. Although it's to be expected from such a young country.
I like history and old buildings as well and while it's not Europe, the U.S. is not uninteresting in this respect. It's packed a lot of history into the handful of centuries it's existed as a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 11:04 AM
 
6,112 posts, read 3,928,235 times
Reputation: 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I like history and old buildings as well and while it's not Europe, the U.S. is not uninteresting in this respect. It's packed a lot of history into the handful of centuries it's existed as a country.
I'm not saying it's completely devoid of interesting historical sites, I'm just saying that it comes up short when compared to other places. Even here I can do a full circuit around the city centre on top of Medieval/Roman city walls, or look over a valley from a large Medieval castle. Nowhere in the US has anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Canada
14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Reputation: 34871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I'm not saying it's completely devoid of interesting historical sites, I'm just saying that it comes up short when compared to other places. Even here I can do a full circuit around the city centre on top of Medieval/Roman city walls, or look over a valley from a large Medieval castle. Nowhere in the US has anything like that.
I interpret what you're saying is that it comes up short for YOU. What you perceive as a shortcoming is just your own personal perspective because of YOUR personal interests in an abundance of history and ancient structures. That doesn't mean that it would come up as a shortcoming for other people with different interests from your own.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 12:21 PM
 
6,112 posts, read 3,928,235 times
Reputation: 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I interpret what you're saying is that it comes up short for YOU. What you perceive as a shortcoming is just your own personal perspective because of YOUR personal interests in an abundance of history and ancient structures. That doesn't mean that it would come up as a shortcoming for other people with different interests from your own.


.
Well yes, I'm sharing a personal opinion. Weird concept I know, but it is the entire purpose of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
Reputation: 39038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I'm not saying it's completely devoid of interesting historical sites, I'm just saying that it comes up short when compared to other places. Even here I can do a full circuit around the city centre on top of Medieval/Roman city walls, or look over a valley from a large Medieval castle. Nowhere in the US has anything like that.
Europe and Britain may have medieval and roman monuments and architecture, but is entirely lacking in British and Dutch colonial cities and settlements, not to mention Native American ruins and villages. By which I mean It is just a different history, and a younger one, not a lack of one.

I grew up in southern New York and there is a lot of History, but it is all admittedly restricted to the 17th century and later. In New York 300 years is considered 'old'. Nonetheless, that comparatively young history is meaningful and certainly conveys a sense of place and the events which shape the current world, which is the actual value of history, not merely age. Otherwise, why look at a 17th century Elizabethan fortification when there is a Roman wall just down the road? Why would anyone visit WWII monuments for that matter? They commemorate events in my own father's lifetime!

Now that said, being a medievalist and to some degree a Classicist myself, I am on the same page with you, Razza, as far as what really fascinates me, but it is really horses for courses in terms of the value put on history.

And by all means, if American history doesn't interest you, there are certainly other attractions in America. There are plenty of reasons to not be interested in America, but the youth of its Eurocentric history should not be a deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Reputation: 11937
Just realized I type " Knox " instead of " Knott's " for Knott's Berry Farm LOL Hey, it's been awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Canada
14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Reputation: 34871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Well yes, I'm sharing a personal opinion. Weird concept I know, but it is the entire purpose of this thread.

Well yes, but you've been pretty insistent about sharing the same personal opinion several times in this one thread already. So it seemed to me that you felt that your opinion about what is and isn't a shortcoming to you is more important and needs more recognition and acceptance than anyone else's opinions. It's really not all that important to justify belabouring the point.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2017, 03:02 PM
 
6,112 posts, read 3,928,235 times
Reputation: 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Europe and Britain may have medieval and roman monuments and architecture, but is entirely lacking in British and Dutch colonial cities and settlements, not to mention Native American ruins and villages. By which I mean It is just a different history, and a younger one, not a lack of one.

I grew up in southern New York and there is a lot of History, but it is all admittedly restricted to the 17th century and later. In New York 300 years is considered 'old'. Nonetheless, that comparatively young history is meaningful and certainly conveys a sense of place and the events which shape the current world, which is the actual value of history, not merely age. Otherwise, why look at a 17th century Elizabethan fortification when there is a Roman wall just down the road? Why would anyone visit WWII monuments for that matter? They commemorate events in my own father's lifetime!

Now that said, being a medievalist and to some degree a Classicist myself, I am on the same page with you, Razza, as far as what really fascinates me, but it is really horses for courses in terms of the value put on history.

And by all means, if American history doesn't interest you, there are certainly other attractions in America. There are plenty of reasons to not be interested in America, but the youth of its Eurocentric history should not be a deal breaker.
People seem to be taking this the wrong way, so to clarify: I've stated that I love America, and this is the only significant shortcoming I can think of in terms of tourism. It's a negative, but certainly not a deal-breaker for me.

And yes, some of your history does interest me, which is why I elected to study a course on it University. But I'd just prefer to visit somewhere like Greece or Italy if history was what I was primarily interested in, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top