Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:03 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,951,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well yes, but you've been pretty insistent about sharing the same personal opinion several times in this one thread already. So it seemed to me that you felt that your opinion about what is and isn't a shortcoming to you is more important and needs more recognition and acceptance than anyone else's opinions. It's really not all that important to justify belabouring the point.

Read my previous comment. The only reason I keep mentioning it is because people keep responding to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 05:53 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,030,721 times
I love the United States. It is a pretty good country, not my first choice (Australia) or even second (United Kingdom) or third (Japan) choice for that matter but I love the place. It would be somewhere in my Top 5.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:00 AM

27,849 posts, read 28,980,029 times
I do agree about the relative lack of old history in the U.S. I can see how some people may find that off-putting. But at least there is architecture in some U.S. cities that is inspired by ancient architecture - neo-classical, Greek revival and such.

It is what it is - the New World. You can't have everything.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:05 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,007,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I'm not saying it's completely devoid of interesting historical sites, I'm just saying that it comes up short when compared to other places. Even here I can do a full circuit around the city centre on top of Medieval/Roman city walls, or look over a valley from a large Medieval castle. Nowhere in the US has anything like that.
Yes, for the tourist the USA is quite limited in that respect.

Cliff Palace is about the most the country has to offer.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 06-24-2017 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-24-2017, 12:39 PM

27,849 posts, read 28,980,029 times
St. Augustine, Florida is the oldest continuously occupied city in the U.S., founded in 1565.

San Juan, Puerto Rico (a U.S. territory) was founded in 1521.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:14 PM

345 posts, read 271,558 times
Signs, stupid signs telling you not to do obvious things.
Stupid warnings treating people like if they were borderlines.
Fat black cops, scary as hell.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,472,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Anybody here visited the United States and couldn't wait to get back home?
You can't group the USA like that. It's a HUGE country. NYC is very different than Miami which is very different than LA which is very different than Denver.

Want to hate it, that's fine, but unless you have been all over this country, you really shouldn't say you hate it. I live here and I still have not seen it all yet.

Of course there are places in America I don't like but by the same token, b/c of how different each area/city/region is there are places I love as well.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,472,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I'm not saying it's completely devoid of interesting historical sites, I'm just saying that it comes up short when compared to other places. Even here I can do a full circuit around the city centre on top of Medieval/Roman city walls, or look over a valley from a large Medieval castle. Nowhere in the US has anything like that.
America is much newer country.

There are certain things in America that many places do not have. For example, out west in Red Rock Country. Where in Europe do they have that?

if America isn't to your taste, hey no sweat off my back but we're a very large country and the few parts of the country you may have seen are not indicative to us as a whole.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,390,331 times
I used to hate US and told myself not to visit the country. Blame the media, they painted the US badly with all the shootings and politics.

So yeah I have never visited US as a tourist. I came here to live and work. I'm loving it. Not the urban though but the nature. I still travel outside the country and can't wait to come back here.

Hating the US is like hating the entire Asian continent.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,390,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People who say that usually do so because they hate American politics, its meddling in other country's affairs or the shallowness of Hollywood, or something similar.

Personally, I never heard anyone hate the U.S. after visiting it. Okay, maybe once, but the person was a diehard communist.
Being a Filipino, I know a fellow who visited California/Nevada/Arizona and hated it. The reason? They rely on their relatives (who lived in the US) to tour them. Americans are known to have 2-3 jobs and they just can't take say 2 weeks out of work. They ended being stuck at home and wait til their relative is free to bring them to the nearest neighborhood park

So I always suggest, take a rental car and explore on your own, get a hotel. Don't rely on locals. Hop on a plane and go to Hawaii or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World