Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Being a Filipino, I know a fellow who visited California/Nevada/Arizona and hated it. The reason? They rely on their relatives (who lived in the US) to tour them. Americans are known to have 2-3 jobs and they just can't take say 2 weeks out of work. They ended being stuck at home and wait til their relative is free to bring them to the nearest neighborhood park

So I always suggest, take a rental car and explore on your own, get a hotel. Don't rely on locals. Hop on a plane and go to Hawaii or NYC.
I have 1 job and I get 4 weeks vacation. Where are you getting this from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:40 AM

242 posts, read 262,971 times
My bf never wanted to visit America. He never had the desire. Then he visited the states recently...he fell in love (though he couldn't wait to get out of NYC lol). But he found it so very beautiful...especially the NW and New England. He is European. Of course most of the country looks more or less the same...the suburbs, college towns etc...but we have some amazing sites!!! I loved saying 'I told you so!' the whole way back home to Europe.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:57 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
People should visit the Grand Canyon if they want to see old.

Sedimentary rock layers going back almost 2 billion years. :-)

Old 06-29-2017, 09:13 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I love it.

But I know people who hate it. A friend of mine did his first journey to the US during his student exchange to a rather conservative family somewhere around Amarillo, TX. He returned with the perception that all Americans are gun-loving bible-fanatists and doesn't want to go back. Well, some people just don't know what they miss out.

ha ha. A perfect example of making a judgement about a huge country based on a tiny set of experiences.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,886 times
Interesting thread. I grew up fascinated with the US and when I first came to visit as a teenager in early 90s it was a dream come true. I couldn't sleep the night before my flight. I loved my trip; my US relatives took me around -- to Chicago, which was love at first sight, and then to NY, which was a bit too much. A year later I moved to the US with my parents for good and, while I've always loved many things about this country, my fascination started to quickly wear off. Although I like living in the US, and I still love NY (after living here for 18 yrs and counting), nowadays I much prefer to do my traveling abroad. I feel like I could go back to Europe over and over again and discover something new and amazing every time. Traveling in the US usually bores me to pieces. Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" kinda thing, I don't know.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Although I like living in the US, and I still love NY (after living here for 18 yrs and counting), nowadays I much prefer to do my traveling abroad.
Europe is fascinating, but it is also 51 countries instead of just 1.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The US is vast, so people might prefer one part to another, but I think the word hate is a bit strong, indeed it's all down to personal preference.

Some people don't like cities and probably wouldn't enjoy NYC, but would enjoy the vast beautiful rural areas and National Parks and vice versa.

Geographically America is stunning, and I don't think anyone can argue with that.
Yes. Most visitors who hated their trip probably went to a wrong place at a wrong time.

There are plenty of creepy places in the U.S, such as Newark,NJ.

I haven't met anyone who doesn't enjoy Yellowstone National Park. Some of them weren't that impressed, but there's no reason to hate it.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I'm not saying it's completely devoid of interesting historical sites, I'm just saying that it comes up short when compared to other places. Even here I can do a full circuit around the city centre on top of Medieval/Roman city walls, or look over a valley from a large Medieval castle. Nowhere in the US has anything like that.
The US definitely isn't Europe, and can't measure up to Europe in the same way. How the US is unique and exotic as hell is in places like the Southwest, where history goes back thousands of years, Native American cultures are strong, and archaeological sites, as well as thousand-year-old "living" (still inhabited) architectural monuments, are everywhere.

And then, there are the national parks. Yellowstone, Yosemite, the California redwoods, the rock formations of Utah. It's a big place, and there are many unique sights to see. No Roman aqueducts, but there are Meso-American ball courts and ancient monumental architecture.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:55 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Interesting thread. I grew up fascinated with the US and when I first came to visit as a teenager in early 90s it was a dream come true. I couldn't sleep the night before my flight. I loved my trip; my US relatives took me around -- to Chicago, which was love at first sight, and then to NY, which was a bit too much. A year later I moved to the US with my parents for good and, while I've always loved many things about this country, my fascination started to quickly wear off. Although I like living in the US, and I still love NY (after living here for 18 yrs and counting), nowadays I much prefer to do my traveling abroad. I feel like I could go back to Europe over and over again and discover something new and amazing every time. Traveling in the US usually bores me to pieces. Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" kinda thing, I don't know.
America is a great place to live, but it's homogeneous and boring.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:58 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

I haven't met anyone who doesn't enjoy Yellowstone National Park. Some of them weren't that impressed, but there's no reason to hate it.
This reminds me of a post made on another sub-forum here, by someone who was a tour guide or ranger at Yosemite. He was guiding a group of Europeans around, and they weren't all that impressed. He heard a German saying to a companion that the scenery wasn't much, compared to back home (the Alps). That's funny! Tourists are the same the world over; there are always those who will compare things to "back home", and find their surroundings underwhelming. But the German guy was right; we can't compare to southern Germany! Except that Europe doesn't have redwoods. I'm a huge fan, being from California, and all. But yeah, just a bunch of trees--ok. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World