Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2017, 01:54 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Reputation: 2695

Advertisements

The country smells like a loo in the cellar of an old abandoned warehouse. And if I could get past that, I would never live in a country without specific individual freedoms constitutionally guaranteed. Orwell was right...

 
Old 06-22-2017, 02:00 AM
 
3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You remind me so much of Irene, actually you are also a lot like AmoroW are you perhaps related?
ey, don't insult me, ok? I was the only one defending you in the European Weather thread.

I don't resemble amaroW in nothing, lol. He is well known for inventing and adding bazillions to anything related to the French economy. I never invented nothing on any economy. In fact he is also well known for saying that France is the richest country in the earth, the most powerful, that it can buy various times the UK and Germany with it's gold values and pieces of art, etc. You won't see me saying that. lmao

Why did you thought that for a small second? Because I said that France and the UK are very similar in economy? Well, in macroeconomy they are bud, just as in wages, quality of life, etc.
 
Old 06-22-2017, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Taipei
8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Reputation: 7414
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You remind me so much of Irene, actually you are also a lot like AmoroW are you perhaps related?
It's pretty pathetic that you consider every single critic towards Britain to be nonsensical.

Get over yourself. Some people like it, some people don't.
 
Old 06-22-2017, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
Reputation: 3761
Well, food could be an issue, and the weather is not very exciting, but then they have actual good beer and a music scene that's not ridiculous. They also have nice castles and stuff.

I could give it a try.
 
Old 06-22-2017, 03:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Great Britain
27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Reputation: 19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
Is there anywhere more disturbing to live in Europe or North America than the UK?

You couldn't pay me a million dollars to be forced to live there.

I feel like it's an overpopulated island, with near constant overcast, where there is a CCTV camera every 20 metres, and you have no real civil rights that protect freedom of speech. Heck, even buying a kitchen knife requires ID, and you can be fined and even tossed in jail for not having a TV license.

Plus you have to watch the country basically become some theocratic Islamic vassal over the next 30 years.

I feel like guys like Orwell and Huxley weren't playing around. They seemed to see something in British culture that few others did.
The UK has the same civil rights as many other European countries as laid out in the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) which was fully enshrined in to British Law in 1998.

European Convention on Human Rights - Wikipedia

You do not generally need ID to buy a kitchen knife (you must however be over 18 in order to buy a long bladed knife), not having a TV License has been decrimnilised in recent years (and you don't go to prison) and CCTV coverages has grown in a lot of countries including the US due to risks of terrorism, although CCTV Cameras are mainly used in relation to town centres and the transport system.

CCTV camera estimates halved by police - BBC News

The rise of CCTV surveillance in the US - BBC News

Britain is leaving the EU and will be taking back control of our borders however we were never part of the open border Schengen Agreement which operated in other parts of Europe, whilst in terms of muslims, our population is around 4%, so 96% of the population is not Muslim. Whilst there are a lot of very decent and increasingly westernised Muslims living in the UK.

As for Huxley and Orwell their works are currently being compared to what has occurred in the US, whilst Orwell fought on the side of the Communists in the Spanish Civil War, when he took a bullet to the throat.

My dad predicted Trump in 1985 – it's not Orwell, he warned, it's Brave New World - Guardian

Which Dystopian Novel Got It Right: Orwell's '1984' or Huxley's 'Brave New World - New York Times

From 1984 to Brave New World: six of the best books to read in read in Trumpian times - Irish Times

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-22-2017 at 04:19 AM..
 
Old 06-22-2017, 03:31 AM
 
Location: London U.K.
2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Reputation: 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
Is there anywhere more disturbing to live in Europe or North America than the UK?

You couldn't pay me a million dollars to be forced to live there.

I feel like it's an overpopulated island, with near constant overcast, where there is a CCTV camera every 20 metres, and you have no real civil rights that protect freedom of speech. Heck, even buying a kitchen knife requires ID, and you can be fined and even tossed in jail for not having a TV license.

Plus you have to watch the country basically become some theocratic Islamic vassal over the next 30 years.

I feel like guys like Orwell and Huxley weren't playing around. They seemed to see something in British culture that few others did.

This is just your opinion joey, and in the U.K. you have every right to express it.
You wouldn't live here for a million dollars, fine, that's your call, but people are hanging under trucks, sitting on axles to get here, wriggling into the nose wheel compartments of airliners, and freezing to death trying to get in here, some even jump the fence and walk through the Channel Tunnel to get here, then if they do get here, they destroy their passports, so that they cannot be deported.
Yes we have a heck of a lot of CCTV cameras, they are there to try and prevent crime, or to catch criminals who've broken the law, sure, you'll get picked up by a camera a dozen times per day walking to the store or riding public transportation, so what, you're not breaking any law are you, what do you have to worry about?
We do have freedom of speech, but not to incite hatred or threaten individuals, or spout 'hate' speech, i.e. attacking a person(s) on their ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or gender.
It is illegal to sell knives to under 18s, unless it has a folding blade of 7.62cms or less.
It IS illegal to carry, buy, or sell certain banned knives, and yes, I.D. is required to buy most knives, but when you consider the fact that knife crime has increased dramatically in recent years, it's quite right to ask to see some I.D.
The max sentence for not having a T.V. licence is £1000, no jail time.
Save for the past few days of 30c plus temps our weather is constantly crap, can't argue there, oh, and yes, we certainly have some areas that are populated predominantly by Muslims, but we'll never become an Islamic vassal in a million years.
 
Old 06-22-2017, 04:03 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Reputation: 2695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
... but we'll never become an Islamic vassal in a million years.
That's because the United States won't allow it. We're not bombing the Middle East back to the Bronze Age just for the fun of it...

By the way, your Scottish golf courses are pretty cool.
 
Old 06-22-2017, 05:35 AM
 
Location: SE UK
14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Reputation: 9813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's pretty pathetic that you consider every single critic towards Britain to be nonsensical.

Get over yourself. Some people like it, some people don't.
Irene is that you!!?
 
Old 06-22-2017, 05:40 AM
 
Location: SE UK
14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Reputation: 9813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
ey, don't insult me, ok? I was the only one defending you in the European Weather thread.

I don't resemble amaroW in nothing, lol. He is well known for inventing and adding bazillions to anything related to the French economy. I never invented nothing on any economy. In fact he is also well known for saying that France is the richest country in the earth, the most powerful, that it can buy various times the UK and Germany with it's gold values and pieces of art, etc. You won't see me saying that. lmao

Why did you thought that for a small second? Because I said that France and the UK are very similar in economy? Well, in macroeconomy they are bud, just as in wages, quality of life, etc.
Yes just like you are! You really are a lot like AmaroW.
 
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 AM
 
3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes just like you are! You really are a lot like AmaroW.
for saying that your country is not the paradise and pointing what I don't like about it you recall me on being ultra nationalist anti-UK?

Gtfo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top