Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:15 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,034,708 times

Advertisements

^ But...but according to Erdogan you're Nazi...(the rare cases whe Erdo is right).
Edit: makig a joke about the statemet that Holland are nazis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 03:18 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,034,708 times
I don't think China and India are lost cause though but they need to prove they're better than outsourcing destination, or 3d printing/solar panel factories, and improve their human and animal rights as well as censorship.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,055,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
They have everything except brains and work ethic.
This and natural resources. After oil, they don't have much going for them.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:28 PM

37,251 posts, read 39,548,524 times
China is possible, but I'm not so sure about India. China made massive structural changes to its economy which have set the stage for its current and ongrowing economic growth. The only real liabilities they have are potential political unrest, a top down power structure that means a string of particularly bad decision can go on for a while, greater desire for global recognition entangles it in costly quamires as the US has done in the last half century and its low fertility rate combined with low immigration into the country. Some combination of those to a certain extent can screw things up pretty severely.

On the other hand, since this is a comparison, the US does have the possibility of massive growth through a combination of greater productivity if it can enact policies that enable it to greatly improve the conditions of its impoverished, continued immigration, better usage of its knowledge base in industry, and the growth of various industries that may return as the cost of living and prevailing wages along with political issues within China make the US relatively more attractive.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,512,979 times
I believe that history repeats itself and China is historically a super power. It is well on the way to returning to that status. Japan is also a historic power that is at the opposite stage of China: Japan was peaked and matured and has very high labor costs. India should continue to improve per capita GDP but I don't see them becoming as advanced as East Asia. West Europe will remain affluent but will see declining GDP due to falling population. It could also fall back into competing fiefdoms as the EU will collapse if the immigration / terrorism crisis isn't dealt with better. I think Nigeria (oil money, population boom) has potential to become the China of Africa. I think we are close to seeing factory jobs leaving China for demographically booming Africa.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,090,606 times
You guys are forgetting the sheer power of a **** ton of people. Even ignoring a country was poor, if you have a decent economy and even 5% of your population making upper middle class money, that is 70 million wealthy people (in India). More wealthy people than 90% of countries, that alone holds power. India even its rate of growth slows isn't destined to be a superpower. I can name dozens of nations in Africa better than Nigeria, yet Nigeria is the most looked upon country in Africa. That is because even with one or two percent of people wealthy that is more than any others African country in existence even ones that are well developed, like Algeria and Tunisia. Their are very few subsaharan African cities like Abuja, just because in Nigeria their are enough wealthy people to make a large city of relatively well off people.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:30 PM

779 posts, read 597,577 times
I have my doubts about India, it's doesn't even have a single market, meaning you have to pay tax for getting goods across county/state/province, what ever they have there, borders.

+ 50% of the population shi*s in the open.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:40 PM

37,251 posts, read 39,548,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I believe that history repeats itself and China is historically a super power. It is well on the way to returning to that status. Japan is also a historic power that is at the opposite stage of China: Japan was peaked and matured and has very high labor costs. India should continue to improve per capita GDP but I don't see them becoming as advanced as East Asia. West Europe will remain affluent but will see declining GDP due to falling population. It could also fall back into competing fiefdoms as the EU will collapse if the immigration / terrorism crisis isn't dealt with better. I think Nigeria (oil money, population boom) has potential to become the China of Africa. I think we are close to seeing factory jobs leaving China for demographically booming Africa.
Europe has a pretty enviable position in a lot of ways, so I don't think a decline is necessarily in the cards.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:43 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,989,292 times
Europe's economy has been outpacing America's the last one year (2016) and the Eurozone's outlook going into the immediate future is better than that of America's as it has already started outpacing America in 2017 as well:

Euro zone economy outperforms U.S. with robust start to year | Reuters

Eurozone is expected to have the more robust 2018, 2019, and 2020 than compared to America. So there is that.

I posted this in another thread but China's GDP PPP surpassed the United States in 2013 and has since grown the gap as well.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,774,467 times
The literacy rate of China is about 95%, and near 100% among young people. For India, it is only 74%.
They do not have the same potential in near future, on average.

However, India has a huge social diversity/bifurcation, so it can still achieve something on the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World