Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:06 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
As a side note, China has more and more Caucasian-like actresses in recent years. They are mostly Uyghurs e.g. Dilraba Dilmurat and Coulee Nazha.
googled them, they look mostly Asian or 50-50 Asian-White.
I was talking about Deepika, Priyanka Chopra or Asin btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 11:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
googled them, they look mostly Asian or 50-50 Asian-White.
I was talking about Deepika, Priyanka Chopra or Asin btw.
They are not Caucasian, just more Caucasian-like.
Pure Caucasian looking actresses have few roles to play in Chinese TV programs or movies. East Asian audience do not like pure western look either.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:49 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
With how polarized the political scene is now I wouldn't be surprised, it seems like the only thing that will reunite the people at this point is some sort of invasion from an external enemy.
biggest threat facing the usa is from itself , it has no external threat whatsoever , its that powerful , its as if powerful interests conspire to convince americans that things are terrible

america leads in every single and important area globally , i prefer living in europe but no individual country will come close for centuries

Old 06-24-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I think despite the civil unrest because of politics US has the advantage that China, India does not and that is R&D, yes China is developing things on their own( probably by reverse engineering things from the west) but the US holds too much knowledge under their belt
china is the worlds factory ( often of cheap goods ) , its internal consumer market is still in its infancy compared to western europe and the usa , china has a long process of change to go through before it is at americas level , talk of it passing out the usa is so silly as to be a bad joke

Old 06-24-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
china is the worlds factory ( often of cheap goods ) , its internal consumer market is still in its infancy compared to western europe and the usa , china has a long process of change to go through before it is at americas level , talk of it passing out the usa is so silly as to be a bad joke
Infancy is a little too exaggerating. China is by far the biggest consumer of smart phones, cars etc.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:37 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't understand why you think this. Japan and Korea can be eliminated simply because of the population size (since this is about total GDP, not GDP per capita). India has as large and what will almost certainly be a larger population than China, but has some pretty severe issues to deal with. China certainly has more people in IT as a broader category than India does, the domestic media industry of China is large enough to support a massive industry and will likely expand into other markets, and the organized crime in India is worse in that it's rampant and in many ways destructively disorganized. In addition to that, India has a massive pollution problem that makes China's issues look like the set of the Sound of Music and currently has a far lower GDP per capita, literacy rate, and college education rate. It also has incredible inequity, unstable neighbors, and a lot of in-fighting among Indian states. If India were able to do a peaceable union with what are now Pakistan and Bangladesh, then this would be a straightforward discussion, but that is certainly not what happened.
Agree. India is just too disorganized. Have you seen it's cities...chaos

I also don't get it when the other poster mentioned asian brain power...
both China and India are in Asia

Both have very smart people ....Indians imo tend to be more aggressive and
are more risk takers....that might work in their favour.

Last edited by BMI; 06-24-2017 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-24-2017, 03:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Europe's economy has been outpacing America's the last one year (2016) and the Eurozone's outlook going into the immediate future is better than that of America's as it has already started outpacing America in 2017 as well:

Euro zone economy outperforms U.S. with robust start to year | Reuters

Eurozone is expected to have the more robust 2018, 2019, and 2020 than compared to America. So there is that.

I posted this in another thread but China's GDP PPP surpassed the United States in 2013 and has since grown the gap as well.
The ECB is trashing the euro through quantitative easing, same as the US was doing after the recession. OTH, the Fed is now in tightening mode. The US is also angling away from the economic chokehold that was Obama into a more growth oriented environment. The next couple of years could be very interesting if the Republicans in Congress stop tripping over their own feet.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
A LOT can happen in 3 decades. China will be first, and I think that is mostly indisputable. How far they are ahead is unknowable. The US will be second, the US isn't going to fracture, I would venture to guess we have 51 states (Puerto Rico) by 2050. I think most of the economic downturns in the US will have turned around. US exports have been on the rise for a few years and our economy is doing pretty good despite what some people say. The US is at a major hurdle with healthcare and once we get that figured out we can move onto other pressing issues.

India... it's so hard to predict, because I believe their culture is holding them back. Their caste system traditions are keeping the poor from ever becoming productive members of society. If they don't stop that nonsense, they will never develop into a modern country. I could even see countries like Brazil and possibly Indonesia passing India economically. Despite Brazil having a few bad previous years, they have started to have positive GDP growth for 2016 and that growth rate is expected to increase. They have also started to get inflation under control. Brazil has been playing the global trade game well and have increased exports to both China and the US.

I think Japan will lose a lot of spots in the rankings, so will S Korea, UK, Russia, Germany, Canada. Well most of the individual European countries will lose spots in the GDP ranks, but the EU will still exist and be going strong without the UK. I don't mean these countries will lose GDP, they are simply growing slower then other developing countries with much higher populations.

It will be interesting to see global politics in 3 decades as political influence is spread around the globe. South America will be far more influential and so will SE Asia. China's relative influence isn't going to gain too much, and the US will lose a little influence. Europe will lose some influence, but I don't see Africa or Western Asia gaining much global influence.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:55 PM

It's hard for China to have cultural influence on others.

Chinese culture is very secular (always so), so the religious societies will not welcome Chinese influence. Chinese facial features are not widely appreciated out of the Far East, so it is difficult for their commercial movies and pop culture to succeed.
Western media are still very negative toward China. Both the liberals and the conservatives are fed with negative news of China every day, if there is news at all. Chinese language is very difficult to learn, so very few outsiders can fully grasp Chinese people's perspective from inside.

That being said, some neighboring countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar and Kazakhstan will experience a strong wave of Chinese influence, I suppose.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
The ECB is trashing the euro through quantitative easing, same as the US was doing after the recession. OTH, the Fed is now in tightening mode. The US is also angling away from the economic chokehold that was Obama into a more growth oriented environment. The next couple of years could be very interesting if the Republicans in Congress stop tripping over their own feet.
how did obama choke growth ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World