Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,976,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
Future GDP growth really will come from investments, no investment than no growth, big investments than big growth.

There are only two things in the future world: OBOR & AIIB. One is an Eurasia infrastructure project, the other is a bank financing it ... being left out is a big left out.
Global development is getting more diversified and not being part of OBOR and AIIB doesn't mean a big left out, especially for the United States and Japan, if you are implying them. They are by far the biggest players in the existing institutions which have more members and bigger sizes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,976,145 times
I don't think Brazil can enter top 5 given its current economic situation

Predicted Top 5 by GDP (nominal) in 2050 : China > United States > (European Union) > India > Japan > Indonesia
Predicted top 5 by GDP (PPP) in 2050 : China > India > United States > (European Union) > Indonesia > Japan

Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
The man stood up there and told people they were victims. He made them feel held down. Instead he should have told them, "Life isn't fair, but you have to overcome obstacles and keep pushing ahead. Look at me. I did it and you can too."

He set us back a generation with his rhetoric.
Life in the US made them feel held down. Do you really think they didn't feel held down already? I don't find that believable. So, in your vision, everyone in ghettoland was happy until Obama came along, and told them they weren't? That's would be laughable, if it weren't so pathetic. What does this have to do with the global GDP topic, anyway?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm sorry but you are wrong.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...exodus/359714/

It never ceases to amaze me how people wrongly really think that LBJ's policies influence social behavior that much.
You linked to an article in The Atlantic about people moving from the suburbs to the cities. What on earth does that have to do with labor mobility of poor people?

LBJ's Great Society programs completely changed poor people's behavior. Before then, if your choice was to stay where you were starving or move, you moved. Ask any Syrian refugee. Look at the racial demographics of pretty much any US northern city. Lilly white in 1900. Heavily African American by 1960. Poor people moved to places with economic opportunity. In the 1950's, that was the factory jobs in the big northern cities. Those factories are now long gone and the people are trapped there by the local safety net.

I'd also point out that people aren't queuing up to move to the long list of failed cities. Detroit? Flint? Camden, NJ? Hartford, CT? Compton, CA? Nope. Even within the high end cities, it's selective. Nobody is flocking to the Bronx part of NYC. Or the Mattapan section of Boston.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Usage of those programs was expanded under Obama, so while I agree with your premise that those programs are social poison, I don't agree that Obama did not have a hand in making things worse for the lowest tier of society.
The use of those programs expanded under Obama because that moron Dubya crashed the economy. My net worth dropped 40%. The stock market cratered. Real estate took a huge hit. After 8 years of Obama, I'm way ahead of where I was when Dubya whimpered away.

I don't buy the poorly educated angry white man arguments. The fundamental economic problems in the United States are structural. They're caused by global competition and automation. Unskilled and semi-skilled labor in the United States has little value. If you're not part of that top-10% to 20% that is capable of intellectual, high skilled labor, you're going backwards. Trump, Mitch McConnell, and Paul Ryan aren't going to change that. Bernie's preaching and Elizabeth Warren's strident harangue aren't going to change that. If your job can move to Wuhan where they pay $2.00/hour, it's gone. If your job can be automated where the cost of capital is less than they're paying you, it's gone.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Well if that is the case then #MakeIstanbulCosntantinopleAgain.
Good luck!

Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
US's biggest "power" is that they create their own "enemies" that they're sure they can defeat.
China is made-up enemy economically, Russia is made up political enemy and the Arabs are made up military enemy.
That's why the only way to defeat the Westn and America is not to play their game, which is why I'm betting on places like Japan, Israel and Eastern Europe to play bigger role instead of the friendly customer service from India or the cheap iPhone covers from China.
You're going out of date. It'll be Chinese iPhones you'll be buying not just the cover. Chinese innovations are coming up really strong and it'll only get stronger.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
You're going out of date. It'll be Chinese iPhones you'll be buying not just the cover. Chinese innovations are coming up really strong and it'll only get stronger.
You're not wrong really, be it's ironic you used the IPhone as your example and Foxconn (IPhone manufacturer) is starting to move their factories out of China.

Many manufacturers are realizing they can't protect their innovations and designs in China and are leaving to other countries. China has some serious obstacles to get over in product design protections.

That said, China will continue to get stronger with manufacturing and innovation, but many foreign companies are leaving China. Foxconn even said this in a press release late last year. Foxconn alone has 1 million employees in Guangdong.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:36 PM

1,110 posts, read 984,019 times
FOXCONN is leaving, yet Tesla is coming. Even low income chinese won't work for Foxconn.
It is a notorious sweatshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
You're not wrong really, be it's ironic you used the IPhone as your example and Foxconn (IPhone manufacturer) is starting to move their factories out of China.

Many manufacturers are realizing they can't protect their innovations and designs in China and are leaving to other countries. China has some serious obstacles to get over in product design protections.

That said, China will continue to get stronger with manufacturing and innovation, but many foreign companies are leaving China. Foxconn even said this in a press release late last year. Foxconn alone has 1 million employees in Guangdong.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You linked to an article in The Atlantic about people moving from the suburbs to the cities. What on earth does that have to do with labor mobility of poor people?

LBJ's Great Society programs completely changed poor people's behavior. Before then, if your choice was to stay where you were starving or move, you moved. Ask any Syrian refugee. Look at the racial demographics of pretty much any US northern city. Lilly white in 1900. Heavily African American by 1960. Poor people moved to places with economic opportunity. In the 1950's, that was the factory jobs in the big northern cities. Those factories are now long gone and the people are trapped there by the local safety net.
Where are the economic opportunities now in this country where poor people with little to no skills should move en masse to find work? In the 1950's post secondary school education wasn't needed for the average person to land a steady job. It is necessary now. A poor person today would just move to a booming city to be poor there.

Quote:
I'd also point out that people aren't queuing up to move to the long list of failed cities. Detroit? Flint? Camden, NJ? Hartford, CT? Compton, CA? Nope. Even within the high end cities, it's selective. Nobody is flocking to the Bronx part of NYC. Or the Mattapan section of Boston.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. If a part of a large city has no economic opportunities than no one would move there. I agree with that.

Like I said, some people really overestimate the impact LBJ's programs made on people's behavior and ignore all other factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World