Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:10 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,909,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I believe it's Honduras, El Salvador, and Venezuela with Guatemala and South Africa getting "honourable" mention.
I believe Brazil is a lot more dangerous then S Africa.

But I was surprised that Cape Town has a higher murder rate then Johannesburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 09:52 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,531,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
What is the cause for all the murders in African countries? I always thought they were just peaceful countries with people trying to get by with little crime.
What you said is true for India, not for Africa.
In Africa, violence is related to tribal fights, vengeance, rape, passional crimes and other reasons alike. There is a sizable part of african countries still living in tribal conditions. Indeed, it's still distinct of the violence in Latin America, which is mostly urban and related to drug trafficking.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:47 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,799,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
What you said is true for India, not for Africa.
In Africa, violence is related to tribal fights, vengeance, rape, passional crimes and other reasons alike. There is a sizable part of african countries still living in tribal conditions. Indeed, it's still distinct of the violence in Latin America, which is mostly urban and related to drug trafficking.
Yep. If we had accurate data from African countries the entire top 20-25 most violent countries would all be african countries on a per capita basis.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:04 PM

883 posts, read 926,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I believe Brazil is a lot more dangerous then S Africa.

But I was surprised that Cape Town has a higher murder rate then Johannesburg.
South Africa's murder rate apparently got stuck on >30 murders per 100.000 people. Brazil is around 25 per 100.000.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,509,929 times
I'm gonna have to go with African countries as well, though its hard to tell exactly which due to the absence of data. as far as documented ones go, the highest murder per capita is in Honduras.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:40 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,090,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
What is the cause for all the murders in African countries? I always thought they were just peaceful countries with people trying to get by with little crime.
Basically, about Africa: Historically, at the Berlin Conference in the 1880s, European leaders, setting the stage for colonialism, first drew up the borders of many of today's African countries without any consideration given to logical ethnic/ tribal boundaries. As a result, some African countries are strongly split among Christian/Moslem lines such as Nigeria, Kenya, while others have strong tribal hostilities. (The same thing happened later on with Iraq, around 1920, where the British stupidly drew an arbitrary boundary line as a straight line - without even consulting the natives -- leaving the ethnic Kurds unfortunately split among 4 separate new countries).

The Congo (Zaire)- an enormous-sized country (3 times the size of Texas), was suddenly freed by France in about 1960, with only about 20 native African college graduates in the entire country to take care of business. Then more recently, for a period of 30 years, under a father-and-son corrupt dicatatorship, there was not a single additional highway, hospital, or school built in the entire Congo during that time, while the national dictator amassed billions in Swiss bank accounts, and had champagne flown in by the expensive Concorde jetliner. The U.S. govt. supported and propped-up that regime because they were "anti-communist.".

Old 07-08-2017, 11:03 AM

9,542 posts, read 16,555,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Is a joke, right? Can't believe Sweden is more dangerous than El Salvador.
I can't believe any major nation is worse than the USA. Just look at the constant death toll from shootings in just Chicago. It's a disgrace any country would not take drastic steps to curb such violence. And that's just one city. Look how violent the rest of this country is. Absolute disgrace. I cannot imagine Sweden has such violence nationwide.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:48 PM

883 posts, read 926,412 times
you should have to define "war". one could say that Latin American countries suffer the "war on drugs", between very distinguisheable factions.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:11 AM

10,250 posts, read 15,966,902 times
Northern Mexico especially Juarez and Tijuana
Honduras
Guatemala
El Salvador
South Africa
Colombia
Venezuela (political violence in addition to crime)
Nigeria
Greece (political violence though not really a war, also crime caused by Muslim refugees)

I don't know if Turkey counts as being in a war but there is a lot of terrorism there.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,530,908 times
Do not know for sure, Turkey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World