Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:56 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times

Advertisements

Is Congo at war? I have read that Eastern Congo is one of the most dangerous regions in the world, even compared to Rwanda!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 12:40 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Is Congo at war? I have read that Eastern Congo is one of the most dangerous regions in the world, even compared to Rwanda!
It's the world's most overlooked conflict zone. It's was the scene of the bloodiest war of the 21st century so far, and it's a very unstable and dangerous area.

I'm not exactly sure what the current situation is there. Either a shaky peace or sporadic violence.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:40 PM

525 posts, read 453,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can't believe any major nation is worse than the USA. Just look at the constant death toll from shootings in just Chicago. It's a disgrace any country would not take drastic steps to curb such violence. And that's just one city. Look how violent the rest of this country is. Absolute disgrace. I cannot imagine Sweden has such violence nationwide.
But the US has a very large population. Having said that, its per capita violent crime rate is higher than those of most developed countries, although I wouldn't say it's the MOST violent country not at war. I would guess some sort of poorer, more corrupt country.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
According to some Dems, 93,000,000 Americans die every day from gun violence.

Just sayin'.
And that is just the guns. You should see what the bullets do.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:14 PM

34 posts, read 39,032 times
Turkey if youre a women.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:44 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahdah View Post
Turkey if youre a women.
I'm surprised no one brought up the Indian Subcontinent or the Arab Middle East for women as a whole...

Old 07-29-2017, 08:50 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahdah View Post
Turkey if youre a women.
Huh? Unless if you're talking about southeast Anatolia then maybe you have a point. Turkey's larger cities such as Istanbul, Izmit, Antalya and Ankara are fairly liberal and relatively safe...

If you want the Middle East, try Saudi Arabia, Iran, Egypt, Palestine and Pakistan (although this place is in South Asia). Turkey is like Sweden compared to these.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can't believe any major nation is worse than the USA. Just look at the constant death toll from shootings in just Chicago. It's a disgrace any country would not take drastic steps to curb such violence. And that's just one city. Look how violent the rest of this country is. Absolute disgrace. I cannot imagine Sweden has such violence nationwide.
They did take drastic steps, violent crime is at historic lows in the US. To take any further steps is met with resistance from rights groups (as it does start infringing on people's rights).

Old 08-01-2017, 09:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
I disagree while Africa has high crime rates, the rates cannot compare to Latin American countries. South Africa is one of the most dangerous countries in Africa and is at an all time high for violence while certain African cities are dangerous I would argue most African countries are around Botswanas and Namibias murder rates (both countries record accurate statistics). Also things to consider is that in many African countries children make up half the populace and children tend not to be violent. Also tribal warfare etcetera, has next to no affect on murder rates compared to gang warfare. Look at the state statistics for South Africa, Botswana and Namibia which all have trustworthy statistics. Limpopo a predominantly rural state in SA records a murder rate of 15.7 in 2016. https://africacheck.org/factsheets/f...me-statistics/
This overall is more accurate for all of Africa. South Africa even with its developments is overrun with gangs and crime compared to most other African countries. I have many people who would rather stay in Nigeria than South Africa just because how violent it is. Their is only a few states in Nigeria that is likely as violent as the urban areas of SA. Lagos which keeps more accurate-ish stats recorder 249 murders in one year (that is likely the number of people killed with a body involved and doesn't include missing persons cases). But if you read on murders in Lagos it simply can't compasrento a place like South Africa just because true drug gang violence is nonexistent. Although their are plenty of cults/ritualized and the like that resemble gangs in structure. Because of this most African countries not including SA have much lower rates of violence than Latin America but higher than Europe/Asia.

TL;DR The average subsaharan murder rate is probably between Limpopo (15.7), Namibia (16.7) (take in mind murder rate in Namibia ranges from 7.6 to 39) or Botswana. Especially in rural areas, although for cities Kinshasa and Port Harcourt are exceptionally violent and not the norm and I have been too one of those cities several times and literally every city I have ever stepped into besides New Orleans seemed safer.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:10 AM

100 posts, read 103,237 times
Here's an article concerning Europe : http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/m...in-europe.html

I must say I'm surprised that Naples didn't make it on the list . One would think it would be at the very top .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World