Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,535,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sino-Tibetan: Mandarin is what most think of. Cantonese is what most actually hear. So, Chinese.
Austroasiatic: Vietnamese
I prefer to pack all Sino-Tibetan, Kra-Dai and Austro-Asiatic into a single East Asian sprachbund. Even if they are not proven to be genetically related, all of them are small families in number of languages, all of them are spoken in a geographic continuum, all of them have extensive borrowings to each other (though most from Chinese) and share many typological features not easily found in other linguistic families, such as the tones and the isolating monosyllabic morphology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 06:55 PM

11,655 posts, read 13,024,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, just because you were raised around Croats (or whoever), doesn't mean that's the stereotypical representative of the Slavic language family. You can see that, right? Much more likely are Russian or Polish, personal affiliations aside. Or should it be Slovene? What about Sorbian?

Semitic: Wouldn't it be Hebrew? Aren't the Jews the quintessential Semites? Hello?

Germanic: German, obviously.

Romance: Romanian, haha! Hey, if you can claim Serbo-Croat for Slavic, I can claim Romanian for Romance.

Turkic: Don't get me started. My personal faves: Yakut and Tuvan. But then, the topic isn't about our personal faves. ....right, OP? It's hard to tell w/your choice for Slavic.
Why are you so uptight? I'm speaking my opinion. I'm not shoving it down other people's throats ("Croatian is representative of the Slavic family - believe it or else!").

This is a fun thread. No need to get petty and snobby about it, seriously.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I agree re: Gaelic or Celtic: Irish.
Just because you were raised around the Irish (or whoever), doesn't mean that's the stereotypical representative of the Celtic language family. You can see that, right? Much more likely are Common Brittonic or Welsh, personal affiliations aside. Or should it be Cornish? What about Scottish?

You see Ruth, I can play this game too.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,461,046 times
Quote:
Gentoo, wouldn't most people's first thought on Iroquoian be Iroquois?

Athabaskan: Navajo or Apache. (Though Canadians would make other choices.) Though my personal fave is Hupa/Hoopa, of northern CA. A HUGE chunk of northern CA used to be Athabaskan-speaking. From Humboldt Bay down to the northern Bay Area/Sonoma. Cool, but sad that most of it's gone.

I agree re: Gaelic or Celtic: Irish.
Ruth I thought about the Iroquois point, and it's a good point. I decided on Cherokee because more people are familiar with Cherokee as a word and a cultural group. Then there's the history with the code talkers.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,461,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I prefer to pack all Sino-Tibetan, Kra-Dai and Austro-Asiatic into a single East Asian sprachbund. Even if they are not proven to be genetically related, all of them are small families in number of languages, all of them are spoken in a geographic continuum, all of them have extensive borrowings to each other (though most from Chinese) and share many typological features not easily found in other linguistic families, such as the tones and the isolating monosyllabic morphology.
Maybe because I grew up around all of these groups and have heard the languages and ave seen names written, they are usually moderately distinctive to me. When I see names like; Zhang, Bui, Keoel, and Somphanakahm, I know they are in order; Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean and Cambodian.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:04 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Why are you so uptight? I'm speaking my opinion. I'm not shoving it down other people's throats ("Croatian is representative of the Slavic family - believe it or else!").

This is a fun thread. No need to get petty and snobby about it, seriously.
Hahaha! I'm not uptight. I was teasing you. Sheesh. There weren't enough smilies in there to convey that? Don't you recognize someone getting jiggy with your topic, when you see it? Yakut & Tuvan (not to mention: Sorbian) didn't tip you off about that? Wow. Talk about uptight. This is what fun/jiggy looks like.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Hahaha! I'm not uptight. I was teasing you. Sheesh. There weren't enough smilies in there to convey that? Don't you recognize someone getting jiggy with your topic, when you see it? Yakut & Tuvan (not to mention: Sorbian) didn't tip you off about that? Wow. Talk about uptight. This is what fun/jiggy looks like.
Lol. I just thought you were being passive aggressive. It happens in these forums, especially here. They use smileys to seem "less" serious than they are even though they really are stern about they said.

But I totally get you now. I guess my reaction was a little sensitive. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World