Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2017, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Reputation: 4831

Advertisements

EVIL: European Court Of Human Rights Sentences 10-Month-Old Sick Baby To Die, Won't Let Parents Come To US For Possible Life-Saving Treatment | Daily Wire

Nuff said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Great Britain
27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Reputation: 19459
This has nothing to do with Universal Healthcare.

The baby in question was suffering and terminally ill, the experimental treatment in the US was not going to improve the childs life, as the child was already severely brain damaged and in pain.

The UK has some of the oldest and most highly respected Childrens Hospitals such as Great Ormond Street, Alder Hey, Royal Manchester Children's Hospital etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

British courts have already concluded that it would be lawful for the hospital to withdraw life sustaining treatment because it was likely Charlie would suffer significant harm if his suffering was prolonged without realistic prospect of improvement. The experimental therapy, the courts maintained, would produce no effective benefit.

The European judges said it was “not for the court to substitute itself for the competent domestic authorities”. British court judgments in the case had been “meticulous”, the ECHR noted.

It said: “The domestic courts had concluded, on the basis of extensive, high-quality expert evidence, that it was most likely Charlie was being exposed to continued pain, suffering and distress and that undergoing experimental treatment with no prospects of success would offer no benefit, and continue to cause him significant harm.”

Charlie Gard: European court rejects plea to intervene in life-support fight - Guardian


Last edited by Brave New World; 06-29-2017 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 01:11 PM
 
6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Reputation: 2243
This is a human rights issue, it has nothing to do with unversal healthcare. Although I know some kooky right-wingers in America like to exploit whatever events they can in order to discredit the concept.

It's just a court saying that a suffering child with a terminal condition should die with dignity rather than be sent to be experimented on by a quack doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Reputation: 116153
It's unbelievable that someone would use this case to try to make an argument against universal health care. That makes no sense. And the OP already stated that no explanation of his thought process is necessary ("nuff said"), so I guess we're done here? Thread over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Reputation: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
This is a human rights issue, it has nothing to do with unversal healthcare. Although I know some kooky right-wingers in America like to exploit whatever events they can in order to discredit the concept.

It's just a court saying that a suffering child with a terminal condition should die with dignity rather than be sent to be experimented on by a quack doctor.
That decision shouldn't be up to the courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Great Britain
27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Reputation: 19459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
That decision shouldn't be up to the courts.
The Courts are allowed to intervene in cases of child welfare in most countries and are allowed to protect the rights of the child. The case has been heard in the Family Division of the High Court in London, the UK Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg and numerous experts have been called to give enidence and the case was even reviewed by doctors from other countries.

The treatment will never reverse the childs brain damage or need to be fed by a tube or the need for a ventilator, and he is in a significant amount of pain, whilst experts do not believe experimental treatment will do anything except cause this child more pain.

The case is heartbreakingly sad, and not a decision that most people would relish having to make, but those who gave evidence were among the foremost experts in the world.

As for Universal Healthcare, this has nothing to do with it, indeed there are private patients and patients from all over the world at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2017, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Reputation: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Courts are allowed to intervene in cases of child welfare in most countries and are allowed to protect the rights of the child. The case has been heard in the Family Division of the High Court in London, the UK Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg and numerous experts have been called to give enidence and the case was even reviewed by doctors from other countries.

The treatment will never reverse the childs brain damage or need to be fed by a tube or the need for a ventilator, and he is in a significant amount of pain, whilst experts do not believe experimental treatment will do anything except cause this child more pain.

The case is heartbreakingly sad, and not a decision that most people would relish having to make, but those who gave evidence were among the foremost experts in the world.

As for Universal Healthcare, this has nothing to do with it, indeed there are private patients and patients from all over the world at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children.
I still believe it still shouldn't be up to the courts to decide. A parent should have the right to decide whether or not they want to give their child an experimental procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2017, 11:05 AM
 
6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Reputation: 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
That decision shouldn't be up to the courts.
The courts are there to protect the welfare of the child, not just the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2017, 12:09 PM
 
Location: London, United Kingdom
699 posts, read 368,684 times
Reputation: 281
What a cheap point to discredit universal healthcare. What I don't understand is why anyone can be against the concept of free healthcare for the population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2017, 03:16 PM
 
2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
What a cheap point to discredit universal healthcare. What I don't understand is why anyone can be against the concept of free healthcare for the population?
There is no such thing as free healthcare. Somebody always has to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top