Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 04:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
OK, but can a Norwegian understand a German? They are both Germanic languages.

Can an Englishman understand a Frenchman? I mean, look at the pie chart. They should at least get the gist.

Mutual intelligibilty does not directly correlate with the relatedness of languages.
No an Englishman cannot understand a Frenchman or a German or a Spaniard or a Norwegian or a Russian, this is why I believe that English is more than just 'Germanic', French has a lot of influence in the English language but then again why wouldn't it, don't forget about 1066, this must have had a big impact? I believe the pie chart shows that French and Latin have the biggest influence on English followed by Germanic languages (various ones), I believe that Latin has a lot of influence on all European languages, even then there are plenty of other influences in English, the Scandinavians have particularly influenced the North East of the island.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...h_PieChart.svg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 04:52 AM

178 posts, read 184,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny131 View Post
Portuguese and Spanish are very similar in the written form but in the spoken form it really depends, Brazil alone has at least 15 different popular accents, Portugal has several others, when Brazilians want to make themselves understood by spanish speaking people they usually talk in a slow pace mix of brazilian portuguese and spanish.

I did a test with a group of tourists from spanish speaking countries, I showed them the video bellow and asked how much they could understand of it, even the ones that were at intermediate-advanced level in brazilian portuguese told me they could not understand more than 15% of the entire conversation.

So I think the other guy is right, spanish and portuguese are very similar in the written form but in the spoken form it really depends on which accent is used and how much effort each one put to make it easier to be understood by the other.
In fact, I can understand more the Portuguese language when it's spoken than when it's written.

And I repeat, I've never studied Portuguese, at all.

As for those videos, the only problem is that they speak too fast. If the pace was slower I could have understood it better.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:26 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Korean and Japanese have 70% vocabulary from Chinese though (including the words made from Chinese roots by themselves). It's not uncommon that Chinese people can catch a few words in their speech, although the pronunciation has changed a lot since the time they borrowed.
This is only if Japanese is using Kanji which is a modified Chinese form. Japanese has three different systems. Hiragana is a Japanese phonetic system used for grammar. Katakana is used for foreign words not associated with Kanji.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is only if Japanese is using Kanji which is a modified Chinese form. Japanese has three different systems. Hiragana is a Japanese phonetic system used for grammar. Katakana is used for foreign words not associated with Kanji.
You confused language with script. Some languages have no written forms at all but we can still talk about their similarity to other languages.

Yes Japanese use kanji to write Sino-Japanese words. Even if they do not do so (like Koreans and Vietnamese of today), the connection is still there.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:46 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
English: I speak English.
German: Ich spreche Englisch.

English: I have six fish.
German: Ich habe sechs Fische.

Are you sure you cannot guess the meaning?
You forgot "das ist meins" = "that is mine".

But to be fair, these are simple phrases and you could have easily chosen the more identical sounding ones to further your case. A lot of English and German sentence structures don't even have the slightest resemblance:

English: Can we go now?
German: Können wir jetzt gehen?

English: Stop doing that!
German: Hör auf!

English: Pass me the salt.
German: Reich mir das salz.

English: You have a beautiful smile.
German: Sie haben ein schönes lächeln.

English: Where are you?
German: Wo bist du?

And I could go on and on...

P.S. You can do this with Dutch too - My favourite is, "De man is dood" meaning "the man is dead".

Old 07-10-2017, 04:14 AM

779 posts, read 596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
You forgot "das ist meins" = "that is mine".

But to be fair, these are simple phrases and you could have easily chosen the more identical sounding ones to further your case. A lot of English and German sentence structures don't even have the slightest resemblance:

English: Can we go now?
German: Können wir jetzt gehen?

English: Stop doing that!
German: Hör auf!

English: Pass me the salt.
German: Reich mir das salz.

English: You have a beautiful smile.
German: Sie haben ein schönes lächeln.

English: Where are you?
German: Wo bist du?

And I could go on and on...

P.S. You can do this with Dutch too - My favourite is, "De man is dood" meaning "the man is dead".
Says German and English sentence structures don't have the slightest resemblance.

Posts sentence structures that have a lot of resemblance.

Don't become a lawyer

Old 07-10-2017, 07:58 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Says German and English sentence structures don't have the slightest resemblance.

Posts sentence structures that have a lot of resemblance.

Don't become a lawyer
The world section and its mindless, newbie chumps.

Bub, do you realize that I was making an emphasis on the vocabulary? Newsflash, vocab is part of a sentence structure. How the hell does reich and pass sound the same?

You should learn how to read and heighten your comprehension skills?

Old 07-11-2017, 12:42 PM

779 posts, read 596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
The world section and its mindless, newbie chumps.

Bub, do you realize that I was making an emphasis on the vocabulary? Newsflash, vocab is part of a sentence structure. How the hell does reich and pass sound the same?

You should learn how to read and heighten your comprehension skills?
Newsflash right back at you, vocabulary doesn't matter in sentence structure. Sentence structure is about how/where verbs, subjects and objects etc. are positioned. Second newsflash, how words sound also doesn't matter in sentence structure.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Not related (although Japanese did borrow a lot from the Chinese writing system.)
That already means they're related, although these languages have different grammatical structures.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
You confused language with script. Some languages have no written forms at all but we can still talk about their similarity to other languages.

Yes Japanese use kanji to write Sino-Japanese words. Even if they do not do so (like Koreans and Vietnamese of today), the connection is still there.
Point being, you can't just use one Japanese alphabet to make a comparison when it has three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World