Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris or Istt
The city of lights 17 77.27%
Where the east meets the west 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times

Advertisements

The two most beautiful cities in the world bar none, which is the most lively and exciting.

Personally with Istanbul's economic boom it has a newer feel and the government seems to be pushing for more growth so Istanbul looks like it may surpass Paris by 1st world standards in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 08:30 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The two most beautiful cities in the world bar none, which is the most lively and exciting.

Personally with Istanbul's economic boom it has a newer feel and the government seems to be pushing for more growth so Istanbul looks like it may surpass Paris by 1st world standards in a few years.
I would probably prefer Paris, it tries to be Roma and London at the same time... with more or less success lol
Never went to Istanbul, I can't judge...

Old 07-04-2017, 10:36 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,135,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

I have no idea what you really mean by "1st world standards" but I don't think you realize the extent to which Istanbul needs to grow economically in order to catch up with Paris or any other western metropolis. Even after adjusting for purchasing power, the GDP per capita of Paris is still FOUR times that of Istanbul. Even the poorest province in Poland is ahead.

As a visitor and if we ignore the periodic terrorist threats, I loved Istanbul and would gladly return, in part because of the culture shock I can never get in Paris. Anyone who likes cities or culture should try to see both cities in his/her life.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:31 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
I only voted for Istanbul because I know it wouldn't stand a chance with one of the most beautiful cities in the world (Paris). As would many cities, really.

Istanbul is a brilliant, vibrant city by itself and in my top 10. But I would compare to Rome or Milan. It's not in Paris's league, and the poll results showcase that.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:22 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I only voted for Istanbul because I know it wouldn't stand a chance with one of the most beautiful cities in the world (Paris). As would many cities, really.

Istanbul is a brilliant, vibrant city by itself and in my top 10. But I would compare to Rome or Milan. It's not in Paris's league, and the poll results showcase that.
How about İzmir? I think İzmir is the most European city in Turkey. İstanbul is mixed.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,309 times
I voted for Paris, by the way.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times
Standards in regards to what? I don't agree these are the 2 most beautiful cities in the world. Both are beautiful, but I am not feeling the 2 most beautiful. I have been to both cities and like both cities. I guess based on the fact that I am a woman Turkey still has a long away to go in terms of gender equality still. Being 100% honest my comfort level walking around in Istanbul as a woman was not good. I found a lot of younger men ex teens to 30s men working in the markets and is stores often very disrespectful. Not all men I met there were like this, but in the short time I was there I had several VERY uncomfortable and almost dangerous experiences there. I literally had this guy pull me by the arms in to his shop then start trying to take of my clothes and make out with me. When I pull away and tried to leave he and his freinds working in the shops beside him started following me and swearing at me saying look at that American B****. She thinks she is too good for me. Very very very scary and upsetting experience which not provoked.

Beautiful city, but I would advise younger women travelling there to be cautious. This is one city where I 100% do feel travelling with a man who make the trip more enjoyable.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:54 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,614 times
Honestly, I would live in either at the drop of the hat. Both are very beautiful, world class cities and I really enjoyed my time in both. Despite the political turmoil and the issues with Turkey's southern neighbors, I would choose Istanbul over Paris.

Setting:
Istanbul's setting on the Bosphorus blows Paris out of the water(no pun intended). It's one of the most beautiful locations in the world. Paris has made excellent use of it's site astride the Seine but it's not nearly as dramatic as the the expansive Bosphorus surrounded by hilly peninsulas.

Paris is in the middle of Western Europe and is a bit closer to the U.S. Istanbul's Ataturk Airport has direct flights to the US so it's not too hard to visit home. I really like Istanbul's proximity to the Balkans, the Levant, and the Caucasus. I find these regions among some of the most interesting places to travel. I see myself investing in a sailboat or becoming friends with a boat owner if I lived in Istanbul.

Culture:
Parisians are a lot nicer than their reputation. I found the overall culture a lot more similar to America than I expected. It's very diverse and overall fairly friendly. Turks were on another level, though. It was very easy to strike up conversations with the locals since many seem to know English. The bazaars are great ways to spend a weekend and are pretty fascinating. It really feels like a cultural crossroads.

Food:
France might edge Turkey out on this although neither are slouches on the culinary scene. Istanbul may actually edge out Paris based on seafood. I may just count this as a draw.

Architecture:
Both are top notch but Istanbul has the longer legacy. Paris has a more neat, luxurious appearance while Istanbul can be a bit ramshackle interspersed with stunning mosques and other impressive architecture(but mostly mosques). Both are fun to wander around.

Lifestyle:
Parts of Paris struck me as being very similar to NYC in pace and feel. Transportation is very easy and efficient. Istanbul felt like no other places I've been. It's exotic but westernized enough to not require much adjustment to live there. I like Istanbul more because of that. I can go to Shake Shack on my way to the Grand Bazaar.

Politics:
Unfortunately I think Turkey is heading in the wrong direction while France will probably always be a close U.S. ally. Both cities are big targets for terrorists.

Cost of Living:
Turkey is definitely cheaper than France but Paris wasn't as expensive as I though it'd be. Food was surprisingly cheap. It's the home of froufrou food and wine. I shouldn't have been surprised that good cheese and wine was very affordable and excellent bread easily obtainable but I was. Istanbul was very cheap and probably even cheaper now.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:10 PM

344 posts, read 244,974 times
Paris is fine. However, Istanbul is fascinating - the food is great, the people are wonderful, and the historical sites are superb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World