Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Middle Eastern cities are...
Western 5 11.36%
Eastern 15 34.09%
Other 24 54.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 02:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
I suspect East Asians think Western Culture is so great so they suck up to it. Not bashing East Asians but it seems they are obsessed by anything Western - its just my little observation though.
Not completely true. For example, the Chinese do not believe in "democracy", from government to people.
The Japanese and South Koreans also do not believe in "diversity", etc.
In addition to that, East Asians are not religious, more monogamous than otherwise, and value education. These things just fit in modern western culture better.
If Arabs and Iranians are not religious, they blend in westerners far better than Chinese etc. I know such an Iranian.

However it is true that they adopt more western values than Middle Easterners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 10:36 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
In parts, they are like Western, other parts like India, and other parts like a distinctive Middle Eastern. I'm currently in Kuwait City.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
In parts, they are like Western, other parts like India, and other parts like a distinctive Middle Eastern. I'm currently in Kuwait City.
I think this is a fairly accurate description. many of the new cities exhibit modern planning found in North American cities, but a lot of older ones have an identity of their own.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Speaking as an Asian American of Chinese and Taiwanese descent, both the Far East and the Middle East are "east". As an American I even see Eastern Europe and Russia as not Western. I also don't think of Latin America as Western.

I do think that Hong Kong and Tokyo are actually more Westernized cities than places like Cairo, Gaza, Kabul, and Baghdad. The Middle East is its own thing but its "eastern". Neither Western nor Eastern would be cities like Moscow, Kiev, Mexico City, Guatemala City, Athens, etc.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:13 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Now they are deemed as "eastern cities" in our textbooks and such, but it seems inappropriate for me. Because when I think of the east, I have eastern Asia in mind, not the Middle East. I mean, Lebanese people have now more in common, both genetically and culturally, with Thais than with Greeks and Maltese?

Istanbul is marked as the point where "East meets West". At first glance, this slogan made think it's a city that has European and eastern Asian culture.

Would you say Middle Eastern cities are "eastern", "western" or you have your own fancy title for them?
I think it depends on the city. For example in Israel, Tel Aviv is definitely considered a Western city. But I don't think all Middle Eastern cities can be considered Western.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:12 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think it depends on the city. For example in Israel, Tel Aviv is definitely considered a Western city. But I don't think all Middle Eastern cities can be considered Western.
True. I would go as far as saying that Beirut is also, to an extent, a western city. Some cities in coastal Lebanon do give off a heavy Southern European vibe. Not to mention, many inhabitants in Lebanon are culturally Catholic, like the Italians. So, if anything, they're still far more "western" than "eastern".

Old 11-10-2017, 02:09 AM

400 posts, read 292,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
True. I would go as far as saying that Beirut is also, to an extent, a western city. Some cities in coastal Lebanon do give off a heavy Southern European vibe. Not to mention, many inhabitants in Lebanon are culturally Catholic, like the Italians. So, if anything, they're still far more "western" than "eastern".
Are you a middle eastern christian?

Old 11-10-2017, 07:45 AM

375 posts, read 331,786 times
This entire West/East dichotomy is entirely European made. And basically boils down, we(Europeans) are the West, everyone else is the East - anyways, before they knew about the 'New' world.

I'm not sure on the history but my guess is that Eastern Europe was not considered Western, hence why the Arab world is considered the middle east.

My own personal take on this is that cultures are not binary. In some respects, East Asian cultures share more similarity with European cultures than Middle Eastern ones. Those similarities are in terms of dating, romance, and position of the woman in society especially. In other respects when it comes to religion, position in society, manners, I say we (Europeans) have more in common with Middle Easterners. Genetically speaking, Middle Easterners are closer to us, if that counts for anything.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:38 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
I think it's a little more complex than that. I think Far Eastern cities like Tokyo and Seoul are more "western" than a lot of cities much farther geographically to their west. Maybe that's because they were largely rebuilt/developed in the last half of the 20th century. For example, I think Istanbul is more "Eastern" as far as being different from European and American cities than the two I mentioned.

I think it most depends on when the city was built. Amman is way different from Dubai although they are both in the Middle East.

Cities like Tbilisi, Sarajevo, and perhaps Baku(hope to make it there soon) are very interesting to me because they blend east and west much like Istanbul.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:24 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
I suspect East Asians think Western Culture is so great so they suck up to it. Not bashing East Asians but it seems they are obsessed by anything Western - its just my little observation though.
mostly Asians who have never been to the west tend to think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World