Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Middle Eastern cities are...
Western 5 11.36%
Eastern 15 34.09%
Other 24 54.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,827,386 times

Advertisements

Now they are deemed as "eastern cities" in our textbooks and such, but it seems inappropriate for me. Because when I think of the east, I have eastern Asia in mind, not the Middle East. I mean, Lebanese people have now more in common, both genetically and culturally, with Thais than with Greeks and Maltese?

Istanbul is marked as the point where "East meets West". At first glance, this slogan made think it's a city that has European and eastern Asian culture.

Would you say Middle Eastern cities are "eastern", "western" or you have your own fancy title for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 07:00 AM

9,296 posts, read 14,184,455 times
For each word, there are as many meanings as there are human mouths.

Whatever makes most sense to you and pleases you.

Having said that, many "cities" from the eastern Mediterranean seaboard to the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf trace their roots to the earliest agricultural times.

To be sure, there are new cities that have been built in this the industrial era, some using the very latest technology.

That makes sense to me and pleases me.

What's with this "east/west" thing? The world is round.

Even as a matter of physical geography, there is no place where so-called Asia and so-called Europe begins and ends, nor Africa for that matter (except maybe for the Suez canal). It is all one landmass surrounded by ocean and interspersed with seas, gulfs, lakes, and rivers.

Moreover, global travel has been established for around five hundred years, becoming quicker and quicker, and by now global communications are instantaneous.

Round and round and round and round.

Last edited by bale002; 07-05-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 10:49 AM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,869 times
Islamic world is outside this east-west divide.
They are equally distinct of Europe as they are of the rest of Asia, it's a cultural hub apart.
What cultural traits has, let's say, a Saudi in common with a Japanese and with a German, for example? Is Saudi Arabia culturally closer to Japan than it is to Germany, or closer to Germany than it is to Japan?
Moreover, their geographic range extends from as west as Senegal to as east as Indonesia, in more extreme longitudes than many "western" and "eastern" countries.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 07-05-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 AM

699 posts, read 366,482 times
This whole East-West is nonsensical. The middle East is from the sense of Europeans and North Americans. From the point of East Asians and the pacific region the ''middle east'' is the ''Middle-West'' and North America is the ''far east''

The whole concept should be abandoned.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:11 PM

5,678 posts, read 4,833,075 times
It depends on the word East, east can either refer to Russia or east Asia, traditionally the Middle East was called the Near East, and east Asia was the Far East

Old 07-05-2017, 04:51 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
The whole scheme upon which the 'West' is defined by historians rests upon its opposition to the 'Orient' which connotes the Middle East, Ottoman (Turkic) and Arabic. The Bosporous is the historic dividing line between West and East.

The Far East and South Asia are more recent additions to the East / West equation.

Furthermore, though couched in geographic terms, the definitions are mainly cultural.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:04 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,682,327 times
Arabs, Persians and Afghans are "Caucasians" (whatever it means), and cluster with Europeans more than with East Asians.
Traditionally, they are all "People of the Book", the same as Europeans. East Asian societies were very secular and organized religions were weak.
Traditionally, their arts, clothes, and even food were more similar to Europeans' than to East Asians'.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:44 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,224,076 times
it's not without reason it's called middle east...

I think middle east is closer to Europe than it is to East Asia, but not everyone will agree on that...

Old 07-06-2017, 12:59 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
it's not without reason it's called middle east...

I think middle east is closer to Europe than it is to East Asia, but not everyone will agree on that...
Going very back in the history, it's true. Parts of the Middle East were part of the Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire, and cultural interchange between arabs and turks with europeans happened several times. On the other hand, and interestingly, I notice that today Eastern Asians assimilate into Western culture much more easily than Middle-Easterners do.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM

699 posts, read 366,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Going very back in the history, it's true. Parts of the Middle East were part of the Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire, and cultural interchange between arabs and turks with europeans happened several times. On the other hand, and interestingly, I notice that today Eastern Asians assimilate into Western culture much more easily than Middle-Easterners do.
I suspect East Asians think Western Culture is so great so they suck up to it. Not bashing East Asians but it seems they are obsessed by anything Western - its just my little observation though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World