Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It's definitely more indirect in nature, but consider the products you use in your daily life. Let's just look at a few ways the US impacts your daily life.

You are on City-Data which is an American website.

How did you get here? You used a web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge...) American

Where is the browser found? It's part of the OS (windows, android, iOS...) American unless you run Linux

What do I need to run an OS? You use a bunch of hardware (Sony, Motorola, Apple, Lenovo) American, Japanese, Korean...

With China it's also pretty obvious as a lot of products you buy are manufactured there. With South Africa and Turkey it's a little less obvious but examples could be found.
I pay for City Data, one way or another -it's not a free ride.

All countries buy stuff from other countries. But I don't regard my country as carrying other countries, just because we sell them stuff.

How about those Turkey and South Africa examples? -shouldn't be too hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 10:35 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I pay for City Data, one way or another -it's not a free ride.

All countries buy stuff from other countries. But I don't regard my country as carrying other countries, just because we sell them stuff.

How about those Turkey and South Africa examples? -shouldn't be too hard to find.
South Africa gives you diamonds for wedding rings and invictus while Turkey gives you political turmoil and Islamic terrorism for news whenever you're bored.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
South Africa gives you diamonds for wedding rings and invictus while Turkey gives you political turmoil and Islamic terrorism for news whenever you're bored.
True - I forgot about diamonds. That political turmoil has really helped with the heavy lifting as well.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:38 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
True - I forgot about diamonds. That political turmoil has really helped with the heavy lifting as well.
Yup, Turkey has been a huge help personally, whenever I'm borded Erdogen and his people come up with a new exciting political story for the news and on lucky days a military coup or even a government sponsored terrorists attack.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
How exactly do countries like South Africa, the US, Turkey or China carry the load for a country like mine, either directly, or indirectly? -no slogans please
First of all, I said half the world.

In any case, directly through things like aid, military protection, funding of all sorts of world programs and initiatives. Indirectly as mentioned above in technology trickle down. Also medical advance trickle down. As much as the world reviles the US medical care system, the US is responsible for more medical device and pharma patents than the entire rest of the world combined. Eventually, much of that stuff benefits everybody around the globe.

Probably the biggest thing the G20 provide is stability. There are dust ups, bad decisions and military blunders galore, but the reality is that there are fewer war deaths and less starvation per 100,000 inhabitants now than at any time in world history. There's still lots of work to be done, but that's a darn good thing.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:18 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post

In any case, directly through things like aid, military protection, funding of all sorts of world programs and initiatives. Indirectly as mentioned above in technology trickle down. Also medical advance trickle down. As much as the world reviles the US medical care system, the US is responsible for more medical device and pharma patents than the entire rest of the world combined. Eventually, much of that stuff benefits everybody around the globe.

Probably the biggest thing the G20 provide is stability. There are dust ups, bad decisions and military blunders galore, but the reality is that there are fewer war deaths and less starvation per 100,000 inhabitants now than at any time in world history. There's still lots of work to be done, but that's a darn good thing.
Exactly. A lot of people are under the impression that the world is in more chaos then it's ever been. While it's true that there is a lot of bad stuff that does happen nowadays, humans have been at war with one another since they first popped up. There has never been a period of real global stability. The world is definitely better off then it's been in the past.

Imagine being born into serfdom during the Middle Ages with no room to climb up the social ladder.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:44 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,975,092 times
Members of the G20 account for more than 80% of global economic activities.

How is that not representive of the rest of the world?

Old 07-10-2017, 01:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
G20 = Snooty elites
UN = Snooty elites
EU = Snooty eites
And the snootiest of all, the U.S.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post

The G-20 is more than half the world's population, so the other half must be the smaller half?

Medicine is just another product -it benefits the people who sell it, as well as the people who buy it.

The G-20 was formed in 1999. Increased stability was was a trend established well before then.

I'll have to write a letter to the Saudis, thanking them for all their military protection, and one to the Indonesians, thanking them for all the aid. Better not forgot those noble Turks and their wonderful world program that I'm leeching off, or the Chinese and their wonderful (human rights?) initiatives

I would still like to see examples of how the G-20 carries the rest of the world - ones that don't involve commerce, or organisations other than the G-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Exactly. A lot of people are under the impression that the world is in more chaos then it's ever been. While it's true that there is a lot of bad stuff that does happen nowadays, humans have been at war with one another since they first popped up. There has never been a period of real global stability. The world is definitely better off then it's been in the past.

Imagine being born into serfdom during the Middle Ages with no room to climb up the social ladder.
Yep, no climbing social ladders before 1999 -those heroic Indians, showed the rest of us that social mobility has no barriers.

Last edited by Joe90; 07-10-2017 at 03:09 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 06:20 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
The G-20 is more than half the world's population, so the other half must be the smaller half?

Medicine is just another product -it benefits the people who sell it, as well as the people who buy it.

The G-20 was formed in 1999. Increased stability was was a trend established well before then.

I'll have to write a letter to the Saudis, thanking them for all their military protection, and one to the Indonesians, thanking them for all the aid. Better not forgot those noble Turks and their wonderful world program that I'm leeching off, or the Chinese and their wonderful (human rights?) initiatives

I would still like to see examples of how the G-20 carries the rest of the world - ones that don't involve commerce, or organisations other than the G-20.

Yep, no climbing social ladders before 1999 -those heroic Indians, showed the rest of us that social mobility has no barriers.
But commerce plays an important role in society, maybe even the biggest. You can't just write it off as an afterthought.

My Middle Ages example was to show that things were very brutal in the past, yet the Middle Ages are often romanticised. It was not an attempt to pinpoint an exact date at which social progress started happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World