Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated languages?
Italian 11 21.57%
Spanish 11 21.57%
French 23 45.10%
Japanese 5 9.80%
English 8 15.69%
Esperanto 13 25.49%
Russian 5 9.80%
Swedish 5 9.80%
Others (mention them) 6 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM

210 posts, read 199,981 times

Advertisements

Given how widespread it is in schools and how useful it is, French is the most overrated language there is. Japanese is close behind: it has gained a respectable popularity, yet the motivation to learn it is often confined to reading manga. I can see Chinese is the overrated language rising star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 05:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The problem with Chinese is that you have to learn two different spoken languages that use the same written language. Mandarin is what most think of but if you want to communicate with Chinese in most western cities, well, at least North American ones, Cantonese is going to be the most common and more useful. Internationally, Mandarin will be the business language unless you travels take you to Hong Kong where again, Cantonese is the language.
That's old.

Nowadays all young people in Hong Kong are fluent in Mandarin. Even many older people are.
Most Chinatown people speak Mandarin too.

Also, being able to communicate with people in mainland China and Taiwan is much more important than talking to Chinatown immigrants.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:16 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Python. Terrible language--syntax that relies on whitespace, two major competing versions (2 vs. 3), mediocre debugger--I really don't understand why it is so popular :-/
Because it is so much easier to write and read than other mainstream languages.

When I did a course project. I wrote 300 lines' Python code and it ran perfectly.
Another student used C++ and wrote over 1200 lines, and still had issues.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:26 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I voted "other". I don't think there's a certain language that's overrated, but the way language is used in certain instances is overrated:

Example 1: Lawyers using latin terminology to sound brilliant or try to think they are "outsmarting" someone:

"You must cease and desist or beware the power of certiorari. Don't think I won't summarily force a writ of mandamus to prevail! You are incorrect, by reasons de facto! If you keep pushing the issue, I will be forced to instigate habeas corpus, with the imminent threat of additional billable hours ad infinitum."

Example 2: Overuse of acronyms, especially with people who are outside of the bubble of people that uses them:

"If you're preparing a TPS report, be sure to consult with a CRT certified SMO and determine if the RFID is adequate for your budgetary RFQ."

Example 3: Text speak, especially that with superfluous acronyms and little substance when translated...."HMU...TMI...LOL....next-- bed...ZZZZ...LOL my peeps ROFL luv ya ."

Last edited by Jowel; 07-11-2017 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 12:35 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Most overrated in terms of appeal: Spanish. Not a fan of the way it sounds.

Most overhyped: Mandarin. The economy and population arguments are crap because the reality is that most foreigners quit after a while. They are all "Chinese will be useful!" and then do nothing to take their proficiency to the next level.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:22 AM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Given how widespread it is in schools and how useful it is, French is the most overrated language there is. Japanese is close behind: it has gained a respectable popularity, yet the motivation to learn it is often confined to reading manga. I can see Chinese is the overrated language rising star
Learning a new language to appreciate another country's cultural output is a perfectly legitimate. What I find overrated is people touting the practical benefits of learning a foreign language besides English.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:11 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Most overrated in terms of appeal: Spanish. Not a fan of the way it sounds.

Most overhyped: Mandarin. The economy and population arguments are crap because the reality is that most foreigners quit after a while. They are all "Chinese will be useful!" and then do nothing to take their proficiency to the next level.
For achieving full proficiency, maybe. But learning Mandarin to some degree is useful in some situations. China is still a major industrial hub and Chinese people has in general low proficiency in English.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
I think French is overrated, at least in Washington state, French classes are offered in every high school along with Spanish, and then some schools offer German, Japanese and a few other classes but they were the exception. French classes are a relic from a time when French was the lingua franca of the world, but that is no longer the case, so I don't think that every school should be so hard pressed to try and teach French, and perhaps try to offer other languages instead. French today is basically the equivalent of Latin back in the early 1900s, a lot of people study it, but almost never end up applying it in a useful manner except to sound smart and cool. I still think French is an important major language, but it's just overhyped, it's about as important as German these days and nobody makes a huge fuss to learn German these days. The languages offered at a local community college include English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Japanese, and Chinese (I'm assuming Mandarin) and at few others they offer German and Italian and some have even less languages. The most common in the community colleges are Spanish, French, Chinese (I'm assuming Mandarin), and Japanese, the others depend on the school.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:29 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Learning a new language to appreciate another country's cultural output is a perfectly legitimate. What I find overrated is people touting the practical benefits of learning a foreign language besides English.
I had a guy in another thread tell me to appreciate a country's culture you have to learn their language. I really don't agree with that and Asia needs an official language, which it never will have. So I'm not going to bother learning any Asian language period unless I thought I was going to move to one of them.

English and Spanish are the 2 most important languages, plain and simple. No one cares about Mandarin or Japanese outside of their own countries.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:01 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
That's old.

Nowadays all young people in Hong Kong are fluent in Mandarin. Even many older people are.
Most Chinatown people speak Mandarin too.

Also, being able to communicate with people in mainland China and Taiwan is much more important than talking to Chinatown immigrants.
Not true.

Cantonese v Mandarin: When Hong Kong languages get political - BBC News

Cantonese still remains the most important language there, and there is still is some resistance to Mandarin, even among the young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World