Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated languages?
Italian 11 21.57%
Spanish 11 21.57%
French 23 45.10%
Japanese 5 9.80%
English 8 15.69%
Esperanto 13 25.49%
Russian 5 9.80%
Swedish 5 9.80%
Others (mention them) 6 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:08 PM

387 posts, read 380,011 times

Advertisements

Mattks : I did not say that against you. It was just to clarify.

I know that many think that French should not be as much taught but for me if it's like that, it is primarily because there is a demand on the part of the populations whatever the reasons.

Maybe it's irational. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 02:22 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
I know that in Africa there is a very high demand for French teacher. Particularly in Nigeria, which is surrounded by francophone countries.
Most of the demand for it is in third world countries. In all respect, I doubt many people are going to learn French so they can become a teacher in Nigeria.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Languages by percent of second language speakers to native speakers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...er_of_speakers

Swahili: 513%
Malay: 265%
French: 240%
English: 102%
Persian: 102%
Hausa: 76%
Russian: 72%
Hindustani: 49%
Arabic: 46%
Italian: 31%
Turkish: 31%
Mandarin: 20%
Spanish: 14%
Portuguese: 14%
German: 13%
Japanese: 8%
Bengali: 8%

Mandarin is compulsory in all schools of China. So the 20% data is highly inaccurate.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:17 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Mandarin is compulsory in all schools of China. So the 20% data is highly inaccurate.
the second language speakers are 20% the size of native speakers, maybe I should've done it by percent of total.

Swahili: 84%
Malay: 73%
French: 71%
English: 50%
Persian: 50%
Hausa: 43%
Russian: 42%
Hindustani: 33%
Arabic: 31%
Italian: 24%
Turkish: 24%
Mandarin: 17%
Spanish: 12%
Portuguese: 12%
German: 12%

furthermore why wouldn't there be a lot of second language speakers of mandarin? China has a large Cantonese population, and they all have to learn Mandarin, or are you claiming that the percentage should be much higher?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:36 AM

2,853 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is plausible if they consider regional dialects like Cantonese and Shanghainese as first languages.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I had a guy in another thread tell me to appreciate a country's culture you have to learn their language. I really don't agree with that and Asia needs an official language, which it never will have. So I'm not going to bother learning any Asian language period unless I thought I was going to move to one of them.

English and Spanish are the 2 most important languages, plain and simple. No one cares about Mandarin or Japanese outside of their own countries.
I'm not saying you need to learn a country's language to appreciate it's culture. You can watch anime that's subbed or dubbed. But if you want to take it to the next level you need to learn the language which for one would take you beyond what's translated.

Spanish is only important in the Western hemisphere but is next to useless in Asia and Africa so it's not as plain and simple as you make it.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:57 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'm not saying you need to learn a country's language to appreciate it's culture. You can watch anime that's subbed or dubbed. But if you want to take it to the next level you need to learn the language which for one would take you beyond what's translated.

Spanish is only important in the Western hemisphere but is next to useless in Asia and Africa so it's not as plain and simple as you make it.
I agree to take it to the highest level you would have to travel somewhere more than once and know the language at least some. However, as you said and I think we agree, it's about practicality which is what I said in the other thread. Asia has too many languages.

I'm not going to study 20 different languages just because I'm studying 20 different countries and will probably visit all 20 of them. I will try and learn the basics, but that's it until I found a 2nd country outside of the US that I deemed a favorite.

Most of us in the US are encouraged to learn Spanish as a second language if we are going to learn one.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
the second language speakers are 20% the size of native speakers, maybe I should've done it by percent of total.

Swahili: 84%
Malay: 73%
French: 71%
English: 50%
Persian: 50%
Hausa: 43%
Russian: 42%
Hindustani: 33%
Arabic: 31%
Italian: 24%
Turkish: 24%
Mandarin: 17%
Spanish: 12%
Portuguese: 12%
German: 12%

furthermore why wouldn't there be a lot of second language speakers of mandarin? China has a large Cantonese population, and they all have to learn Mandarin, or are you claiming that the percentage should be much higher?
Cantonese is not even the second largest in China, in terms of population. It's over-represented in some western countries.

China has 1.3 billion people, and at most 0.7 billion speak Mandarin as the first language. If Mandarin refers to "standard Mandarin", the official language, probably only 0.2 billion speak it as the first language. You see the point?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
It is plausible if they consider regional dialects like Cantonese and Shanghainese as first languages.
No it's not for this reason. Not so many people speak Mandarin as their first language.
And "Mandarin" is a very vague term with different meanings. For example, Chongqing dialect can be considered Mandarin too, but it is not full intelligeable to those who speak standard Mandarin only.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
Because there is a demand, especially in China that wants to do buisness in Africa. But also of people who appreciate the French culture.

A language is more than business it is also glamor, travel, another way of seeing things, open to another literature, music, film etc.

I know that in Africa there is a very high demand for French teacher. Particularly in Nigeria, which is surrounded by francophone countries.
Italian is on the same level as French in glamour and cultural appeal but isn't taught as widely. I'm sure the demand is there for French but that does not explain its ubiquity in American high schools.
I really doubt many people learn French to do business in Africa, at least not in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World