Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 04:04 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Except that things magically started turning around once Putin came to power...
It's been pretty steady since at least 1998. I admire his nationalist spirit, but it's odd that a metro liberal such as yourself speaks so highly of him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Not QUITE true, sorry to say.
Yeltsin had things to work with too; he had his chance to become one of the greatest and popular leaders in Russian history. Initially he had overwhelming support of Russian population ( after all he was a truly democratically-elected leader,) and he did have a good economic adviser in his team to begin with.
The problem with Yeltsin though was a fact that he was a typical product of the Soviet system - i.e. he was thoroughly indoctrinated by it, he was very unworldly and didn't understand much either in international affairs or free market economy. So both sides of his presidency ( his popularity and his shortcomings) were shrewdly used by Americans.
They were literally sitting in Kremlin, creating the new laws, which he was signing as presidential decrees.
He was very gullible and from what I know, when he saw the results of economic reforms ( pushed through by none other but him,) he was shocked. If ever the expression "the road to hell is paved with best intentions" was true, that was the case.
Putin of course was the whole different story...
I just agreed with one of your previous posts, and now you're ranting at me?

Old 07-14-2017, 04:13 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I just agreed with one of your previous posts, and now you're ranting at me? I swear that most people on this forum have mental health issues...
Let's try one more time, before you get into my "mental problems" again)))
So here it goes -

Quote:
Exactly, if Putin came into power during the era of chaos, like Yeltsin did, then he would also be looked back on as a poor leader. You can only work with what you have, and Yeltsin had very little to work with.
Not quite true.
He had plenty of possibilities to turn things around in the most positive way for the country, ( even without the high prices on oil,) but he failed, and failed miserably at that. So often mentioned "chaos" of the nineties in Russia was actually of his own making.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:08 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
It's been pretty steady since at least 1998. I admire his nationalist spirit, but it's odd that a metro liberal such as yourself speaks so highly of him
I disagree with many things he did, but I appreciate how much he has improved Russia. Also knowing that he won't allow Russia to become a playground for Western corporations. If I was Putin I would go farther and kick out all Western corporations that are already in the country, except for some like IKEA. Russia should grow its own system of entrepreneurship and have its own businesses. Like what Evo Morales did for Bolivia

Old 07-14-2017, 09:20 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
This was Moscow in the 90's under Yeltsin...

This is Moscow today under Putin...
Yet dissidents are cracked down in the new Russia. Protests against the regime is forbidden. Even publishing articles that is critical of the regime is not allowed either. At least in places such as the USA you are allowed to protest against the government, or be outspoken against Trump. Also Russia has cracked down on religious activities, and there are other things Russia has cracked down on and it due to protect the Russian Government from any dissident activities. Russia has become autocratic and not a democracy.

Russian economy is not doing that well either, and the country is highly dependent on oil exports, and with the reduction in the last few years of oil prices it has negatively impacted the Russian economy.

Lets not forget the threat of terrorism in Russia is just as high today as during 1990s as after all there already been terrorist attacks in St Petersburg this year.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
None so far but there is still more than 80 years to go...
I'm still optimistic

Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Let's try one more time, before you get into my "mental problems" again)))
So here it goes -
Haha, I think I may have had one too many beers when I suggested that you have mental health issues

Old 07-14-2017, 11:57 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
Quote:
You have to somehow shoehorn Spain into absolutely everything

Old 07-15-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Am I wrong?

Make the case for José María Aznar being the greatest leader of the 21st century.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
Quote:
Am I wrong?

Make the case for José María Aznar being the greatest leader of the 21st century.
lol, people pointing out the president of Chile, of Nigeria, of Fiji, etc and you stick just at my comment ? wtf??

Many users said the biggest/best leader from their own locale, not for the whole world. Yes, Aznar made Spain important, made it the 8th world's economy when he left as prime minister. lol...

Aznar had pretty much influence in Europe specially from 2000 to 2004, he also played a major role in the war against Irak and the EU occupation, so yes, definetly he was the greatest Spanish leader.

That's why I specifically mentioned Spain, not on the world lol. As others did on their own locales, I don't consider no one to be a world leader. Maybe George Bush was at a time the closest to be a world leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World