Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
It's because American universities are competitive and we are raised to be competitive, which is a good thing.
Says who? Come on it's an annoying quality but generally entertaining, but honestly the competitiveness of some other cultures and the hierarchical nature of the rich from poor countries comes across as really disgusting in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Says who? Come on it's an annoying quality but generally entertaining, but honestly the competitiveness of some other cultures and the hierarchical nature of the rich from poor countries comes across as really disgusting in my opinion.
Competition is great for innovation and I admire Americans for that, but I think a society will eventually become dysfunctional when its people don't balance individual aspirations with care for how their society performs overall.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's not necessary THEIR university - just a shirt with logo. Like people wearing a shirt with Coca-cola logo, or American flag, baggy shorts and flip-flops are easy to spot in the crowd. People with tattoos, although some Australians like tattoos too.
This comment puzzles me. How are any of those traits unique to Americans?

People buy shirts based off of what they like. You seen a lot of Coke or American flag shirts because they are common. I've seen plenty of people wear them.

Baggy shorts are also worn for comfort.

Flip flops are common in places where the weather permits it. In Australia people live in them in summer.

Like Return2FL said, tattoos are very common nowadays as the negative stigma attached to them has dissipated.

The only way to truly pick out an American is through the accent, and even then it's not always that easy. Every other point is completely moot.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:53 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Are you also raised to be open? You meet Steve from North Carolina and he shares personal details about his life (including health and financial issues) within 5 minutes.

The openness some Americans have with strangers is interesting. You're very confident, open and friendly people.
I deal with a lot of fairly wealthy people. Almost none of them discuss the details of their finances with me, except in highly personal situations. My own personal financial details get shared with my wife, my accountant, the bank and the IRS. Nobody else needs to know.

Health is another story. Many Americans have no issue with their throwing their health details out there right away. I don't see it as a big deal. Americans also tend to be very open with mental health issues.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Being competitive does not preclude one from being compassionate. Let's not forget that Americans, on a personal level, are some of the most philanthropic people in the world.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:09 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Americans are actually very easy to spot abroad by the Canadian flags they put on their jackets and backpacks.
I don't know anyone that does that. If they don't like the U.S., they can move, if someone from another country doesn't like the U.S. they can kiss my arse and they're probably just jealous. I've never told anyone I was from Canada when in another country.

It's pretty much common knowledge that the most annoying and obnoxious tourists are Europeans and Asians.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Men. Pressed dress-shirts and khaki pants, and hair that looks like it comes from an old Brylcreem commercial.
This surprises me, I wouldn't have guessed that American men are "pressed" and well dressed.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The only way to truly pick out an American is through the accent, and even then it's not always that easy. Every other point is completely moot.
Interesting... What other world accents are easily confused with American?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Interesting... What other world accents are easily confused with American?
Canadian accents. Most people who are not American or Canadian cannot tell us apart unless they are very tuned into accents.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
comparing everything with ways back home, and criticizing "strange" customs and cultural differences.
This is a double edged sword. I used to work for my American university's foreign student union which was a gathering point for students from all over the world who were in the US for the first time. We had programs to introduce them to American foods and culture as well as trips around the city to familiarize them with the mundane practicalities of how to get along in everyday life while studying and living in the US.

Although I really liked most of our students, the quote above describes most of them to a 'T'. Everything from food to clothes to shopping, to traffic, everything imaginable, was compared, criticized, and even mocked. The one comment I heard a lot that defied the stereotype was that 'average Americans were not as fat as they thought they would be'. The French and Germans were the worst about it. Norwegians and Swedes were far more laid back and accepting of 'Americanness'. Obviously the Brits and Australians rarely made it past the first meeting because they were more independent in the American setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
If they wore clothing with a slimmer fit and didn't speak as loud, they wouldn't be noticeable.
I always wonder when concerning how loud Americans are, how Europeans would react if they were confronted with a certain subset of Americans, the Latinos of the Caribbean, especially Afro-Latinos like Dominicans. They make the type of mainstream Americans one might encounter touristing around Europe seem like they have taken a vow of silence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World