Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Reputation: 11937

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
The stranger who says "Hello" to you in an elevator (outside the US), is most likely an American.
...and the one that says " bonjour " is most likely French...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
You're missing the point. Yes, statistical data shows that Americans are more obese on average than Canadians or Europeans but it doesn't mean that those are exclusively American traits. There are plenty of fat people all over.

The problem is that most of those stereotypes such as fat, loud, ignorant... are used to portray Americans in a negative way, but completely ignore the fact that many people fall into it.

For example, Americans are considered bad at geography, yet I find people who are clueless about it all the time. It's simply an issue of them not caring about it. I'm good at geography because I'm into it, not because I'm Canadian. Most of my friends are bad at geography because they find it dull.

If you say anything stupid, you are apparently a "clueless American". Everyone else of course is a walking prodigy.
No, you missed MY point.

I was be facetious in my response to Return2FL. Whose point was he doesn't need studies, or stats. His view is that what he sees is the truth, and the only truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Reputation: 11650
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
The stranger who says "Hello" to you in an elevator (outside the US), is most likely an American.
"How y'all doin'" pushes that likelihood up to 100%!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:47 AM
 
Location: SC
8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Reputation: 12992
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
The stranger who says "Hello" to you in an elevator (outside the US), is most likely an American.
I have a friend who told me that in Russia, a stranger who smiles at you, want to become intimate; so when he got here to America he was shocked and couldn't figure out why all these strangers - men and women - were smile at him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
So if we want to play the statistics game, the US is the 18th most obese country in the world and according to statistics, 4.5% more Americans are obese than Canadians, per capita. Yuge difference, right? When it comes to simply being overweight, Americans, Mexicans and Canadians are within the margin of error. So much for the false narratives of Americans being in a different universe of fatness, loudness, rudeness, drunkeness and carrying big cupness.

My personal eyeball test tells me that Americans, Northern Europeans and Canadians are equally fat. Latin Americans are fatter.


The morbidly obese thing is American for sure, but such people are fairly rare and it's regional/socioeconomic. Because Americans love their reality TV, others think that we see such people on every corner.
Here's an new article.

One-third of world now overweight, with US leading the way - CNN.com

Obesity and it's causes differ. I suspect in places like New Zealand it's high because of aboriginal populations genetics??

Morbidly obese people in the US is far more common ( uses your methodology, meaning what I see ).

People should keep in mind, that the definition of obesity is about 20 percent over your proper body weight.

The stats that I can't find so far, are the morbidly obese rates by country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"How y'all doin'" pushes that likelihood up to 100%!
LOL Ya, it would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Reputation: 39038
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
The stranger who says "Hello" to you in an elevator (outside the US), is most likely an American.
In the part of America I am from, the stranger who says "Hello" to you in an elevator is most likely a serial killer who is about to hit the emergency stop button, unzip your abdomen with a knife and eat your still beating heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:00 PM
 
1,147 posts, read 718,148 times
Reputation: 750
I agree that Americans generally seem larger, but it's harsh to insult them for that.

I think that poor food regulations and the inefficiency of travelling without a car hasn't been productive for their society.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 07-18-2017 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 AM
 
2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Reputation: 1988
The Ugly American stereotype is embarrassing. Something to avoid if traveling abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
I agree that Americans generally seem larger, but it's harsh to insult them for that.

I think that poor food regulations and the inefficiency of travelling without a car hasn't been productive for their society.
Proper labelling. A pet peeve of mine. In Canada we can do better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top