Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:58 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,175,933 times

Advertisements

If a person was walking down the street in your country, do you think you could identify him or her as a citizen of the United States Of America (or strongly suspect that they might be) before they announced their citizenship?

How? Do Americans look a certain way? By their dress, style, ball caps, sports jerseys, accent, jewelry, or any other types of markers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:47 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
My general sentiment is that, in terms of dress and look, there is a neutral "middle" across western countries into which a fairly strong majority of people will fit. It's the minority of outliers than make us think that people in country or city X dress differently. That's where you find things that people in certain places are unlikely to wear, or are pretty much only worn in certain places.

Regarding the OP more specifically, I live about 100 km from the U.S., and so as you can imagine there is a lot of commonality in the "middle" between them and us.

That said there are some differences especially when you consider that I live in French-speaking Quebec.

For example, one look that a number of American women wear that you'd basically never see on local women here is the hair tucked up under a ball cap, a t-shirt, bermuda shorts, and bobby socks with New Balance (style) running shoes.

If I see someone who looks like that here, I know she's not a francophone from Quebec. Almost certainly from the U.S. or maybe from "Anglo-"Canada.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:50 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,712,093 times
Generally pretty easy -there's a style of clothing that sets them apart, if they're visitors.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:54 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,030,536 times
drives pick up truck;
tattoos of putin;
cross;
goaty;
looks 15% asian and 20% mexican.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:01 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Where I live, based on this picture, the two "looks" you're least likely to see on locals are the two on the right. Especially the one on Adam Sandler (far right). All three looks to the left are very common. Even the look of the guy with the bucket on his head is fairly common. That's what a lot of our slobby dressers dress like here.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 PM

61,854 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Generally pretty easy -there's a style of clothing that sets them apart, if they're visitors.
^^^ This PLUS ways of eating food, and drinking liquids (straight of a bottle or can), requesting tap water with lots of ice, and lots of ice cubes in every drink, ever present drink in the hand (water bottle or gigantic cup), fanny packs around the waist, 3" fake nails, super bright teeth, addressing people informal, trying to tip everyone, most of the times you hear them before you see them, people who shout to each other instead to walk to the person to talk, all that OMG, Oh man, and F***, comparing everything with ways back home, and criticizing "strange" customs and cultural differences.
Back to clothing habits that are easy to spot: adult people dressing childishly.
That's just few to list, and of course every country/culture have their habits that are easy to spot.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:56 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,054,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ This PLUS ways of eating food, and drinking liquids (straight of a bottle or can), requesting tap water with lots of ice, and lots of ice cubes in every drink, ever present drink in the hand (water bottle or gigantic cup), fanny packs around the waist, 3" fake nails, super bright teeth, addressing people informal, trying to tip everyone, most of the times you hear them before you see them, people who shout to each other instead to walk to the person to talk, all that OMG, Oh man, and F***, comparing everything with ways back home, and criticizing "strange" customs and cultural differences.
Back to clothing habits that are easy to spot: adult people dressing childishly.
That's just few to list, and of course every country/culture have their habits that are easy to spot.
You see that from Americans outside of the US? I don't, especially Americans with giant cups abroad. I rarely even see such Americans in the US. Other than comparing things to back home and drinking straight from the bottle or can, most of the above is a made up stereotype. Most of the Americans I run into outside of the country are extremely polite, almost to a fault.

I'm very good at picking out Americans and Canadians overseas, but since Americans are not supposed to answer, I refrain from saying how. Interesting though, that many of the Swiss could pass as Americans and vice versa.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,937,999 times
Americans are actually very easy to spot abroad by the Canadian flags they put on their jackets and backpacks.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:42 PM

1,147 posts, read 719,467 times
They usually speak louder and wear baggier clothes.

If they spoke softer and wore clothes with a slimmer fit, no one would notice them.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 07-11-2017 at 04:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 04:54 PM

1,147 posts, read 719,467 times
If they wore clothing with a slimmer fit and didn't speak as loud, they wouldn't be noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World