Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Underrated:

Belgium
Slovakia
South Korea

I chose these countries because I don't think they spring to mind when people think of "bucket list" destinations but each of them is truly beautiful and interesting, with unique cities, great food, and pleasant people. Terrific vacation destinations, but they each also seem like they could truly be a terrific place to live one's life.

I didn't put any countries down as "overrated" because everyone knows that's just a way to bash a particular country and I don't feel the need to do that.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:57 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Overrated:
UK
France
Spain

Underrated:
Portugal
Greece
Vietnam
Singapore
Portugal is overrated too...

Last edited by ase42dv; 07-13-2017 at 06:36 AM..

Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 AM

810 posts, read 667,180 times
Overrated:

1. USA: I live in the US. There's a ton to see and do here but I think European visitors could be underwhelmed outside of the major metro areas such as NYC, DC, LA, Chicago, etc. Too many chain restaurants and strip malls. Not a lot of history. No high speed rail.

Underrated:

1. Costa Rica: Much cheaper than typical Caribbean islands. Same tropical beaches but with better food. There are volcanos, parrots, rain forests, snorkeling, and monkeys too. The zipline is unparalleled near Arenal volcano. You can have an adventure here instead of sitting on a guarded beach 7 days and pay half the price.

2. Portugal: Cheap and beautiful albeit a little rough around the edges. Lisbon to me is like a poor man's Paris. It was built on 7 hills like Rome with sweeping views. Olives and cheese before meals is so good.

3. Mexico: Nobody ever visits the REAL Mexico outside of beachside resorts that cater to Americans and English speakers. Mexico City and Puebla were fascinating places featuring excellent colonial architecture and world class cuisine. Aztec ruins are a must see.

4. Ireland: Beautiful country yet always in the shadows of England and the rest of the UK. While Dublin isn't the global heavyweight that London is the pub culture is vibrant, the people very friendly, and the landscape (especially in the west) is seriously stunning. Seeing crumbling castle ruins surrounded by grazing sheep as you drive through the country was both amazing yet haunting.

5. Belgium: Belgium is a country that has some really beautiful cities with compact, picturesque, city centers but doesn't get a lot of attention outside of Bruges. I love the beer, waffles and chocolate.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 AM

779 posts, read 595,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Compared to Spain, Portugal is vastly underrated.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:09 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
With 10 million visitors, Portugal is quite underrated. It could reach 15/20 with a better marketing...
Portugal has 4.5 less inhabitants than Spain but 7.5 less tourists.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:36 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Mod cut. It is obvious that not a lot of people know about Portugal and everybody knows about Spain. Portugal is just being discovered whilst Spain has been in the spotlight of tourism for years.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-15-2017 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Rude and off-topic.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:22 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
Portugal seems shockingly poor and undeveloped by Western Europe standards. By HDI it is starting to fall behind some Eastern European as well as Latin American countries

Old 07-13-2017, 09:33 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Portugal seems shockingly poor and undeveloped by Western Europe standards. By HDI it is starting to fall behind some Eastern European as well as Latin American countries
So what? This is about overrated and underrated nations not countries' level of wealth.
It is the poorest country in Western Europe however it is much better than most of the world.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Overrated:

1. USA: I live in the US. There's a ton to see and do here but I think European visitors could be underwhelmed outside of the major metro areas such as NYC, DC, LA, Chicago, etc. Too many chain restaurants and strip malls. Not a lot of history. No high speed rail.
It would depend on what they're looking for. If they like outdoorsy things and nature... to experience that in the US you have to leave the cities.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:57 AM

27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Portugal is a nice country, some good beaches, nice resorts, good golf courses etc.

Whilst Lisbon is currently one of the most fashionable places to visit.

What to do in Lisbon: Why the Portuguese capital is Europe's best summer city break | The Independent

How down-at-heel Lisbon became the new capital of cool | Guardian

On the waterfront: Lisbon's riverside regeneration - Guardian

Why Lisbon Is One of the Coolest Cities in Europe - Esquire

Lisbon might be Europe's coolest city; 7 reasons why - CNN.com

Madonna House Hunting in Lisbon Adds to Rising Price Fears - Bloomberg

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-13-2017 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World