Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:06 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I guess what OP means over-rated and under-rated is if the country exceeds or falls below your expectation after you travel there.

I would say US can be over-rated or under-rated. It depends on how you travel. For example, if you need to get on domestic flight like United to traverse US by flying NYC->Chicago->Dallas->Denver->SFO, you will definitely say US is over-rated.

But if you rent a RV and travel at leisure for a month in US, you will likely say US is under-rated.
Me thinks it's the other way around. Places like Boston and Queens in the US are very underrated. Queens has astonishingly good cuisine from any side of the world, if you are a foodie then Queens is a must! Boston then has an astonishing downtown, it is absolutely amazing and if you go to the US, you must see Boston

Old 07-13-2017, 03:15 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Most of the time you rate a country or region by comparing subconsciously with the place where you live.

I consider the Caribbean very very over-rated. Once I was on a cruise to Caribbean, I heard the couple next room bragging to the cruise staff that they have been to the Caribbean for over ten times. I just wonder if they have anywhere else better to go?

But I forget that I compare Caribbean with where I live -- Hawaii. I guess if I live in East Coast, I may travel as often to Caribbean as that couple does.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:22 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Me thinks it's the other way around. Places like Boston and Queens in the US are very underrated. Queens has astonishingly good cuisine from any side of the world, if you are a foodie then Queens is a must! Boston then has an astonishing downtown, it is absolutely amazing and if you go to the US, you must see Boston
I have been to Boston couple times. Some neighborhoods of Boston are like London of 19th century and actually better preserved than London itself.

What I mean is the mode of transportation if he wants to do extensive travel within US.

Unless the tourist drives himself (but it is not advisable especially in cities like Boston and NYC), most likely he has to board domestic airlines like UA or AA which is a torturing experience.

But in Europe, Japan or China, travelers have other options like High Speed Rail which is enjoyable and relaxing.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:27 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Compared to Spain, yes, but they can't be compared. Also Taiwan is vastly underrated compared to Spain, but it's senseless to compare them, just as Portugal and Spain.

Spain is much more varied, much bigger and it has got much more landscapes and environments to look to, as well as much more diversity in the architecture or monuments.

But still, this is normal due to the size of both countries. And Spain is underrated to be really honest, because 3/4 of tourists come to Spain just to enjoy the beaches and the warmth/sun, but not the marvelous things which Spain can offer. Spain is the most varied country in climates (by far) from Europe. From the only European desert to very subtropical laurel forests near Cádiz to almost 3.500 alpine peaks to extremely dense oceanic decidious forests in the north to Switzerland looking landscapes in the outskirts of the Pyrenees (seek for higher altitude towns of Huesca, Lleida, etc)

That's just if you love landscapes and nature. If you like more cultural tourism, or the visitting/historical one, also Spain is amongst the top 3 of the most varied countries in Europe in architecture (together with France and Italy) as well as it's the 2nd country in the world with the biggest number of UNESCO heritage sites. In fact The Traveler just rated Spain again, for the 2nd following year, as the best country to visit in the world.

It is underrated because the best places of Spain are barely known, 3/4 of tourists just limit to go to the beaches. Fortunately, every year it's growing more and more the landscape or cultural tourism.
In terms of a tourism destination, Spain is not even close to being underrated.

In terms of a place to live, it's probably a bit overrated. There's plenty of places that can match the climate and lifestyle, but also provide a better quality of life. Australia, for example.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:01 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
Quote:
Compared to Spain, yes, but they can't be compared. Also Taiwan is vastly underrated compared to Spain, but it's senseless to compare them, just as Portugal and Spain.

Spain is much more varied, much bigger and it has got much more landscapes and environments to look to, as well as much more diversity in the architecture or monuments.

But still, this is normal due to the size of both countries. And Spain is underrated to be really honest, because 3/4 of tourists come to Spain just to enjoy the beaches and the warmth/sun, but not the marvelous things which Spain can offer. Spain is the most varied country in climates (by far) from Europe. From the only European desert to very subtropical laurel forests near Cádiz to almost 3.500 alpine peaks to extremely dense oceanic decidious forests in the north to Switzerland looking landscapes in the outskirts of the Pyrenees (seek for higher altitude towns of Huesca, Lleida, etc)

That's just if you love landscapes and nature. If you like more cultural tourism, or the visitting/historical one, also Spain is amongst the top 3 of the most varied countries in Europe in architecture (together with France and Italy) as well as it's the 2nd country in the world with the biggest number of UNESCO heritage sites. In fact The Traveler just rated Spain again, for the 2nd following year, as the best country to visit in the world.

It is underrated because the best places of Spain are barely known, 3/4 of tourists just limit to go to the beaches. Fortunately, every year it's growing more and more the landscape or cultural tourism.
I m specially triggered when it comes to mountains sorry.

Nothing in Spain looks like Swiss Alps. Nothing in Pyrenees, in Sierra Nevada either. Nor villages.

Not the Aneto,Posets, Monte P, Vignemale....Whatever. I climbed all of them (not Posets) and it's not alpine at all.

Only someone that didn't see the Weisshorn or the Dom / Taschhorn by naked eyes can say that

Spanish Pyrenees look like their french sistership (quite normal), or Tatras, or Corsica or P. De Europa (...)
The only serious glacier in Pyrenees on Spanish side is the Maladeta one and let me tell you that its years are counted unfortunately...

To give you an idea, the Ecrins area (in France) has....2 (only) peaks over 4000 m and already 150 peaks over 3000 and 50 over 3500. No need to say that around the Jungfrau or Mönch in Switzerland it's an other planete, or even around the Mischabels mountains.

A bon entendeur

And, you aren't underrated when you have 75/80 million visitors.... That's little bit... Exaggerated.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:17 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
Pokito, I didn't say Swiss Alps but Swiss lookalike landscapes. Not identical of course, but very similar. An example

Mod cut: copyrighted image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
In terms of a tourism destination, Spain is not even close to being underrated.

In terms of a place to live, it's probably a bit overrated. There's plenty of places that can match the climate and lifestyle, but also provide a better quality of life. Australia, for example.
There is a single place matching the climate and lifestyle; SW coast of Cali. There is just one surpassing it: SW Australia, that's all. Plenty? Not even by far... 1 equaling, 1 surpassing. That's a couple lol!

Just check the life expectancy index lol... it doesn't lie. Well, we can also add in the equaling part some parts of Italy too. Of course i'm not referring to all of Spain btw.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-15-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 06:02 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
What do people think of New Zealand? I always wanted to go there, very far from the eastern US though. I heard it's kind of laid back just depends what you're looking for I guess.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:07 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,062 times
Quote:
I'm not offended for nothing, just being realistic...

The Algarve for example is amongst the most overrated regions of Europe. More than elsewhere in Spain or France... (As according to you both France and Spain are in your overrate list) reasons for Algarve? Not a good climate (you go a bit inland and summers are very, very hot, in most of the coast the summer nights are very muggy) cold water temperature as it's the ocean, mostly dry places, full of mosquitoes, extremely crowded... nah.

It barely has 2 beautiful beaches. In fact if you seek Algarve in Google, half of the first 15-20 pics will be of the Marina beach.

Your argument is not valid. Spain and France have a loooot more to offer than Portugal, that's why they're much more known and appreciated. Come on, Portugal barely has a bit of diversity and it's not that much even in landscapes or architecture. - Not much to see there.

I always defend Portugal and Portuguese people, as well for the "they're poor" urban legend I always unmount that argument. Besides, you can't compare France or Spain to Portugal lol, is like comparing Germany to Austria...

Besides the zone of Porto is underrated, I do agree, as other Portuguese zones. Lisbon doesn't seem very interesting to visit too tbh, besides Porto it is, as well as Madeira or Açores. It's my opinion, I'm sorry if I offended you...
The Algarve does not represent the whole of Portugal in any way. Besides it is not all concrete and high rose towers unlike the Spanish or French coast. Not to mention how much safer it is. Spainish and French coasts are full of criminals and drunken tourists that disturbs everybody around them as well as rude service from locals. And the Algarve has amazing beaches unlike Southern Spain and France.
Mod cut. It is obvious that way more people boast and love Spain and France than Portugal,so when you visit both countries you get dissapointed quite fast. Also Portugal has a vareity of landscapes in a small country. Shows your ignorance about Portugal.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Rude; off-topic comments.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:20 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
USA is the best country to visit and live and I moved to USA from Sweden. Most nordic countries are over rated to visit, nice places to live but too cold and not enough people and sites to warrant a visit.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:43 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
What do people think of New Zealand? I always wanted to go there, very far from the eastern US though. I heard it's kind of laid back just depends what you're looking for I guess.
I quite like it.

I've talked to plenty of visitors , and some will say that it feels laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World