Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:39 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Most of the time you rate a country or region by comparing subconsciously with the place where you live.

I consider the Caribbean very very over-rated. Once I was on a cruise to Caribbean, I heard the couple next room bragging to the cruise staff that they have been to the Caribbean for over ten times. I just wonder if they have anywhere else better to go?

But I forget that I compare Caribbean with where I live -- Hawaii. I guess if I live in East Coast, I may travel as often to Caribbean as that couple does.
Me too, I always do that for where I live. In some ways the comparisons are better than New York, in other manners are worse

Old 07-14-2017, 02:04 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
The Lake District clearly has good PR. It's a nice place, but I wouldn't even rank it as the most scenic part of the UK. Although I can understand the arguments that it deserves the Unesco status based upon the famous authors, artists, intellectuals, etc. That it has inspired.

There are plenty of very underated and beautiful parts of the UK, however most people only judge the UK on London alone.

From the Scottish Highlands right down to the Jurassic Coast, the country has lots of beautiful towns and villages with local customs, foods, lovely old pubs and splendid architecture coupled with masses of history. Indeed most people no very little about the UK outside of London.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:13 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
never been there but i suspect mexico might be under rated , main rep is for crime but anyone ive met who,s been there just raves about the place

its also very large , with a lot of diversity of landscape , its more important economically than most realise too

Old 07-14-2017, 03:57 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Compared to Spain, yes, but they can't be compared. Also Taiwan is vastly underrated compared to Spain, but it's senseless to compare them, just as Portugal and Spain.

Spain is much more varied, much bigger and it has got much more landscapes and environments to look to, as well as much more diversity in the architecture or monuments.

But still, this is normal due to the size of both countries. And Spain is underrated to be really honest, because 3/4 of tourists come to Spain just to enjoy the beaches and the warmth/sun, but not the marvelous things which Spain can offer. Spain is the most varied country in climates (by far) from Europe. From the only European desert to very subtropical laurel forests near Cádiz to almost 3.500 alpine peaks to extremely dense oceanic decidious forests in the north to Switzerland looking landscapes in the outskirts of the Pyrenees (seek for higher altitude towns of Huesca, Lleida, etc)

That's just if you love landscapes and nature. If you like more cultural tourism, or the visitting/historical one, also Spain is amongst the top 3 of the most varied countries in Europe in architecture (together with France and Italy) as well as it's the 2nd country in the world with the biggest number of UNESCO heritage sites. In fact The Traveler just rated Spain again, for the 2nd following year, as the best country to visit in the world.

It is underrated because the best places of Spain are barely known, 3/4 of tourists just limit to go to the beaches. Fortunately, every year it's growing more and more the landscape or cultural tourism.
I've been to Spain and Portugal, I found Portugal a MUCH nicer experience for a holiday, if I go back to Spain it will be because its cheap.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:06 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If I go back to Spain it will be because its cheap.
Spain is not cheap at all. Portugal is way cheaper just as Greece, Croatia, Cyprus, Turkey etc... Italy for example is almost identical in prices with Spain. Generally talking, as in both countries the north is very expensive.

Yeah, it's cheap if you go with a package including the bus and a crappy hotel in Benidorm for 5 days. Or the same if you go to Ibiza with plane, besides in a club in Ibiza a Mod cut. mixed drink costs 15-20€.

Btw, try to get a decent vacation and the "cheap" word will disappear lmao. The north of Spain is as expensive as England lol... try to see how much things cost in Bilbao or Santander and we'll talk later.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-15-2017 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:18 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,148 times
Portugal is an afterthought. A country that people don't think about much can't be overrated.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:50 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Spain is not cheap at all. Portugal is way cheaper just as Greece, Croatia, Cyprus, Turkey etc... Italy for example is almost identical in prices with Spain. Generally talking, as in both countries the north is very expensive.

Yeah, it's cheap if you go with a package including the bus and a crappy hotel in Benidorm for 5 days. Or the same if you go to Ibiza with plane, besides in a club in Ibiza a [snip] mixed drink costs 15-20€.

Btw, try to get a decent vacation and the "cheap" word will disappear lmao. The north of Spain is as expensive as England lol... try to see how much things cost in Bilbao or Santander and we'll talk later.
portugal is indeed cheaper for a holiday than spain but there is nothing cheap about greece , santorini is incredibly expensive

italy is cheaper than greece

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-15-2017 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-14-2017, 07:07 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
never been there but i suspect mexico might be under rated , main rep is for crime but anyone ive met who,s been there just raves about the place

its also very large , with a lot of diversity of landscape , its more important economically than most realise too
Mexico is indeed beautiful (some parts are downright sad too). Over all, I love it there, but you do have to exercise more caution than many other destinations. The people are great, which has been my experience throughout Latin America as long as you steer clear of the thugs. If Mexico is ever able to its act together, it would quickly become a top destination.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:42 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:

I agree that Mexico is underrated, the crime there is really limited to certain states, altho sadly it has been getting worse again the past few years. There are some cities there with very low crime rates, like Merida, Aguascalientes, Queretaro, Ciudad del Carmen, Guanajato, Puebla, and in these cities you wouldn't have problems. The Northern Mexican Narcostates are where the problems are

Old 07-14-2017, 08:06 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Quote:
portugal is indeed cheaper for a holiday than spain but there is nothing cheap about greece , santorini is incredibly expensive

italy is cheaper than greece
Well, I was referring to Crete, Athens, etc. Many eastern Europeans have their summers there or in Turkey.

Yes what you say it's true, some Greek islands are intended just for high-end tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World