Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:10 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,357,180 times

Advertisements

A lot of Russians indeed travel to Turkey for their summers. Sadly with everything that has been going on in Turkey this might be shortlived

Old 07-14-2017, 08:20 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,628,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
A lot of Russians indeed travel to Turkey for their summers. Sadly with everything that has been going on in Turkey this might be shortlived
Yup, as well as Hungarians, Romanians, Bulgarians...

Did you know that lots of rich Russians pass the summers on Spain since 5-6 years ago? Many also the Christmas and new year's eve.

Thousands of them bought expensive houses for holidays, specially in the Costa Brava, Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol. Although they're starting also to buy in Costa Tropical (Motril, Almuñecar, etc)

You can see plenty of Russian plates in the yacht clubs of Alicante. Of course, the cheapest car of those is a Mercedes ML. All the way up to Gs, Rolls Royces, Maybach, Bentleys, M6, Panamera S, Cayenne S... etc.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:37 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,042,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Yup, as well as Hungarians, Romanians, Bulgarians...
^ they're all in england, which is far from turkey. #brexit.

(I've been to Turkey btw, first place that i visited but Greece seems more popular these days).

Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,250,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Underrated:

Belgium
Slovakia
South Korea

I chose these countries because I don't think they spring to mind when people think of "bucket list" destinations but each of them is truly beautiful and interesting, with unique cities, great food, and pleasant people. Terrific vacation destinations, but they each also seem like they could truly be a terrific place to live one's life.

I didn't put any countries down as "overrated" because everyone knows that's just a way to bash a particular country and I don't feel the need to do that.
Good attitude!

I nominate Portugal as underated. Mrs Bobcat and I visited Seville and Lisbon earlier in the year. Seville was lovely, but Lisbon blew us away. A beautiful setting, great architecture (some of which seems run-down, but I found it only added to its character), some lovely food (Pasties de Nata!), great nightlife (especially in Bairro Alto) and some amazing, friendly people! Also Sintra and its surrounding area just needs to be seen!

The only slight negative about Lisbon was an abundance of what we were trying to escape from - fellow Brits!

Old 07-15-2017, 04:02 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Spain is not cheap at all. Portugal is way cheaper just as Greece, Croatia, Cyprus, Turkey etc... Italy for example is almost identical in prices with Spain. Generally talking, as in both countries the north is very expensive.

Yeah, it's cheap if you go with a package including the bus and a crappy hotel in Benidorm for 5 days. Or the same if you go to Ibiza with plane, besides in a club in Ibiza a [snip] mixed drink costs 15-20€.

Btw, try to get a decent vacation and the "cheap" word will disappear lmao. The north of Spain is as expensive as England lol... try to see how much things cost in Bilbao or Santander and we'll talk later.
As expensive as England! Bloody hell even more reason why Portugal is such a 'nicer' experience.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-15-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 07-15-2017, 04:10 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times
Quote:
I've been holidaying in Turkey in recent years - LOVED IT, my sister has been this year already and will be going again in September, of all the places in the 'bottom' bit of Europe I've been to Turkey has been the best (well that bit of Turkey anyway (in the mountains above Fethiye)), I would rate the Southern Euro countries I've been to (Including Turkey) as follows (best to worst):-

Turkey
Cyprus
Croatia
Portugal
Greece
Spain
Canary Islands

Unfortunately I've never (yet) had the opportunity to travel to Italy.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:04 AM

8,876 posts, read 8,481,834 times
Overrated: East and Southeast Asia in general. Just terribly uninteresting and annoying. Japan is the only exception.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,357,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Overrated: East and Southeast Asia in general. Just terribly uninteresting and annoying. Japan is the only exception.
Blasphemy! You take that back!

Old 07-15-2017, 11:16 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,622,162 times
So many factors can play into this.

Time of year of your visit. I don't recommend coming to Vancouver in November for instance.

Amount of interest that person really has in things like history or wild life? No sense hoping someone is going to love a place if they don't have an interest in what that place has to offer.

Also you can't call a country overrated if you've only visited one or two places...especially large countries.

This is where the US and Canada gets into trouble. Person goes to Toronto and claim they know enough to comment on the whole country.

The question is better if it were broken down into areas, or cities.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:21 AM

8,876 posts, read 8,481,834 times
Quote:
Blasphemy! You take that back!
I was thinking about going on a trip later this year and I didn't want to go somewhere too far, then I realised that not one country in the vicinity interests me in the slightest bit, apart from Japan, but I already went to Japan this February, so in the end I've decided that I'm just gonna stay in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World