Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
New York has seen lots of clubs close, and London is investing heavily in it's night economy. The current Mayor has even stated his ambitions to improve London Night time economy, including clubs and venues, and other European Cities also now have so called Night Mayors. The Night Tube which has been running for over a year now, will be joined by ever more lines including London Overground and the DLR, whilst new night bus routes are also planned.

What Europe's 'Night Mayors' Can Teach New York - The New York Times

Mayor unveils first ever 24-hour vision for London | London City Hall

In terms of clubs, many were really over priced and over rated, and todays generation isn't as clubbing oriented as previous generations, which is why the night time economy needs to become more diverse. Whilst clubs themseves have had to become ever more unique and diverse in order to attract the new generation of clubbers.

Not going out: Why Millennials are no longer going to night clubs | The Independent

'I'd rather chill in and relax': why millennials don't go clubbing | Guardian

Call us boring all you like – millennials are right to hate clubbing - Telegraph

Millennials Have Discovered 'Going Out' Sucks - Vice

Millennial Impact: The Evolution of Nightclubs | Nightclub & Bar Digital

As for skyscrapers London has plenty in areas such as the City and Canary Wharf etc, whilst the UK which was never part of the Schengen Area, wants to take back further control of it's borders post-Brexit.
What he/she meant is that there are no Supertalls (well, barely the Shard (306m), else it's in Moscow only))/megatalls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Lol I thought I was the weird one who hated clubbing. But it's true. Many people think it's lame, but one of the things I like about the US is that the clubs shut down at 2-3am, and I'm not sure how long later I could stand lol. In Argentina or Peru parties continue until dawn and for me I'm 90% asleep by then. Besides if you meet someone early in the night you want to be in a hotel room by 2am, not dancing and getting blackout wasted

Old 09-22-2017, 05:29 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
What he/she meant is that there are no Supertalls (well, barely the Shard (306m), else it's in Moscow only))/megatalls
Supertalls/Megatalls tend to be in the Middle East and Far East, as for skyscrapers cities such as London have quite a few in relation to financial and other districts.

List of tallest buildings and structures in London - Wikipedia

Skyscrapers that will transform London's skyline by 2020 - Business Insider

Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Lol I thought I was the weird one who hated clubbing. But it's true. Many people think it's lame, but one of the things I like about the US is that the clubs shut down at 2-3am, and I'm not sure how long later I could stand lol. In Argentina or Peru parties continue until dawn and for me I'm 90% asleep by then. Besides if you meet someone early in the night you want to be in a hotel room by 2am, not dancing and getting blackout wasted

Totally Agree - the only reason anyone goes clubbing is to meet someone, which is unlikely given the noise, and the whole experience is indeed lame, from the awkward bouncers/doormen refusing people entry, right through to paying a substantial amount to actually get in, then waiting at a busy bar to pay for overpriced watered down drinks, through to standing around in a room listening to deafening often lame music beside an over crowded dance floor (dancing itself is fairly lame imho), right throught to the end of the night when you have to pay for a taxi home or wait for public transport. All in all clubbing is usually an expensive overrated way to spend a night.

The Millennials are right in this case, indeed some cheap wine or beer at a gathering at a house party is probably a better and cheaper way to meet people especially if you are a hard up student, and of course the net and social media have also changed things massively.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-22-2017 at 05:48 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Supertalls/Megatalls tend to be in the Middle East and Far East, as for skyscrapers cities such as London have quite a few in relation to financial and other districts.

List of tallest buildings and structures in London - Wikipedia

Skyscrapers that will transform London's skyline by 2020 - Business Insider
Yes, thats the problem mentioned. Buildings in Europe and -London included-, are extremely modest compare to asian ones or even north American ones.
There are projects everywhere in Europe, none of them reach a significant height compare to world standards as well as...quantity.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Totally Agree - the only reason anyone goes clubbing is to meet someone, which is unlikely given the noise, and the whole experience is indeed lame, from the awkward bouncers/doormen refusing people entry, right through to paying a substantial amount to actually get in, then waiting at a busy bar to pay for overpriced watered down drinks, through to standing around in a room listening to deafening often lame music beside an over crowded dance floor (dancing itself is fairly lame imho), right throught to the end of the night when you have to pay for a taxi home or wait for public transport. All in all clubbing is usually an expensive overrated way to spend a night.

The Millennials are right in this case, indeed some cheap wine or beer at a gathering at a house party is probably a better and cheaper way to meet people especially if you are a hard up student, and of course the net and social media have also changed things massively.
LOL, someone doesn't know how to party properly
If you don't like it, some people do and it's good to have places for real nightlife. I prefer bars, but clubs are funny to forget everything and dance with your friends

Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Some people also enjoy staying out late while having zero interest in clubbing

Old 09-22-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, thats the problem mentioned. Buildings in Europe and -London included-, are extremely modest compare to asian ones or even north American ones.
There are projects everywhere in Europe, none of them reach a significant height compare to world standards as well as...quantity.
Even in New York there are onnly a handful of supertalls, and London currently has half a dozen skyscrapers over 200 metres under construction, which is tall enough imho. London is not Dubai, Hong Kong or Shanghai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto

LOL, someone doesn't know how to party properly
If you don't like it, some people do and it's good to have places for real nightlife. I prefer bars, but clubs are funny to forget everything and dance with your friends
LOL -I fully support the Millennials on this one. I would much rather sit with friends in a nice pub or craft beer bar and talk than have dance music pumped out at a volume designed to give me permanent hearing damage, whilst paying for the privilege ans sipping on over priced watered down drinks. Even as a student, it's cheaper to just meet your friends at someones house and buy some wine from the local supermarket, and chances are the conversation and atmosphere will be better than most nightclubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

There's all kinds of things opening late now, from cinemas and film festivals through to proper live music, museums, shops, gyms, restaurants etc

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-22-2017 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-22-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Yes, and some love to party all night in bars and clubs

Old 09-22-2017, 10:44 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
Well there are some tall buildings under construction is Europe right now.

Lakhta Center, St. Petersburg, Russia: 462 m (1,516 ft)

Akhmat Tower, Grozny, Russia: 435 m (1,427 ft)

Neva Tower 2, Moscow, Russia: 337 m (1,106 ft)

Varsp, Warsaw, Poland: 310 m (1,017 ft)

But yeah you do have a point Europe doesn't have a lot of tall skyscrapers, it only has 6 buildings that are taller than 300 m and even then 5 of those are in Moscow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ings_in_Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World