Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:32 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,342,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
UAE: stereotypically kicking American city ass since 2008;

UAE does not even have cities. They have skyscrapers and malls in the desert with some motorways in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 12:40 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,363,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
UAE: stereotypically kicking American city ass since 2008;

Eastern Europe: "Hostel", the movie;

Italy: Buildings about to collapse + ugly catholic cathedrals;

France: Grape, castles, small cars, perverts 0_0;

Greece: white houses, fat people sitting outside;
Lol spot on about Greece

Netherlands:
Village full of windmills with inhabitants wearing Dutch caps and clogs. Everyone has freckles and speaks with a funny accent

Denmark: Same as above

Australia: Everyone lives in the beach or the outback. Inhabitants are all tan and muscular and have great experience with knives, from learning to protect their homes from giant spiders and regular crocodile invasions. Everyone lives in ranch houses or oceanfront villas

Caribbean: There are no cities, only fancy hotel areas. Coconut and pineapple trees everywhere. Showing up on time is optional

Old 07-18-2017, 12:43 PM

7,272 posts, read 5,310,007 times
I can only speak for the US, my country. There is no one city that can stereotype the entire country. Each region in the country offers a unique perspective. New York City and Los Angeles are big cities on opposite coasts, and are so different from each other. Boston, my hometown, like Philadelphia have historical perspective. Denver in the mountains. The sprawling cities in Texas. Sorry, can't do it in the U.S.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,970,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I can only speak for the US, my country. There is no one city that can stereotype the entire country. Each region in the country offers a unique perspective. New York City and Los Angeles are big cities on opposite coasts, and are so different from each other. Boston, my hometown, like Philadelphia have historical perspective. Denver in the mountains. The sprawling cities in Texas. Sorry, can't do it in the U.S.
yeah but this is about how outsiders perceive American cities, not necessarily accurate, now all theses cities are different, however there are some basic components, almost all major cities in the US consist of a downtown with very tall skyscrapers, some older ones mixed with some new ones, just beyond that you have a few urban neighborhoods with apartments and townhouses and then everything beyond that is cookie cutter suburbia. can you guess what city I described? The answer would be all of them, even NYC and LA.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:20 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,535,636 times
USA: A small inner city with very tall buildings surrounded by suburbia with large houses featuring extensive green lawns.
Britain: Low houses of red bricks.
France: Cities with rich architecture and many low-rise appartment buildings.
Italy and Spain: Same of France, but appartments have balconies more often.
Germany: Small towns have lots of houses in fachwerk; large cities have many low-rise modern buildings.
Japan: Lots and lots of buildings with neon and people everywhere.
China: Inner cities with even more impressive skyscrapers of USA; other areas with many appartment buildings looking all the same.
Brazil: Inner cities feature many mid-rise buildings; other areas have many houses with gates covering the entrance and poor neighbourhoods full of improvised houses built on terracotta bricks.
Argentina: Inner cities look like Europe, other parts look like Brazil.
India: Overcrowded cities with haotic traffic, rubbish everywhere and elephants disputing space with the cars.
Nigeria: Same of India, but without elephants.
South Africa: Some areas look like USA, other areas look like Nigeria.
Chad: Small impoverished villages with no asphalt, sand everywhere and insanely hot climate.
Iraq and Syria: Destroyed cities with desperate and afraid people.
Emirates: Extremely tall buildings, wide avenues and artificial islands.
Tuvalu: Very tiny villages surrounded by sea everywhere.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:49 PM

810 posts, read 670,486 times
Canada: Everyone is a hockey fan; their entire world centers around the NHL. They put maple syrup on everything
Mexico: Most people outside of resort towns live in impoverished dusty villas like in the 3 amigos and eat tacos all day.
Brazil: Thongs on the beach. Shantytowns and petty crime outside of Rio.
UK: Bad teeth. Expensive. Terrible cuisine. Everyone drinks warm beer & loves football. Largely Medieval outside of London.
Ireland: People with red hair drinking Guinness in pubs. Sheep and hills dominate the country.
Scotland: Like Ireland but there are guys playing bagpipes in the hills
Syria: Hell on earth. Scorching heat. Everything blown to bits.
France: Endless wine country with little variation. Chateaus and castles. Some guy wearing a beret holding a baguette
China: Terribly overcrowded cities choking in smog/air pollution. Petite men, most under 5' 9". Fish soup for breakfast
Japan: Samurais and ninjas have showdowns. Everyone under 21 watches anime and eats sushi. All girls have Hello Kitty stuff
Australia: Dusty deserts and friendly people who all look/dress like Paul Hogan from Crocodile Dundee. Sydney is their NYC.
Spain: Everyone takes a siesta, eats dinner at 9PM, and drinks sangria. Flamenco and bullfights are what's important.
Nigeria: Are you kidding me? Geez look at the flies on that one's face. Honey can you get my wallet out of the truck? I'm calling the number on the screen.
Russia: Moscow and St. Petersburg look great. Vodka and Caviar!! The rest of the country might as well be rural northern Canada
Germany: Everyday is Oktoberfest there! Put your lederhosen on!!! Huge beers and knockwursts for all!!!! No speed limit.
Romania: Wasn't this once part of Russia?? Nobody knows anything about Romania!
Belarus: Wasn't this once part of Russia?? Nobody knows anything about Belarus!
Bulgaria: Wasn't this once part of Russia?? Nobody knows anything about Bulgaria!
Macedonia: Macedonia is still around?? I thought this was an ancient land that was conquered by Alexander the great.
Mongolia: Frozen version of China.
Paraguay: Is this the place with the gangs?
Uruguay: You mean Paraguay?
Guatamala: Hold on. Nicaragua is the place with the drugs and gangs.
Nicaragua: Hold on a minute. I f%#@d up.... Gutamala has the gangs and Nicaragua has the drugs.
Costa Rica: The gleaming jewel of central America. Tropical beaches, rainforests, and monkeys in trees.
Columbia: Dusty farms with roosters, a little like Mexico. 2 largest exports are Cocaine and coffee
Belgium: Waffles and chocolate.
The Netherlands: You mean Holland? The place with windmills, wooden shoes, and tulips!
India: People brushing their teeth and bathing in the Ganges river where rotting corpses drift by. No AC anywhere.
UAE: Over the top skyscrapers in the middle east. Western style malls. Rich Arabs in head dress driving ferrarris
South Africa: Racial tensions!! worse than the US!!
Greenland: a barren ice sheet
Iceland: Should probably be a part of Russia
New Zealand: I loved Lord of the Rings!!!!! New Zealanders take great pride for living in Gondor proper!
Jamaica: Black dudes with dreadlocks smoking big fat doobies listening to Bob Marley. Great beaches. Locals resent tourists despite depending on them

Last edited by tailsock; 07-20-2017 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 05:50 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,385,907 times
United States: Los Angeles. It seems to be at the most far-out edge of U.S. culture, leading the trends. Hollywood. Plus, glamour and grit side-by-side.

UK: Gloucester. Medieval stuff, Victorian stuff, modern stuff... just quintessentially Brit.

Australia: Cairns. Great Barrier Reef country...

Mexico: Guadalajara... mariachi!

France: Bordeaux. Tough choice due to all the regional differences, but I think Bordeaux is closest to my notions about the French countryside.

Italy: Florence. The Renaissance still looms large everywhere.

China: Shanghai... the modern skyline is the first one that comes to mind when I picture a Chinese city today.

Canada: Ottawa. Long cold winters; part English, part French, part everyone else, from everywhere else; the local football team's mascot is a giant lumberjack; and there are tons of maple syrup "sugar bushes" outside of the city.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:27 PM

10,773 posts, read 23,911,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I think Chicago encapsulates so many American city trates, more than most cities I can think of. I mean, the place just screams Americana, it's good enough for a rounded stereotype of an American city.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:25 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,940,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Canada: Everyone is a hockey fan; their entire world centers around the NHL. They put maple syrup on everything
Mexico: Most people outside of resort towns live in impoverished dusty villas like in the 3 amigos and eat tacos all day.
Brazil: Thongs on the beach. Shantytowns and petty crime outside of Rio.
UK: Bad teeth. Expensive. Terrible cuisine. Everyone drinks warm beer & loves football. Largely Medieval outside of London.
Ireland: People with red hair drinking Guinness in pubs. Sheep and hills dominate the country.
Scotland: Like Ireland but there are guys playing bagpipes in the hills
Syria: Hell on earth. Scorching heat. Everything blown to bits.
France: Endless wine country with little variation. Chateaus and castles. Some guy wearing a beret holding a baguette
China: Terribly overcrowded cities choking in smog/air pollution. Petite men, most under 5' 9". Fish soup for breakfast
Japan: Samurais and ninjas have showdowns. Everyone under 21 watches anime and eats sushi. All girls have Hello Kitty stuff
Australia: Dusty deserts and friendly people who all look/dress like Paul Hogan from Crocodile Dundee. Sydney is their NYC.
Spain: Everyone takes a siesta, eats dinner at 9PM, and drinks sangria. Flamenco and bullfights are what's important.
Nigeria: Are you kidding me? Geez look at the flies on that one's face. Honey can you get my wallet out of the truck? I'm calling the number on the screen.
Russia: Moscow and St. Petersburg look great. Vodka and Caviar!! The rest of the country might as well be rural northern Canada
Germany: Everyday is Oktoberfest there! Put your lederhosen on!!! Huge beers and knockwursts for all!!!! No speed limit.
Romania: Wasn't this once part of Russia?? Nobody knows anything about Romania!
Belarus: Wasn't this once part of Russia?? Nobody knows anything about Belarus!
Bulgaria: Wasn't this once part of Russia?? Nobody knows anything about Bulgaria!
Macedonia: Macedonia is still around?? I thought this was an ancient land that was conquered by Alexander the great.
Mongolia: Frozen version of China.
Paraguay: Is this the place with the gangs?
Uruguay: You mean Paraguay?
Guatamala: Hold on. Nicaragua is the place with the drugs and gangs.
Nicaragua: Hold on a minute. I f%#@d up.... Gutamala has the gangs and Nicaragua has the drugs.
Costa Rica: The gleaming jewel of central America. Tropical beaches, rainforests, and monkeys in trees.
Columbia: Dusty farms with roosters, a little like Mexico. 2 largest exports are Cocaine and coffee
Belgium: Waffles and chocolate.
The Netherlands: You mean Holland? The place with windmills, wooden shoes, and tulips!
India: People brushing their teeth and bathing in the Ganges river where rotting corpses drift by. No AC anywhere.
UAE: Over the top skyscrapers in the middle east. Western style malls. Rich Arabs in head dress driving ferrarris
South Africa: Racial tensions!! worse than the US!!
Greenland: a barren ice sheet
Iceland: Should probably be a part of Russia
New Zealand: I loved Lord of the Rings!!!!! New Zealanders take great pride for living in Gondor proper!
Jamaica: Black dudes with dreadlocks smoking big fat doobies listening to Bob Marley. Great beaches. Locals resent tourists despite depending on them
You've completely missed the purpose of this thread.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 PM

11,655 posts, read 13,023,094 times
Australia: Small towns within a picturesque semi-arid bushland (a la, Alice Springs):

https://www.abcfriends.org.au/wp-con...-over-city.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-23-2017 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World