Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
11,655 posts, read 12,982,505 times
Reputation: 6391

Advertisements

Greece
Italy
Spain
Philippines
Malta
Canada
Australia
USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2017, 03:00 AM
 
6,469 posts, read 8,201,438 times
Reputation: 5520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
One thing is saying you're empathetic another is acting upon it. Also that "empathy" may only stretch to their "own kind". I don't see Saudi Arabia wanting to help Syrians, Yemenis or Iranians.
No, they do not even want to help fellow Arab Muslims. I bet their empathy only extends to people in their own tribe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 03:12 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
27,232 posts, read 13,521,447 times
Reputation: 19588
I would have thought the most empathetic countries would be those with free healthcare, decent education for all, good life chances and social mobility whatever hand you have been dealt in life, also help for the poorrst through social housing and welfare, good caring mental health services for those unfortunate enough to suffer from mental illness and a strong sene of community and community engagement and support for people going through tough times as oppossed to selfish individualism.

A place where the old and vulnerable are looked after and treated with respect and where there is empathy and understanding of life circumstances.

That is how I would judge an empatheti society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 07:43 AM
AFP
 
7,412 posts, read 6,913,122 times
Reputation: 6632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I would have thought the most empathetic countries would be those with free healthcare, decent education for all, good life chances and social mobility whatever hand you have been dealt in life, also help for the poorrst through social housing and welfare, good caring mental health services for those unfortunate enough to suffer from mental illness and a strong sene of community and community engagement and support for people going through tough times as oppossed to selfish individualism.

A place where the old and vulnerable are looked after and treated with respect and where there is empathy and understanding of life circumstances.

That is how I would judge an empatheti society.
Which countries best fit this criteria? The USA isn't very empathetic having lived here most of my life I can tell you the empathy is quite superficial in general and those that do help often times are looking for recognition which is so self serving.

Last edited by AFP; 07-22-2017 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 08:03 AM
 
5,214 posts, read 4,031,404 times
Reputation: 3468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Greece
Italy
Spain
Philippines
Malta
Canada
Australia
USA
Remove the last 3 and I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,585,263 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
True, but interestingly enough, Scandinavian countries rank the highest in life satisfaction, yet they didn't fare particularly well in this study. If they did, then I would have also come to the conclusion that this study is about satisfaction rather than empathy.

I also would have expected discrepancies in empathy (if any even exist in the first place) to be regional, rather than international, if that makes sense. But if you look at the top ten list, it ranges from Peru to Saudi Arabia to South Korea to the US.

Once again, I have my doubts about the study- hence the question mark in the thread title- but I wanted to see what everyone else thought.
This alone makes me think the study is pretty useless.

"There's the fact that the surveys were all conducted in English, and that the results relied on self-reporting by the volunteers. The study also did not distinguish between feelings of empathy toward people in the participants' own country versus those in other countries."

Most of the countries listed aren't English speaking...heck even in Canada you are possibly cutting out millions of French speaking Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
11,655 posts, read 12,982,505 times
Reputation: 6391
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Remove the last 3 and I agree.
Australians do have a lot of folks with Maltese, Greek and Italian ancestry. So maybe that's why I felt the need to list it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
16,225 posts, read 27,460,993 times
Reputation: 31496
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
No, they do not even want to help fellow Arab Muslims. I bet their empathy only extends to people in their own tribe.
Sounds a lot like Mormons - their charity extends as far as the members of their own tribe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
Reputation: 13125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Sounds a lot like Mormons - their charity extends as far as the members of their own tribe.
You could not conceivably be more wrong. The LDS Church does an enormous amount of humanitarian work worldwide. Millions of people in dozens of countries benefit from their work and it is done with absolutely no strings attached. I don't know if you're honestly ignorant of the facts, or just have a thing against Mormons, but your statement is wrong, wrong, wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 02:39 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
27,232 posts, read 13,521,447 times
Reputation: 19588
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Which countries best fit this criteria? The USA isn't very empathetic having lived here most of my life I can tell you the empathy is quite superficial in general and those that do help often times are looking for recognition which is so self serving.
The Scandinanvian countries look after their people well and have high rates of social mobility.

Even things like state paid funeral costs for the poor make a big difference at a difficult time in a persons life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top