Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 07:59 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Fort Knox - they just wouldn't let me in to see the gold.
Bradford- They said I wasn't cool enough to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:53 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Bradford- They said I wasn't cool enough to visit.
Bradford is much cooler than Barnsley.

Avoid Royston Vasey though, as' you'll never leave'.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:56 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Yeah well, the question is why would poor people come to the US for their vacation? Aren't they most probably rather looking for employment?

You HAVE to prove that you are willing to go home. You can do that by providing job and income information or any other documents that convince the authorities that you are likely to return home and not staying in the US for employment illegally. The less you have to lose elsewhere, the more they have to make sure that you go back. While this procedure may be unfair in the single cases, overall it proved to be quite efficient.

However, that still does not make the US a hard place to visit. How many of those
"people from the majority of countries in the world" do have the money for a flight to the US plus like 2 weeks of accomodation, food etc. ?
Mate the average salary in countries like Poland or Peru or Brazil or Russia is $600 a month, not $60. I assure you there are many people who can afford a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the US

Old 07-21-2017, 08:59 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Mate the average salary in countries like Poland or Peru or Brazil or Russia is $600 a month, not $60. I assure you there are many people who can afford a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the US
I guess if they provide all necessairy data (including job information and bank account statement) they will not have a problem to do so, as long as they provide proper travel plans with a return ticket.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
I guess if they provide all necessairy data (including job information and bank account statement) they will not have a problem to do so, as long as they provide proper travel plans with a return ticket.
That is too much tho. Do you provide all of this data when you travel to other countries? Return ticket is fine, but the rest is too much man. Along with making people pay like $200 just to enter, I think that is bs. Why do you make Russians pay this, but not Brits or Germans? What is the difference?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
That is too much tho. Do you provide all of this data when you travel to other countries? Return ticket is fine, but the rest is too much man. Along with making people pay like $200 just to enter, I think that is bs. Why do you make Russians pay this, but not Brits or Germans? What is the difference?
Depends on the country where I am going. For Russia I also have to pay like $150. For China it is similar.

The difference is that probably they made experiences with Russians wanting to stay illegaly. Germans are also sent back home when there is even a little evidence that they are unwilling to return home or they seek illegal employment. I girl was rejected entrance by CBP last year because on Facebook she wrote something about taking care of the kids of her friends or relatives living in the US and US officials took this as illegal employment.

This thread is not about which countries could you easily go to after providing information they request, but it is about countries that you can just not enter easily, regardless of what kind of documents you may provide.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:38 PM

525 posts, read 453,875 times
Quote:
How is visiting the US hard?
For some countries, maybe. But not for the majority of tourists.
Sometimes my family and I have a hard time returning to the US, and we're US citizens. Last time, for instance, it took us over two hours after we got off the plane to make it to baggage claims because my dad was detained for no reason. I'm not even gonna get into my (non-US) cousin's hours-long interrogation when he came to visit!

Old 07-21-2017, 02:21 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Yeah well, the question is why would poor people come to the US for their vacation? Aren't they most probably rather looking for employment?

You HAVE to prove that you are willing to go home. You can do that by providing job and income information or any other documents that convince the authorities that you are likely to return home and not staying in the US for employment illegally. The less you have to lose elsewhere, the more they have to make sure that you go back. While this procedure may be unfair in the single cases, overall it proved to be quite efficient.

However, that still does not make the US a hard place to visit. How many of those
"people from the majority of countries in the world" do have the money for a flight to the US plus like 2 weeks of accomodation, food etc. ?
Some have friends or relatives in the US, who would put them up. And I'm not sure why you assume they'd be unemployed. Being employed doesn't qualify you for a US visa; you have to have a certain amount of money in the bank, preferably at the local Bank of America, if there is one. Of course it makes the US a hard place to visit. I was simply refuting your statement that it wasn't hard to visit "for the majority of tourists".

A friend of mine from Ecuador married a woman in Colorado. She had a lawyer arrange the fiance visa. For the wedding, the embassy let his sisters and mother come to the US. However, after that, no more visas to family members. He and his wife wanted to invite his mother, in her 70's, or whatever, to come for one visit, just to give her a treat in her old age, but--no dice. She had already been to the US once, and returned, so usually, that's good enough--it's proof she wouldn't abuse the visa. But they wouldn't give it to her. The US is definitely hard to visit, unless you're from a developed country, or are very solidly middle-class, which is more like upper-middle class, in the developing world.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:

Goodness, you have a lack of experience with this.

The "proof" basically comes down to the consular officer, and that is all. It is a fallacy to prove you are not going to do something, in this case, prove that you are not going to illegally stay in the US. That is like saying to you "prove to me you are not going to murder someone" and locking you in prison until you submit this proof.

As I mentioned I have relatives, immediate relatives, that have never been granted a visa, despite their long standing employment, family ties, and jobs. Me having a job and my wealth plays no role in the determination of granting a relative a visa.

The illegal stay also is not a factor despite what BS is put out. Mexico, having the largest illegal immigrant population in the US, and the largest percent of visa over stayers, also has among the lowest visa rejection rate.

The one relative that has been granted a visa to visit me did not even have a job when she was granted a visa.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:10 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Bradford is much cooler than Barnsley.

Avoid Royston Vasey though, as' you'll never leave'.
It was meant to be a joke because of all the Bradford topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World